• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

England's new three-tier lockdown system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeman78

Established Member
According to the stats on Bing's Covid tracker Sweden is also on a "second wave" with 2,000 new active cases on the last count (higher than their earlier peaks just about) and 9 deaths.
Looking at Worldometers, Covid deaths in Sweden for the past seven days are 5, 2, 1, 2, 4, 0 and 7.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWM

Established Member
What I was trying to work out was if places have just over 100 cases is that close to being in tier 2. I guess it's very hard to say.

Being a university town, I'm surprised Guildford hasn't ended up in tier 2 or higher. Same for Brighton. They are at just over 100 each.

Cambridge too. The local 'newspaper' has been pointing out for a couple of weeks now how being over 100 per 100,000 is the suggested criteria for moving to Tier 2 (and usually quoting Sadiq Khan for some utterly baffling reason). Fortunately - and this may be the only positive thing I've ever said about Cambridgeshire County Council - it appears they're not panicing about this and haven't been petitioning for a tier change.

It would seem entirely nonsensical if any new measures applied to Cambridge also applied to say East Cambs, where the current rates are one of the lowest in the country. But the range of restrictions applied does seem fairly random - see Nottingham - so who knows?

Bikeman78

Established Member
A truly massive second wave, then!
Yes they must be cowering behind their sofas! Meanwhile, how's it going in the harsh lockdown, masks everywhere countries? Genuinely baffled as to why the likes of Belgium are so badly affected. Yes they will have more international travel but the virus is almost everywhere now so that shouldn't make much difference.

philjo

Established Member
BBC reporting that Oxford will be going to Tier 2 on Saturday. The rest of Oxfordshire will remain in Tier 1.

Last edited:

DustyBin

Established Member
Looking at Worldometers, Covid deaths in Sweden for the past seven days are 5, 2, 1, 2, 4, 0 and 7.

I can't help but feel that Sweden are benefitting from having allowed the first wave to run it's course with only minimal restrictions. Which begs the question, are we seeing a second wave or the resumption of an interupted first wave?

STINT47

I can't help but feel that Sweden are benefitting from having allowed the first wave to run it's course with only minimal restrictions. Which begs the question, are we seeing a second wave or the resumption of an interupted first wave?

And a further question is. If we lockdown again are we setting ourselves up for a third wave?

DB

And a further question is. If we lockdown again are we setting ourselves up for a third wave?

That might depend on whether lockdowns actually have much effect - the first one appeared to slow it down, but that could be correlation not causation as it happened at the end of the annual season for respiratory infections.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Of course we are. The virus won’t be eliminated, so logically it will spread. Suppression, no matter how effective, only delays this (making the pandemic longer), so opening up when cases get low is actually just reopening the floodgates. Until we change strategy, we’re stuck in an endless cycle of lockdowns, “waves” and misery

Scotrail12

Having a read through Digital Spy, it's depressing. They are all insistent that these restrictions aren't enough and we need a full lockdown.

adc82140

Established Member
Having a read through Digital Spy, it's depressing. They are all insistent that these restrictions aren't enough and we need a full lockdown.
The general discussion section of DS is second only to Mumsnet.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Don't suppose they justify this with any science and how it will help in the long term?

DustyBin

Established Member

I suspect many users of that forum are quite happy sitting at home watching box sets! Slightly tongue in cheek, but on PistonHeads for example they're overwhelmingly anti-restriction (let alone lockdown). Being a forum for car enthusiasts that maybe isn't suprising; shows, motor racing and other events have really suffered this year and as cars are an expensive hobby I imagine many are worried about the economic situation.

Scotrail12

The general discussion section of DS is second only to Mumsnet.

Some of the people on there seem a bit sad anyway, I question if they have much of a life so I guess it doesn't come as a surprise that they are pro lockdown.

Lol at Mumsnet but you're so right. Another bad one is Tattle Life, whilst some of their threads are an interesting read and not much bickering goes on there, it seems to sway pro restrictions with over 60% of voters wanting a national lockdown (though interestingly, more voters would break rules for Christmas than those who wouldn't).

greyman42

Established Member
Some of the people on there seem a bit sad anyway, I question if they have much of a life so I guess it doesn't come as a surprise that they are pro lockdown.

