• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

England's new three-tier lockdown system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
It's ridiculous! Sky News seem to actually want a second national lockdown! I wonder who they'll publish next week as "refuses to rule out a second national lockdown"??!!

It's been [insert name of cabinet minister] refuses to rule out lockdown for a while. Just which politician do they expect to rule it out? Ruling anything out at any time is a potential P45 moment for any cabinet minister, and that's just what Sky are trying to do- bait the members of the government in to doing that so they can come back later and challenge them. The current members of the cabinet are stupid, but not that stupid.

Of course Sky want a lockdown, so people can sit at home watching the telly all day and therefore boost Sky's subscriber numbers.

Jamiescott1

My local council (bucks) has sent a letter to all households in the district to remind them about "face, space, hands" they have also plastered town centres with signs that say masks must be worn and not to mix indoors with other households. We're in tier 1

Smidster

As someone in an area that is about to enter "Tier 3" one of the things that I find really troubling is that there is no clear mechanism for getting out of it - Some very clear numbers, which I am guessing would include a case threshold and a hospital capacity threshold, that you could monitor to see how things were doing and how close you were to the carrot of having a little bit of freedom back.

If we take Liverpool for example it really does look like the numbers are starting to fall which is good but there are obviously no signs of any changes coming.

Also think it would really help with compliance - Give people the light at the end of the tunnel and they will run toward it. Having endless darkness and people either lose hope or just don't think it is worth it anymore as they don't think their actions have any impact.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
The problem for government with having a ‘n case numbers per 100,000’ criteria for exiting a tier is that the public have a reason to get militant if the numbers fall below n and the restrictions are NOT relaxed.
No criteria = no rebellion?

kristiang85

Established Member
My local council (bucks) has sent a letter to all households in the district to remind them about "face, space, hands" they have also plastered town centres with signs that say masks must be worn and not to mix indoors with other households. We're in tier 1

Given how cash-strapped most councils seem to be, that sounds like an utter waste of money to say something that is already all over the TV/in papers every. Single. Day.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Given how cash-strapped most councils seem to be, that sounds like an utter waste of money to say something that is already all over the TV/in papers every. Single. Day.
Many of the things that local authorities are doing, despite at the same time claiming to be cash strapped make no sense at all. Makes me think that the reality is somewhat further from their statements, especially when you consider how many local authorities have been giving away food vouchers for the past week despite no additional government funding allegedly being provided.

northernchris

Established Member
As someone in an area that is about to enter "Tier 3" one of the things that I find really troubling is that there is no clear mechanism for getting out of it - Some very clear numbers, which I am guessing would include a case threshold and a hospital capacity threshold, that you could monitor to see how things were doing and how close you were to the carrot of having a little bit of freedom back.

If we take Liverpool for example it really does look like the numbers are starting to fall which is good but there are obviously no signs of any changes coming.

Also think it would really help with compliance - Give people the light at the end of the tunnel and they will run toward it. Having endless darkness and people either lose hope or just don't think it is worth it anymore as they don't think their actions have any impact.

There does need to be some measurement, as I fear that once in Tier 3 it won't be possible to get out until the spring, by which time the retail and hospitability sectors will be decimated, mental health will have deteriorated and homelessness will be on the rise. Hospital admissions and or bed capacity would be a good call.

Crossover

Established Member
There does need to be some measurement, as I fear that once in Tier 3 it won't be possible to get out until the spring, by which time the retail and hospitability sectors will be decimated, mental health will have deteriorated and homelessness will be on the rise. Hospital admissions and or bed capacity would be a good call.
Agreed - some light at the end of the tunnel would give hope, I think

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm really anxious at the thought London will be going into Tier 3 next week, which is apparently what many inside sources are speculating.

Another insult and a slap in the face to my local area, which has lower numbers per 100,000 than many other local authorities in Tier 1, some of which have higher population densities.

bramling

Veteran Member
I'm really anxious at the thought London will be going into Tier 3 next week, which is apparently what many inside sources are speculating.

Another insult and a slap in the face to my local area, which has lower numbers per 100,000 than many other local authorities in Tier 1, some of which have higher population densities.

Let’s face it the whole country is gradually slipping towards tier 3, so London isn’t on its own in that respect, though being cynical London’s political leaning plus the mayoral situation means it won’t get looked upon with an eye of sympathy.

I suspect the only reason BJ continues to resist calls for lockdown is because they know it can be achieved on the stealth by means of the tiers. Just wait til most of the country is in tier 3, then say that tier 3 needs beefing up a bit, and hey presto we’re back to March just with schools still going.

Crossover

Established Member
I suspect the only reason BJ continues to resist calls for lockdown is because they know it can be achieved on the stealth by means of the tiers. Just wait til most of the country is in tier 3, then say that tier 3 needs beefing up a bit, and hey presto we’re back to March just with schools still going.
I heard it referred to earlier, elsewhere, as "lockdown by proxy" - sounds about right!

