• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

End of the heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
Finally some rain (and thunder and lightning ;)). Poor buggers at the local international airshow though :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
End of the heat? Naah. We've had a couple of thunderstorms in the past couple of weeks and it just seems to get hotter each time. Got thundery showers forecast here for today, then temperaturs rising back up to the high 20's/low 30's by mid-week. :)

Coxster

Established Member
Lewisham2221 said:
End of the heat? Naah. We've had a couple of thunderstorms in the past couple of weeks and it just seems to get hotter each time. Got thundery showers forecast here for today, then temperaturs rising back up to the high 20's/low 30's by mid-week. :)
It's certainly cooled down here for the time being - lovely! I was sweating earlier and now I'm just comfortably sitting back.

Tom B

Established Member
Hah! It's been raining a bit but still too bloody hot...

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
its still bloody hot here..... I'm praying for a thunderstorm.... it's not nice working in this heat... especially in a non-air con kitchen,

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You should see the massive storm here now

eezypeazy

And a weather report from the North East... torrential rain this morning, until 0830, then a glorious day again; so eezypeazy and eezypeazy jnr took the train Wylam-Hexham, cycled to the Boatside Inn at Warden for lunch (and a pint for me!) and back to Hexham again...

Mushroom

I think Manchester may be in for a storm. the humidity has been slowly rising all day and is becoming unbearable .

Bring on the storms!

Coxster

Established Member
I spoke to soon - the rain has cleared and temperatore risen :(

ChrisM

All went dark for about 10 minutes before we had thunder,lightning and heavy rain for another 45 minutes.
Now it's too hot and sticky.

Tom B

Established Member
Lots of thunder here earlier, but it's calmed down now. "Thundry showers dying out" said the forecast.

Sprinter

Oddly, here in north east London, (where you think it would of been humid due to the mini-climate a large city produces) we only got the rain, no thunder or lightning at all. Boring! Love a good storm!!

Although it did bucket it down, the effect only lasted a short while before the humidity soared back up again.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
We had a pretty cool thunderstorm here although there wasn't much lightning and it passed over quite quick (not suprising, since when I looked up before it started, the clouds were moving very fast). As it approached though we had some very heavy rain and strong wind for a good 15mins, and the entire band of rain lasted a good hour. We had some rain earlier on aswell, although not as heavy. This evening though we got some sun, although luckely not enough to dry everything out (give it plenty of chance to soak in). Nice and cool, although still humid (after the storm I kept my eye on the humidity gauge and it went from 60% to over 70%), so a lot of the rooms, especially my bedroom which is on the south side, are quite hot.

Dave A

In North London its been raining on and off all day. This morning it bucketed down, then the sun came out and it was terribly humid! This afternoon it cooled down quite a bit as the clouds seem to cover the sun just before it had a chance to heat up!

As for the hot weather being over, not a chance! - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml - 36c on Thursday!!!

I know its BBC weather, the most un-reliable weather in the world, IMO, but unless there is a dramatic change in wind direction, speed, pressure etc, then the hot weather will be here to stay for a while. :(

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No idea why people think that a thunderstorm means the end of a hot spell, as thunderstorms result from hot weather! (You don't tend to get thunderstorms in Winter ;))

"It is set to remain warm if not hot over the next few weeks. It will be largely dry and sunny but showers are likely in the south later." - BBC weather outlook :D

Coxster

Established Member
yorkie said:
No idea why people think that a thunderstorm means the end of a hot spell, as thunderstorms result from hot weather!
Because it started to cool down!

nutter

Because the lightning evaporates any humidity, and the rain is so cool it cools down due to there been no humidity to cover the rain water's coolness

Thats the 'technical' explanation anyway ;)

Coxster

Established Member
nutter said:
Because the lightning evaporates any humidity, and the rain is so cool it cools down due to there been no humidity to cover the rain water's coolness

Thats the 'technical' explanation anyway ;)
Could've lived without that ;)

ChrisCooper

Established Member
According to the longer term forcasts, we're not out of the heat yet, with temperatures predicted in the high 30s again later next week, but winds are expected to come off the continent, which means it will be much less humid, so much more pleasent, rarther than the previous winds we've been having off the Atlantic. Also, it's predicted well get back to a more normal level of railfall, with thundery showers later this week, and in the coming weeks. The rain has done the garden a lot of good. It's gone from very brown in unshaded areas to quite green, and I think it will need cutting for the second time this month (first time was right at the start of the month).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thunder and lightening at Banbury station yesterday - the roof at the bottom of the staircase started leaking and water was gushing down the steps causing a huge puddle in the waiting area.
I got drenched walking through Oxford trying to find a bus because the one I wanted outside the station wasn't running due to some demonstration!

Status
Not open for further replies.