• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT HST running with only one power car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

laseandre

Established Member
Because HST Mk 3s are 3 phase and LHCS Mk 3s are 1 phase or vice versa.

Darandio

Established Member
The Stobart Mk3s are LHCS yes. But why would the electrics be different Darandio

I confess that I dont have a great deal of knowledge on it but I can recall that modifications had to be made to the GC coaching stock regarding the electrics.

rail-britain

Established Member
If a Class 67 couples directly to a Mark 3 coach on the HST, then it will not be coupled up to the electrics, the fittings alone are different

A Class 90 or 91 may be able to, providing it has retained the buckeye coupling (which I believe the Class 90 no longer have)

The DRS stock is Mark 3a or Mark 3b so any loco coupled up will be able to provide electric, except a Class 43 loco or any without ETS

The NMT had its own electric power supply, hence why the Mark 2 coaches could be used
I am not sure if the same still applies

class 313

Established Member
It used to run with some mk2s in the consist but is now fully mk3

Are you sure? Do you not mean the OMT?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A Class 90 or 91 may be able to, providing it has retained the buckeye coupling (which I believe the Class 90 no longer have)

National Express East Anglia 90s still retain buckeyes.

rail-britain

Established Member
The NMT or New Measurement Train, used to operate in a very short formation as the UltraSonic Test Train 977983
What is the OMT, presumably Overhead Measurement Train or Mentor?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was common with the NMT before it went to all mk3s.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Christ all this froth over a HST minus one power car!

Used to happen all the time back in BR service, I believe I've seen a phot of a IC HST with one less power car on the N.Wales coast in service IIRC?
And Loader, HST Mk.3s are 415v 3-phase and the connections are totally different from Mk3a/b locomotive hauled stock, hence why the coaches for Grand Central was converted to HST standards from.... Mk3a/b loco hauled stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.