Trackman

Established Member
My feelings too. OK where I am now is tier 3, they are spraying pavements and putting up signs and sending junk through the post which we already know about. Now they are saying they have to save £40m (at least).

Let’s face it the whole country is gradually slipping towards tier 3...
I reckon this was the plan all along, then 'hello' tier 4 ... and so on.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Sam Coates from Sky is reporting that there are "signs" that England could be moving towards tougher restrictions across the board. Twitter feed starts here: https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1322268151384576001 (I have quoted the entire thing below).

Some signs tonight that England may be heading for a much tougher lockdown across the board. No10 not confirming / commenting but sources say that under consideration is a tougher set of measures which could last weeks. This would represent a u-turn from yesterday. The PM and No10 have been insistent that there would only be three tiers up to yesterday. This seems to have changed in government today with sources now saying something much tougher under consideration. Call it Tier 4, call it a national lockdown. No word from the centre tho. This comes after France and Germany made their announcements on lockdown this week. Wales is entering week 2 of a circuit break. So Boris Johnson’s position was looking isolated. But huge pressure not to do this from Tory MPs who wd have to presumably vote on it. Understand there was a meeting between Boris Johnson, Rishi Sunak, Michael Gove and Matt Hancock today.

bramling

Veteran Member
Sam Coates from Sky is reporting that there are "signs" that England could be moving towards tougher restrictions across the board. Twitter feed starts here: https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1322268151384576001 (I have quoted the entire thing below).

It’s actually quite a horrifying thought that we’re in the hands of the four people mentioned.

Unfortunately I think something more here was inevitable the moment France announced their lockdown.

Well all I can say is he’d better not do any more on masks, that’s the tipping point for me personally. I’m already at the point where I’m starting to actively not comply with restrictions which I feel are ineffective or counter-productive, this week for the first time I’ve been not wearing masks in shops, which until now I’ve grudgingly done simply to keep the peace for staff.

Darandio

Established Member
My feelings too. OK where I am now is tier 3, they are spraying pavements and putting up signs and sending junk through the post which we already know about. Now they are saying they have to save £40m (at least).

I still don't believe any council are beating the one here for throwing money at pointless ventures then pleading poverty.

It's about 12 weeks ago now that they built 700m of high (and not cheap!) fencing to make a public playing field 'Covid Secure' for local pub teams to play their matches. That's right, fenced off an open playing field because I can only assume there is a huge risk of passing the disease on through the grass.

Class 33

Established Member

Oh god. Awaiting the BAD news next week then. Either there'll be another press conference with Boris announcing it, along with Mr Doom and Gloom's Vallance and Whitty yet again, or there will be yet another "address to the nation" from Boris.

They'll put a large bulk of the country in Tier 3, which will be upgraded to a newly invented Tier 4 with even stricter measures/laws, which will last for weeks on end. Oh and they could also go and introduce a Tier 5 with yet more stricter measures/laws!

I really can't take much more of this now. We'll have to put up with all this until at least the end of March. My mental health will really struggle with this for at least the next 5 months! Many many people's mental health will struggle with this. All this is continuing to cause a mental health crisis of biblical proportions, though the press and media seem to be barely mentioning this. And the government don't seem to care either. Absolutely bloody dreadful all this is.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'd be interested in seeing how Wales locking down has impacted on them compared to England. Obviously it's too early to know the fuller picture.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I'd be interested in seeing how Wales locking down has impacted on them compared to England. Obviously it's too early to know the fuller picture.
The measures which Scotland have taken the past 6 weeks seem to be having an effect now.

Or, more likely, it's because the schools have been off over the past 3 weeks (different LAs at different times, though).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
So let's not send the schools in England back until January and keep them open for the children of key workers only as per the Spring.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Discussion of a second possible lockdown is now here folks.

bramling

Veteran Member
So let's not send the schools in England back until January and keep them open for the children of key workers only as per the Spring.

I really don’t think that’s a good idea. We really don’t want a generation of children with stifled development, and that’s a real risk if this carries on.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I really don’t think that’s a good idea. We really don’t want a generation of children with stifled development, and that’s a real risk if this carries on.

But has it not been proven that education is a transmitter for COVID? It doesn't give me any satisfaction announcing that, but I think all sources lead to education as being a primary factor (pardon the pun)

Domh245

Established Member
But has it not been proven that education is a transmitter for COVID? It doesn't give me any satisfaction announcing that, but I think all sources lead to education as being a primary factor (pardon the pun)

Education is a big spread, but that's where you've got to make the judgement call - severely disrupt the education of children or extend the life of some coffin dodgers

northernchris

Established Member
Education is a big spread, but that's where you've got to make the judgement call - severely disrupt the education of children or extend the life of some coffin dodgers

Something which so far the Government has got right! The infection rates don't really count for much, as if healthy people get infected they are unlikely to require hospital treatment, so it makes sense to allow the virus to spread in education settings so long as steps are taken to prevent the vulnerable. The problem is more when children are themselves vulnerable or live with someone who is, and I don't think there's an easy answer to that

Status
Not open for further replies.