Lol at Mumsnet but you're so right. Another bad one is Tattle Life, whilst some of their threads are an interesting read and not much bickering goes on there, it seems to sway pro restrictions with over 60% of voters wanting a national lockdown (though interestingly, more voters would break rules for Christmas than those who wouldn't).
Do these people who are pro lockdown have any idea what a second national lockdown would do to the economy and jobs as well as many peoples mental health?

duncanp

Established Member
Do these people who are pro lockdown have any idea what a second national lockdown would do to the economy and jobs as well as many peoples mental health?

Of course not, their jobs, houses and lifestyle are not at risk, and they seem to think that money grows on trees.

SJN

A few of them argue that if we carry on and the virus gets out of control then the economy with be just as messed up anyway.

Class 33

Established Member
Yes that mammoth Coronavirus forum on DS is very depressing. A number of people on there saying we should go into full national lockdown for 6 months or until a vaccine is found! One person on there I noticed says they don't expect life to return to some sort of normal until 2025!!! I guess for those particular people, all this is not effecting their livelihood and mental health!

One bit of positive news that the mainstream media probably haven't mentioned is that we may possibly have reached the peak of Coronavirus cases on 21st October, when cases reached 26,688. They haven't reached above that figure since. Numbers have dipped down a little to between 19,790 and 24,701. So perhaps we have reached the peak in terms of cases anyway. Fingers crossed this is the case, as we've been fooled a few times before during the past month or so.

Bikeman78

Established Member
A few of them argue that if we carry on and the virus gets out of control then the economy with be just as messed up anyway.
Would that actually happen though? The table posted on the "Do we trust the experts in regard to COVID-19" thread shows there were more deaths in January 1997 than any month this year. I was alive at the time and oblivious to that fact until a few days ago.

duncanp

Established Member
One bit of positive news that the mainstream media probably haven't mentioned is that we may possibly have reached the peak of Coronavirus cases on 21st October, when cases reached 26,688. They haven't reached above that figure since. Numbers have dipped down a little to between 19,790 and 24,701. So perhaps we have reached the peak in terms of cases anyway. Fingers crossed this is the case, as we've been fooled a few times before during the past month or so.

Sky news are reporting that after more areas are moved into Tiers 2 and 3 this weekend, no more areas will be moved into Tier 3 until the next review in a fortnight's time.

Whilst you have to take everything you read with a pinch of salt these days, maybe the government is growing some backbone after all and is not giving in to the relentless pressure from SAGE and other lockdown enthusiasts for more strict measures.

Waiting a couple of weeks will enable the (UK) government to assess the effectiveness of the Welsh firebreak lockdown. If it doesn't prove effective in slowing the number of cases (remember they said that a two week lockdown would set back the course of the virus by a month) then there will be little justification for imposing such a lockdown on England.

johntea

Established Member
Sigh, West Yorkshire in Tier 3 from Monday...

Makes me ‘safer’ being at work in Harrogate than working from home! ;)

SJN

I don’t know. I don’t want a lockdown and I think we need to find a different way of dealing with it. The argument on there seems to be that business wouldn’t survive if everyone off sick and people wouldn’t get treated as hospitals full.

DB

I don’t know. I don’t want a lockdown and I think we need to find a different way of dealing with it. The argument on there seems to be that business wouldn’t survive if everyone off sick and people wouldn’t get treated as hospitals full.

But that's simply not what happens. Has it happened in Sweden? No.

There is a misconception among locdown enthusiasts that without restrictions everyone will get it and be very ill with it, which is simply wrong.

SJN

Yeah I agree but there’s one person on there who posts all stats and their interpretation of them. Everyone else thinks they are an expert and anyone who disagrees is shot down sharpish.

duncanp

Established Member
There is a misconception among locdown enthusiasts that without restrictions everyone will get it and be very ill with it, which is simply wrong.

Indeed. If there are 100,000 infections per day as the scientists claim, then as positive tests are running at about 25,000 per day at the moment then that must mean about three quarters of the people who are infected either don't experience any symptoms, or their symptoms are so mild that it is confused with flu and/or the common cold, and it is not worth seeking medical help for.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Of course not, their jobs, houses and lifestyle are not at risk, and they seem to think that money grows on trees.
Quite a lot of jobs are probably still fairly secure. We will always need bins emptied, gas, electricity, water, to name some examples. I wouldn't expect most people in those professions to be pro lockdown because they have to go out anyway. I'm trying to think of work at home jobs that are secure; I guess insurance and banking are examples. I doubt that many people in the transport, hotel or holiday industries are pro lockdown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.