• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enthusiasts wanting to be train drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungreat

Probably got the most out of my railway career..secondman at 16,driver registered at age 20(it used to be so,as long as you were 21 when passed) I've now done 23 years in the footplate grade,and some days I hate it with a passion,but most days,a laugh with the boys,good runs,night man takes your train away so you get home earlier...a decent job,and well paid too..ain't many like it.

Many people get the job in their 40s and 50s nowadays..dont give up

I think I was one of the last of the old school trainees,and was certainly BRs youngest driver at one point!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
i would love a job driving the class 66 Freightliner :).

To be honest I don't think you would have much choice but to drive 66s if you worked for Shedliner, unless 70s take over the world.

On the subject of TOCs/FOCs what company would people like to work for and why or are they not fussed aslong as its a job.

For me it used to be EWS mainly for the traction 60s 90s 37s 66s 67s and all the charter stuff, now with only 2 37s that looks bleak to be driving one of them, same with 60s the only thing that would draw me to EWS is the charter work they get, I would love to drive different classes of loco not just a shed.

Now id say DRS purley on traction reasons (see where im goin with this) but in reality im not fussed aslong as im working on the railway

Corrado

I'm a trainee Driver and I'm well into my thirties. If you want it badly enough you've a great chance of making it. Get any job in the railway you can, even if it means a drop in pay, get a good reputation, network (kiss anus), be prepared to relocate, study for all the assessments and interviews like a mad man, be positive. They need you. :lol:

Domeyhead

When I used to fall out of a crammed and steaming 4EPB at Waterloo on a cold dark rainy winter's morning on my way to an office job that I hated I would glance at the driver grabbing a quick read of his paper before heading off back to Alton and I would have given anything to swap jobs with him at the point!
Now 30 years later I look at the drivers in their clean reliable tubostars and Desiros and they look as bored and miserable as I looked back then.
It's a funny old world.

TDK

Established Member
To be honest I don't think you would have much choice but to drive 66s if you worked for Shedliner, unless 70s take over the world.

On the subject of TOCs/FOCs what company would people like to work for and why or are they not fussed aslong as its a job.

For me it used to be EWS mainly for the traction 60s 90s 37s 66s 67s and all the charter stuff, now with only 2 37s that looks bleak to be driving one of them, same with 60s the only thing that would draw me to EWS is the charter work they get, I would love to drive different classes of loco not just a shed.

Now id say DRS purley on traction reasons (see where im goin with this) but in reality im not fussed aslong as im working on the railway

If you want to drive traction like that joina heritage railway as the probability of any apart from 66's is bleak for a new starter. You will find the charter work is toplink stuff as well so not much chance there either. I am happy with the company I work for and wouldn't change unlesss I had to

Established Member
If you want to drive traction like that joina heritage railway as the probability of any apart from 66's is bleak for a new starter. You will find the charter work is toplink stuff as well so not much chance there either. I am happy with the company I work for and wouldn't change unlesss I had to

Yeah, chances are ill do preserved stuff on my days off and anything else for work

GearJammer

they're uncomfortable, noisy, draughty and more besides.

Lol, ive had the pleasure of a few cab rides on Frieghtliners 66's and everytime i asked the drivers what they thought of them i got a reply that could'nt be repeated on here :)

As for working on the railway, i wanted to do it but could'nt so went down the (vaguely similar) truck driving route, im glad i did, i have a few friends and family that work or worked on the railway and they say its not the same job any more, always somebody trying to pick you up on doing something wrong etc, and besides, you can have to much of a good thing, railways are my hobby and im glad i keeped it that way..............

Thats not to say that i would'nt like to have a go at driving a train on the mainline ;)

NXEA!

ever since I was a little three year old i've never wanted to have a different job. and im seriously going to pursue it aswell :) besides its what makes you happy right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.