• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Entertainment class" on FGW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daimler

Established Member
Will TV monitors be installed in all carriages on our trains?

There is also a consideration to have silent carriages for those customers who do not wish to take advantage of this service. These silent carriages will be identified using window vinyl’s (or similar).

Watch the regular commuters get wise to which carriages don't have TVs and flock to them every day, meaning the unfortunate passengers at stations nearer to London will be forced to suffer the noise whether they like it or not - if they want to get a seat, at any rate.

Not impressed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Josuelillo

The TVs in ICE first class don't work anymore, not sure about the sound only channels

According to the DB website some first class coaches feature individual video screen at the screens. Although they don't say if they're working...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
People may remember that "Volo TV" carriage that was running round the FGW network back in 2005 (pics I took on 30 Aug 2005 attached), well FGW are now to introduce TV in one coach on all their HSTs, the first due on 21 Nov with the fleet completed by 2010.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=4483

If you use the Night Riviera you may already be aware it's already available in single berths.

If their intention is to install the screens in all 54 trains, it's supposed they have studied well the case and they think that's a profitable business. Who will transform the cars, FGW or will Volo.tv takes charge of the costs of it? And how do they decide the contents offered?

I think I'll try to contact Volo.tv to get some information. I've registered myself on the website of Volo.tv but no information is provided about contents, they just want to know if I'm going to park my car in some carpark managed by ringone...

In fact, there was possible to see some information in the volo.tv website some days ago, but not anymore, they just ask to register or to log in, and I don't even see how to acceed to the purchase of a session of volo.tv, maybe I'm too clumsy.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I can't believe anyone was asked, or at least I missed it when FCC was asking people if they wanted TV. Of course, they said in an online forum that passengers had asked for it.

Which passengers?

To be honest, I am not against the idea but I am pretty sure it will die a death pretty quickly anyway. Who will pay loads of money to advertise on them? Give it six months and it will be fillers for FCC weekend tickets, 2 for 1 and other rubbish.

Drsatan

Established Member
I can't believe anyone was asked, or at least I missed it when FCC was asking people if they wanted TV. Of course, they said in an online forum that passengers had asked for it.

Which passengers?

To be honest, I am not against the idea but I am pretty sure it will die a death pretty quickly anyway. Who will pay loads of money to advertise on them? Give it six months and it will be fillers for FCC weekend tickets, 2 for 1 and other rubbish.

Depends on how much usage it gets

jon0844

Veteran Member
A captive audience should in theory be great for advertisers, but how many ads do you now see in the post office?

From my point of view, I'd advertise maybe to try something 'new' out but how would I measure the return? Give a unique phone number, ask for customers to quote a code, a unique URL that someone has to remember (yes, some will go to the website there and then on their mobile but still). And what things do you advertise? Just the same ads as shown on normal TV?

So, you may get people advertising just to promote a brand rather than a particular service or offering, but how often do you change them when after a while the majority of people on your train are the same people who have seen your ad or just 'switched off'. Will ITV and the like promote TV shows for that evening? How quickly can the system be updated?

You see relatively few poster ads on a train (a stark contrast to the tube which has many different types of people, tourists and so on each day) as I presume the return on investment is poor (like placing banners on a site with millions of page impressions but hardly any clicks). The only difference being that in the online space, you can pay bugger all for the ad and pay only for responses - not something you can do on a train! No wonder advertisers are, right or wrong, dedicating so much more money for online campaigns than print or television (and therefore, train!).

I doubt advertisers will back it, so the company providing the service won't make any money. I may even call up to enquire about advertising rates and get an idea when it launches and further down the line to confirm my suspicions - although obviously nobody pays rate card figures.

The Heathrow Express doesn't really have ads either, but I presume the service is paid for out of ticket revenue and doesn't rely on advertising to fund it. The FCC system is presumably at no cost to First, so FCC could just end up with screens switched off after a while.

Bill EWS

Sky and Cable TV are now awsh with adverts, in some cases it's a case of fitting the programmes inbetween them. They are all virtually timed to show adverts at the same time so that you can't channel jump. Our Internet is awash with them and now our train journies are going to be awash with them. I'm wondering when will enough be enough!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Advertisers are probably thinking the same, but rates are rock bottom and if you see the length of those price comparison website ads and the like on daytime television, you can imagine that you're talking just a few hundred quid to have a TV ad. Clearly advertising during a sporting event, X-Factor or Corrie is somewhat different, with much shorter ads (and lots more of them).

I really can't see high rates for train advertising. In fact, TV advertising on the tube makes much more sense - and is happening with projectors and large flat panel poster boards on the tube. As the cost comes down, having TV screens won't be an issue on a new build train anyway so they won't NEED to generate money. They'll replace the standard CIS screens and any advertising/programming will be optional/a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.