• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT First Class question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

Just had an option to upgrade to first class on a journey I'm booking, the 1047 out of Sheffield to London St Pancras on Friday 14th September. Obviously this is an advance ticket, but its only £1.30 more each I think, what could I expect in First Class on EMT at that time? Is it worth it?

Cheers

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Larger seat and free WiFi. Fewer screbs. Coffee, tea, biscuits and juices. Option to purchase hot food at a very reasonable price.

£1.30 is an absolute no-brainer, surely?! :s

Bungle

Fewer screbs.

If this was the only reason then it'd still be worth more than the £1.30. I've travelled in 1st a lot recently and had to use standard for the first time in a while last week - I was already fed up five minutes after leaving St Pancras. The usual stuff with loud iPods / noisy kids and useless parents / luggage everywhere / general 'screbbishness' that I won't bother going into in detail as it's been discussed enough on these boards.

For that price, as the contributor above has already said - an absolute no-brainer.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Go for it, no thought required. Even on the TOCs where first class in basically just a antimacassar (South Eastern) I'd probably go for it at £1.30!

calc7

Established Member
If this was the only reason then it'd still be worth more than the £1.30. I've travelled in 1st a lot recently and had to use standard for the first time in a while last week - I was already fed up five minutes after leaving St Pancras. The usual stuff with loud iPods / noisy kids and useless parents / luggage everywhere / general 'screbbishness' that I won't bother going into in detail as it's been discussed enough on these boards.

For that price, as the contributor above has already said - an absolute no-brainer.

In full agreement.
Does it make me stuck-up? Maybe.
Does it add value to my journey? Definitely.

ainsworth74 said:
Go for it, no thought required. Even on the TOCs where first class in basically just a antimacassar (South Eastern) I'd probably go for it at £1.30!

Yes - me too!

Chapeltom

Established Member
Done it. Can't wait. I'm not even telling my mate who I'm going with, he'll get a shock on the day. Going to stick out in jeans, trainers, hoodie and football shirt! Of course, I'm going down to see Sheffield Wednesday play at Brighton that night! :)

Chapeltom

Established Member
Took a EMT HST from Sheffield to Nottingham on my way to Colchester in April. Superb in standard. Never done 1st before, ever, so can't wait.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Took a EMT HST from Sheffield to Nottingham on my way to Colchester in April. Superb in standard. Never done 1st before, ever, so can't wait.

The service is booked to be a Meridan and I doubt that you'll get a HST subbed onto the service is the booked unit is unavailable.

That service is also serving hot food in first class so should you feel peckish you'd be able to avail yourself of this menu.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Nice. Doesn't matter about the rolling stock. I really can't wait. Suppose I've been due some good luck for a while, I may just have got it! Will save trying to find food in central London, sounds a tasty menu and I'm not a fussy eater. I'm glad its a 2hr 27 long journey and not a 2hr 07 one!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
For £1.30 extra, it has got to be worth it on any intercity service without a shadow of doubt.

They have some very good offerings in First Class. Cheeseburger is one of my favourites: chunky wedges, salad and proper melted cheese, not one of those cheap cheese substitutes. Alternatively the ploughman's is also a very decent quantity. All for £5.

Robinson

I've also got EMT 1st Advance tickets for my upcoming trip to Manchester, travelling from St Pancras via Sheffield. (Combined with Southern standard Advances between Southampton and London Victoria.) I'm travelling out on August 1st, back on the 6th so I'll be sure to report back on my experience. :D

Established Member
That's the unfortunate thing about Sheff - St. P - most services are Meridians. Although the Meridians are much better than Voyagers, I still prefer a good old HST.

calc7

Established Member
That's the unfortunate thing about Sheff - St. P - most services are Meridians. Although the Meridians are much better than Voyagers, I still prefer a good old HST.

Agreed - given the opportunity I always try and book a HST on this route.
Over on the WCML there isn't that differential so the Pendos don't bother me! :)

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Fewer screbs

What is a "Screb"?

If this was the only reason then it'd still be worth more than the £1.30. I've travelled in 1st a lot recently and had to use standard for the first time in a while last week - I was already fed up five minutes after leaving St Pancreas. The usual stuff with loud iPods / noisy kids and useless parents / luggage everywhere / general 'screbbishness' that I won't bother going into in detail as it's been discussed enough on these boards.

Ah! Now I see. I had the misfortune to sit beside a rather loud family (from a place called Hull I believe) between York & Edinburgh yesterday! Loud, obnoxious, smelly, feet on seats, ringtones, single parent issues, not really sure about the relationship between the male & female traveller? The clincher was the nappy changing episode on the table - whilst the rather ****less mother ate a bag of monster munch! - disgusting!! I really hoped that they would be alighting at Berwick for the holiday camps so at least the last 50 mins of my trip would be in peace but to no avail!

Not really East Coast's fault but surely there is a place for the reintroduction of Second Class where gentille folk who don't quite have the spending power of our richer brethren in First can be seated away from the general riff raff.

Introducing a dress code would also be a step in the right direction. No shell suits for a start! Yes that is a stereotype but stereotypes are there for a reason as in most cases they are true!

Rant over!

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Hi all

Just had an option to upgrade to first class on a journey I'm booking, the 1047 out of Sheffield to London St Pancras on Friday 14th September. Obviously this is an advance ticket, but its only £1.30 more each I think, what could I expect in First Class on EMT at that time? Is it worth it?

Cheers

Tom

As others have said, for the sake of £1.30 it's a no brainer. I've done this before when coming home from Uni - Exeter to Bristol has been around £2 more expensive in first class - so effectively a cup of tea more expensive that I may well have bought anyway. Add to that the free newspaper, more space, other free snacks, I defo made the right choice ;)

A favourite of mine was an advance bought a couple of days in advance for a Newquay - Pad HST in May, for Newquay to Plymouth. "Want to sit in first class then sir? That will be 30p less than standard then please sir." (I was aware of the price difference before mind :) )

Chapeltom

Established Member
Well I can't wait anyway. I guess we'd not be able to use the 1st Class Lounge with 1st Advances before hand or could we? Read conflicting info.

All Line Rover

Established Member
At Sheffield, yes you can. Advance tickets are only restricted at the St Pancras First Class lounge during the evening peak. (Which isn't a great loss, as it is extremely basic compared to the rest of the wonderful station).

Yew

Established Member
Yeah advance tickets allow access into sheffield lounge. maybe arrive a few mins early to grab some free snacks. On my journeys from mansfield to london Ive considered getting an earlier connection it raid the lounge (and also to see what its like)

I hope you have a nice journey, I always do :)

34D

Established Member
What is a "Screb"?

Ah! Now I see. I had the misfortune to sit beside a rather loud family (from a place called Hull I believe) between York & Edinburgh yesterday! Loud, obnoxious, smelly, feet on seats, ringtones, single parent issues, not really sure about the relationship between the male & female traveller? The clincher was the nappy changing episode on the table - whilst the rather ****less mother ate a bag of monster munch! - disgusting!! I really hoped that they would be alighting at Berwick for the holiday camps so at least the last 50 mins of my trip would be in peace but to no avail!

Not really East Coast's fault but surely there is a place for the reintroduction of Second Class where gentille folk who don't quite have the spending power of our richer brethren in First can be seated away from the general riff raff.

Introducing a dress code would also be a step in the right direction. No shell suits for a start! Yes that is a stereotype but stereotypes are there for a reason as in most cases they are true!

Rant over!

Personally I'd like to see a cattle class with wooden seats for the scroats.

Status
Not open for further replies.