• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT 1st Class Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fincra5

Established Member
Hey i was considering buying lunch tomorrow in 1st class on EMT. Basically i would like to know if the food is actually any good, is it worth the price or should i get a sandwich later on?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
You will get "free basic rations"
I tend not to purchase on the train where only drinks and snacks are offered, buying my own before travel (such as three salads from M&S Simply Food for £6)
I travelled on EMT during my ALR, didn't visit the shop, and wasn't asked by the host if I wanted to order anything; seems they want you to go to the shop and pay yourself

There's the current price list :
http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk...E3-4E6A-BBBB-3A1106694E29/0/FC_BuffetMenu.pdf

Failed Unit

Established Member
You will get "free basic rations"
I tend not to purchase on the train where only drinks and snacks are offered, buying my own before travel (such as three salads from M&S Simply Food for £6)
I travelled on EMT during my ALR, didn't visit the shop, and wasn't asked by the host if I wanted to order anything; seems they want you to go to the shop and pay yourself

There's the current price list :
http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk...E3-4E6A-BBBB-3A1106694E29/0/FC_BuffetMenu.pdf

I have heard that cash only as well, no credit cards any more. Anyone confirm if this is true?

TomE

I have heard that cash only as well, no credit cards any more. Anyone confirm if this is true?

Yes, thats correct.

I've travelled in 1st on EMT quite a bit recently, mainly on Meridians, and the service has always been excellent, although I haven't quite worked out when exactly they do full at seat service and when they don't. It seems to be a bit random.

Tom.

The food is fantastic on EMT in 1st Class I have tried it twice recently, and its really good. For First Class customers you can pay via card, the TM will process it as a Sundry Item on Avantix.

Fincra5

Established Member
Well i travelled on EMT 1st class today. Service was good and the food was nice, well my croque-monsieur was anyway :) A rather odd choice of complement with my meal was crips.

Not complaining though :D.

Dolive22

Fincra5, I would guess that you got crisps because a standard meal would be Carbs/main (often a sandwich) + crisps + drink.

EMT's onboard catering is quite hit and miss.

Breakfast in 1st class is good on the trains that have a travelling chef (see posting above), otherwise I wouldn't make it a deciding factor between 1st and Standard class (better fare from M&S or own picnic). The newly refurbished HSTs are good in 1st with at-seat power points. You only get power in Standard on the Meridians.

Before Christmas it was a regular occurance for there to be no buffet "due to staff shortages". In the 5+5 configuration Meridians it was frequent for the buffet to be open in one half but not the other. Which was OK for 50% of the train, but with no gangway between the two halves not much good for the other 50%. I started to note in my diary when the buffet was open, and it was around 60% of the time.

Since Christmas the staffing is much better and the buffets are open better than 80% of the time. However they seem to have abondoned their electronic tills so they only take cash. This has also added delays as they write out manual reciepts and update manual stock-control sheets. It looks unprofessional to see them keeping change in paper cups and running tallies on paper napkins. The knock on of the lack of electronic stock control also seems to be that they open the buffet later and close it earlier. The other week on the 1hr 50min journey from Nottingham to London the buffet was open for about 40 mins.

Tonight on the 1715 STP-NOT there is no buffet, because their is no buffet car (according to the announcement). Its an HST set and I have wandered up the train to see if aliens have stolen the buffet car, or if it is away for the new livery, or if in fact it is just shut. But apparently there will be a trolley service.

Still on the whole, given a choice at being good at running trains or running catering I'll settle for the former. And in 18 months commuting EMT have never maded me late for a meeting - even if I'm hungry and thirsty when I get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.