• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enforcement of the new rules on social distancing, unnecessary journeys etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jayden99

On a personal level it's genuinely infuriating that I've not seen my family back in Glasgow for more than 2 months at this point, because I'm sticking to the spirit of the law that BoJo set out, and I've have the book thrown at me if I did something similar to Cummings especially the second time round, yet apparently it's perfectly acceptable for one of Boris' own to swan about the country while he *knew* he was infected and gets off scot free

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I presume the next step in this is for the Oxford dictionary people to remove the word 'Integrity' from it. As a country, it's quite clear we will no longer require it any more.

Genuine low point for Britain. And, my, there's been some contenders for that title in the last 4 years...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On a personal level it's genuinely infuriating that I've not seen my family back in Glasgow for more than 2 months at this point, because I'm sticking to the spirit of the law that BoJo set out, and I've have the book thrown at me if I did something similar to Cummings especially the second time round, yet apparently it's perfectly acceptable for one of Boris' own to swan about the country while he *knew* he was infected and gets off scot free

Well, quite, same here.

He's a hypocrite.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I can’t see how Cummings needed childcare. If someone in the house had symptoms, they all isolate, so he can look after his children perfectly fine.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I agree. I should imagine that not only does Boris see him as some kind of guru, but Cummings no doubt knows a lot of things that the government would rather not come out.
Add to that the fact that ‘fronting it out/nothing to see here’ seems to be the way that things are increasingly done these days I’d have been more astonished if he’d actually gone.
I shouldn't have been surprised at the non-statement then, but in a way I still was, because I don't believe Cummings is any safer now than an hour ago, and if he's forced out (he's obviously not going quietly) in the next few days the call for Johnson's head to roll to will become louder. Does anyone remember when Leadsom and May were going to be the two runners for the Tory leadership, with Leadsom widely tipped to win? I do, because Leadsom had come in for some personal criticism which she and her Tory backers had brushed off, and on the Sunday I remember posting on here that Leadsom would resign and May be appointed by the end of the following week: in fact, it didn't even take that long. I got no backing on here, in fact I was bet money (never received!).
So what happens when further evidence comes out about Cummings's whereabouts in Co Durham, and the apparent fact that his child received no care from relatives while there? The ex-Chief Constable of Durham was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 1 p.m. prog today, and stated his view that Cummings had broken the law and should resign forthwith.
Johnson is obviously as weak a leader as Corbyn was, and his bluster won't save him. This is his anti-semitism moment, and I predict he'll never lose the stigma.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was of the opinion that a change of leadership would be be negative, but at this point that view has changed - he is just not doing anything - he is like a cat in headlights.

nlogax

Established Member
Direct questions coming from the media re Cummings yet the PM has not given a straight reply to any other than to bluster through & move on to the next media person asap.

Why am I not surprised? Appalling!

It was definitely unsurprising. Not sure if you caught the inadvertent brief clip of Peston after he'd asked his questions. He looked liked he'd had enough of the charade of asking Johnson questions. It never bears fruit.

scotrail158713

Established Member
And if he had needed to palm them off on someone else, they should have collected them.
Yep. If he was unwell enough to be unable to look after them, then he shouldn’t be driving 250 miles.
Anyway, I’m going to stay away from the media for the next few hours - mainly to not raise my anger to unsafe levels. :)

philosopher

Established Member
I think Boris is unable to sack Mr Cummins as he is extemely reliant on him to do most of the hard work and I suspect Mr Cummins has quite a bit of dirt on Boris. Therefore I am increasingly thinking that this will be the end of Boris’s political career as Boris is in trouble whatever he does. His only hope now is that this boils over and goes out of the news, which seems unlikely.

If further revelations come out regarding Mr Cummins’s behaviour, I think the hole will be too deep for Boris to climb out of. He will have no choice to sack Mr. Cummins which will probably mean the end of his career too.

jumble

Yep. If he was unwell enough to be unable to look after them, then he shouldn’t be driving 250 miles.
Anyway, I’m going to stay away from the media for the next few hours - mainly to not raise my anger to unsafe levels. :)
Can I ask how you know Cummings himself did the driving and not his wife?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Astonishing tweet just shown on BBC News Channel. It is from the official UK Civil Service a/c and went like this:-

'' Arrogant and offensive

Can you imagine having to work with this bunch of truth twisters.''

