• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT HST Nottm to Skegness

Status
Not open for further replies.
The HST I saw on crewe to derby line was in service though, was it still a football special?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Here's another one a clip I found on YouTube (not mine) of a HST passing through Uttoxeter - seems a waste of power going that slow

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I had assumed extra capacity was provided for races at uttoxeter for example

Oh gosh no! The local paper has a reporter and photographer at the station every race now to capture the several hundred waiting for a 153 to roll into the station, but EMT don't seem bothered, but it is quite a local attraction now! EMT blame no spare trains, but the local paper now send a photographer to Derby too, and take photos of spare trains there for the couple of hours that they were needed on a Uttoxeter run. EMT got a bit embarrassed I believe, but still only send a 153!

Oh gosh no! The local paper has a reporter and photographer at the station every race now to capture the several hundred waiting for a 153 to roll into the station, but EMT don't seem bothered, but it is quite a local attraction now! EMT blame no spare trains, but the local paper now send a photographer to Derby too, and take photos of spare trains there for the couple of hours that they were needed on a Uttoxeter run. EMT got a bit embarrassed I believe, but still only send a 153!
I tend to see 158+153 or +156 on Sundays on that line yet 153's during rush hour. I have seen 222's on the route before

Established Member
Just because stock is in a siding at Derby doesn't mean it can be used...

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Just because stock is in a siding at Derby doesn't mean it can be used...

Indeed. However, it is interesting in this day of copy-past-cut-cost journalism that the paper (Derby Telegraph or what?) and/or journalists bothered to do this. It would not be impossible that they were tipped off, and that the stabled HST (s) were, in fact, spare. Or at least some insider believed they were.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I think it is just the fact that it is now a standing joke that a single coach 153 turns up on race days, so they try to make even more of the story. Possibly egged on by local coach companies plying for trade! As EMT can, and do, strengthen for other things, it seems to outsiders that it is not necessary to send a 153 for hundreds of passengers, particularly when it is just one trip usually that needs strengthening.

CyrixDes

EMT do strengthen for racedays at Uttoxeter....I can absolutely guarantee that and all racedays are pre-planned for double 153s for normal events and 222's/3 and 4 car sprinters for the 'big' events at Uttoxeter like the Midlands Grand National (which this year are planned 2 x 222's and a rake of 153's) and the big event in December (think it's the Marstons beer festival?). What is physically available on the day is a different story.....EMT aren't exactly flush for stock....

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Here's another one a clip I found on YouTube (not mine) of a HST passing through Uttoxeter - seems a waste of power going that slow
That'll be because the signal was on, so the train had to slow down to wait for that to clear. Linespeed there is low because of the curve.

They do sometimes strengthen, but not on uttoxeter race days!
Rubbish. All racedays have units strengthened, last one I worked was 4 cars.

Qwerty133

Established Member
EMT do strengthen for racedays at Uttoxeter....I can absolutely guarantee that and all racedays are pre-planned for double 153s for normal events and 222's/3 and 4 car sprinters for the 'big' events at Uttoxeter like the Midlands Grand National (which this year are planned 2 x 222's and a rake of 153's) and the big event in December (think it's the Marstons beer festival?). What is physically available on the day is a different story.....EMT aren't exactly flush for stock....
CT used to borrow 150s from the snow hill lines at weekends to strengthen services in the east midlands but the DafT stopped that being an option by splitting the franchise despite it making much more sense with the peak demands in the 2 areas often being at times the other area was relatively quiet.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
CT used to borrow 150s from the snow hill lines at weekends to strengthen services in the east midlands but the DafT stopped that being an option by splitting the franchise despite it making much more sense with the peak demands in the 2 areas often being at times the other area was relatively quiet.

Who would have thought the DFT making things worse?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
2019 HST times appear to be 07:53 Derby-Skegness and 11:40 return. Every Saturday 20/07/2019 to 07/09/2019

cactustwirly

Established Member
Will it be a full sized HST or one of the 2+6 Ex-GC ones this year?

I imagine the 43/0s again, as there are spares in case of failures, and the ex GC sets aren't in a brilliant mechanical state apparently

Established Member
Will it be a full sized HST or one of the 2+6 Ex-GC ones this year?
The second service which starts and finishes at Nottingham will be a full size set as it comes empty from Leeds. The Derby run could be a short set but that could be if the large set is not available. They have been to skegness a few times with the short sets on training I believe.

The second service which starts and finishes at Nottingham will be a full size set as it comes empty from Leeds. The Derby run could be a short set but that could be if the large set is not available. They have been to skegness a few times with the short sets on training I believe.

Do you have the timings for the second set

cactustwirly

Established Member

They'll both be full sized HSTs then.
Or else they'll have to train the staff twice, as the 43/4s have a different cab/door controls.
Plus there are more spare 43/0s in case of a failure

WesternLancer

Established Member
Am I right to think 1st class is declassified on these Skeg runs, or do they go for a w/end 1st type supplement (which would be a good idea in my view)?

duffield

Established Member
Am I right to think 1st class is declassified on these Skeg runs, or do they go for a w/end 1st type supplement (which would be a good idea in my view)?

I'm sure it's declassified but it's a good place to sit since some people are still reluctant to use it. (Based on observing these services sitting at Nottingham; I haven't actually travelled on one).

Silver Cobra

From my experience of using the Summer Saturday HSTs from Sleaford to Skegness, first class is declassified (there are no first class fares between Derby and Skegness, so it would be run purely on upgrades if first class was enforced).

When I used it last year, the train manager made an announcement about the buffet being open if anyone wanted to purchase refreshments. Whether that means the actual buffet/shop is open or a trolley is being operated in that carriage, I couldn't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.