• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

England V Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
It was horrible, innocent people lost their lives because of this in the end im glad Nazi germany lost the war, or are you talking about football? hard to tell them apart the way some people have been going on

eos

England players should be asked to donate their pay for these matches to football charities , to encourage better players for the future.. after what is an abysmal failure to do their job.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Anybody who thought Englland were good enough to win the WC obviously don't know about football... sorry, but since '66 England have never been a world-class team. Argentina for the champions :D

David

Established Member
Thoughts, hmmm .....

Upson was playing that bad, Glen Johnson was tracking back into the middle to cover, and that gave the Germans all the space they wanted to play the game at their own pace and style.

Overall, England have not been good enough, and with attacking players like Lampard playing from the halfway line, there has been no support for Rooney.

PS. The referee should have gone to specsavers ....

First class

Established Member
Think referee and his cronies has officiated his last World Cup game today!

GB

Established Member
OK so the score in the end was 4-1, but I still do not understand why FIFA do not introduce some kind of goal line technology...not that it was needed on this occassion as anyone (other than the ref and linesman) could see it was way over the line.

Perhaps FIFA should take a leaf out of motor racings book and adjust the standings accordingly after the match!:roll:

GB

Established Member
If your not bothered about football then why are you bothering to post in this thread?

Established Member
who cares? its just a game

Here we go with the football bashing...

As for the game, if that Lampard lob had been given, that might have swung the impetus towards us. However we'll never know. Apart from that, Upson shouldn't play again for England, and I still don't rate Heskey as a forward. Add on to that half of the others don't seem to have turned up for the whole tournament never mind this game.

CarterUSM

Established Member
OK so the score in the end was 4-1, but I still do not understand why FIFA do not introduce some kind of goal line technology...not that it was needed on this occassion as anyone (other than the ref and linesman) could see it was way over the line.

Perhaps FIFA should take a leaf out of motor racings book and adjust the standings accordingly after the match!:roll:

We'll call it 4-2 then! Seriously though, even an official behind the goal would suffice, i'm sure FIFA commented on the high price of implementing any technology, so it would seem to be dead in the water just now.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Here we go with the football bashing...

As for the game, if that Lampard lob had been given, that might have swung the impetus towards us. However we'll never know. Apart from that, Upson shouldn't play again for England, and I still don't rate Heskey as a forward. Add on to that half of the others don't seem to have turned up for the whole tournament never mind this game.

I am amazed Heskey is deemed good enough to be selected for England, even more amazed that he was brought on!!!

Established Member
What GV said, 22 growen men kicking a ball of air about for 90mins watched by 1000s of other growen men who fail to realise is just a game and cry when they loose

GB

Established Member
We'll call it 4-2 then! Seriously though, even an official behind the goal would suffice, i'm sure FIFA commented on the high price of implementing any technology, so it would seem to be dead in the water just now.

The arguement abouts costs that FIFA put foward is quite an odd one. It would appear that the ref is mic'ed up to someone as it is, surely who ever is on the other end of the mic could help?

On another note, what exactly does the fourth official do?

David

Established Member
who cares? its just a game

What GV said, 22 growen men kicking a ball of air about for 90mins watched by 1000s of other growen men who fail to realise is just a game and cry when they loose

It amazes me .... Here we have a thread to discuss football, yet 2 people who say they don't like the game comment in here, depsite several threads being around which are discussing alternatives to the world cup.

If you don't like football, kindly disappear from the topic please, so people who do like football can discuss what happened ....

Ivo

Established Member
That decision was bleedin' awful. The worst live decision I've ever seen.

...not that it matters. It would have been fully undeserved, and 4-1 was probably about right. Compared to the performance, the decision was good.

You know something is wrong when you lose 4-1 and your best player is the goalkeeper...

David

Established Member
The arguement abouts costs that FIFA put foward is quite an odd one. It would appear that the ref is mic'ed up to someone as it is, surely who ever is on the other end of the mic could help?

The referee is wired up so he can talk with the assistants and the 4th official in the event that something happens which the referee misses, Like when Kaka was (wrongly) sent off.

The 4th official is there to keep the 2 managers, assistant and all the subs behaving, and take over as the man in the middle in case the original referee can't continue for whatever reason.

Daimler

Established Member

I'm not seriously interested in football, so I don't really know the background to all this, but I have been paying a little attention to the World Cup - surely technology to see if the ball has entered the goal wouldn't be any more expensive than the cameras used to see if a ball is 'in' in tennis?

GB

Established Member
The referee is wired up so he can talk with the assistants and the 4th official in the event that something happens which the referee misses, Like when Kaka was (wrongly) sent off.

The 4th official is there to keep the 2 managers, assistant and all the subs behaving, and take over as the man in the middle in case the original referee can't continue for whatever reason.

Ah, I see, thanks

CarterUSM

Established Member

I agree, Lineker remarked upon it after the game and quoted some snippets from a FIFA meeting held earlier in the year. I think the ref is mic'ed up to the other officials, and to be fair, i don't think the linesman was in a great position to call it, however, the ref was only several yards behind gerrard who clearly seen it had passed the line. It's just one of those things i suppose . It is easy to criticise when we have the benefit of multi angle instant replays.:)

Aictos

Established Member
Exactly. I'm going to go & have a nice pint to celebrate the next two weeks of peace and quiet & the end of the inane football diatribe. :D

You know what I forgot to do? That's right, place a bet on us not winning the world cup and dropping out - I reckon I would have been in line for a nice little earner!

As to the team themselves, serious questions need to be asked of the team as the players seem to be more concerned with their club football then playing for England, reckon we shouldn't enter any more competitions until we actually have a decent team maybe we should invite the North Koreans to coach our team!!!

CarterUSM

Established Member
As to the team themselves, serious questions need to be asked of the team as the players seem to be more concerned with their club football then playing for England, reckon we shouldn't enter any more competitions until we actually have a decent team maybe we should invite the North Koreans to coach our team!!!
I would expect the North Koreans have been welcomed back as heroes and marched out of the plane with the world cup held aloft !
:D

herdster

So commenting on a thread you have no interest in, why don't you spend your precious time learning to spell. I think you meant to say lose , you looser

ukrob

Established Member
So commenting on a thread you have no interest in, why don't you spend your precious time learning to spell. I think you meant to say lose , you looser

I think once your punctuation is better you can criticise others.

37401 was the first to reply in the thread and it was a perfectly reasonable reply.

It is a general discussion forum on a rail website. If you don't want people who are not interested in football to express their opinion, then there are thousands of football forums.

herdster

So what was wrong with the punctuation? Was it the fact i left out a question mark ? Is that better ?

ukrob

Established Member
So what was wrong with the punctuation? Was it the fact i left out a question mark ? Is that better ?

And a full stop at the end. If you want to be fussy, the comma spacing is wrong too ;).

My point is you came into the thread criticising someone for giving their opinion, correcting their spelling and calling them a looser, but you haven't actually made a contribution yourself other than that. Are you going to? It is obviously something you feel strongly about because of your initial outburst.

GB

Established Member
This maybe a general discussion forum on a rail website, but this thread was created specifically for opinions on the England Vs Germany game and not on football in general.

If you have nothing to contribute in that respect then what is the point in posting as it will only serve to get peoples backs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.