Wow, I mean wow wow wow.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wonder if Boris will get a visit from "the men in grey suits". I can't imagine the backbenchers being happy about this.

Djgr

Established Member
But to be fair the Great British Public knew that they were voting for this circus.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Astonishing tweet just shown on BBC News Channel. It is from the official UK Civil Service a/c and went like this:-

Wow, I mean wow wow wow.

Not before about 25k retweets and 38k likes....

BJames

Established Member
I think Boris is unable to sack Mr Cummins as he is extemely reliant on him to do most of the hard work and I suspect Mr Cummins has quite a bit of dirt on Boris. Therefore I am increasingly thinking that this will be the end of Boris’s political career as Boris is in trouble whatever he does. His only hope now is that this boils over and goes out of the news, which seems unlikely.

If further revelations come out regarding Mr Cummins’s behaviour, I think the hole will be too deep for Boris to climb out of. He will have no choice to sack Mr. Cummins which will probably mean the end of his career too.
Interesting interview on Channel 4 from a Conservative backbencher (MP for Wellingborough, Peter Bone I believe). He believes Dominic Cummings is not unsackable and that the government is weaker keeping him on than sacking him. And that Cummings should be doing the right thing himself and resigning as he is an advisor and when the advisor becomes the story, he needs to go.

I've got to add actually that I caught that bit of Peston too - it does sum it all up really. It's funny how quick BoJo was to move on from each journalist this time rather than offering them an opportunity to come back - undermining his credibility even more. But no solace offered - the same question was on everyone's lips.

MikeWM

Established Member
This is almost clever, if I thought the government had it in them to be clever.

They've been far too successful at making people deeply fearful of normal life. They need to reverse that, quickly, else the economic and social consequences will be catastrophic (indeed, they probably already will be).

Getting people angry is probably the most efficient speedy way of overcoming that fear.

So almost clever. But I strongly suspect it is entirely accidental :)

The_Train

Established Member
Direct questions coming from the media re Cummings yet the PM has not given a straight reply to any other than to bluster through & move on to the next media person asap.

Why am I not surprised? Appalling!

The media section of the briefing was truly disgusting. The first person asked a very simple question along the lines of can the rest of the population do what Cummings did and it was ignored by Johnson, then there were multiple occasions where people were cut off whilst still quite obviously trying to make points/ask questions and then the best part was when Johnson tried to force the guy off screen before he could ask a follow up question, only for him to suddenly return and a panicking Johnson asking to go to the next person - clearly someone was in his ear at that point telling him to answer the question (probably Cummings who I assume was hidden in the stand so he could manoeuvre his puppet how he saw fit)

philosopher

Established Member
Interesting interview on Channel 4 from a Conservative backbencher (MP for Wellingborough, Peter Bone I believe). He believes Dominic Cummings is not unsackable and that the government is weaker keeping him on than sacking him. And that Cummings should be doing the right thing himself and resigning as he is an advisor and when the advisor becomes the story, he needs to go.

I've got to add actually that I caught that bit of Peston too - it does sum it all up really. It's funny how quick BoJo was to move on from each journalist this time rather than offering them an opportunity to come back - undermining his credibility even more. But no solace offered - the same question was on everyone's lips.

The problem is that Mr. Cummins does not seem like the type of guy who has the morals to voluntarily resign. He will only go if fired. The fact he has not been fired to me suggests Boris thinks he is unsackable. Hence why I think they will both fall together.

BJames

Established Member
The problem is that Mr. Cummins does not seem like the type of guy who has the morals to voluntarily resign. He will only go if fired. The fact he has not been fired to me suggests Boris thinks he is unsackable. Hence why I think they will both fall together.
Something which 48 hours ago I would have laughed at but Boris isn't giving himself a good image. He completely passed over points about the unenforcability of lockdown, sticking instead to pretend that taking trips halfway across the country was well within the guidance and not allowing the journalists follow up questions. Agreed on Cumming's morals.

brad465

Established Member

Wow, I mean wow wow wow.
Yeah & apparently taken down now....how many are fuming over this total scenario?
Hilarious though it was, it would not be surprising if that was an accident in some way, either by means of a hack or accidentally being tweeted there instead of a personal account (does the civil service account normally tweet on weekends?).

EDIT: This Cabinet Office tweet has been released in repsonse: https://twitter.com/cabinetofficeuk/status/1264613950790008835

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.