• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enthusiasts wanting to be train drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK

Established Member
Hi people,

I was wondering, if you had the chance to become a mainline train driver would you go for the job, I mean if it was a real possibility, I personally think most enthusiasts would like to be drivers,

Before you all say yes, please put a reason why you would like the job!

I am a driver but always wanted to be an airline pilot

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Yes, Ignoring the pay, because the job intrests me and I feel it would be a challenge (at first anyway) I don't want a office job I want to be on the move and what better way to do that the be the one that gets everyone else on the move, ive always wanted to do it since I was a little peep not only that but I like trains :lol:

What made you want to become a driver?

Established Member
No, I wouldn't.
It would be nice, but I'm a bit slow at times, and have fairly major memory problems :|

There are a few other things, but I'd rather not go into them.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Nope. Wanted to when I was a kid, but other than damn good pay, I see little to attract me to train driving. My leisure pursuits would be incompatible with the shift lifestyle, most driving looks quite tedious really, with little room (rightly) for creativity and innovation, with overbearing management.

I like my 9-5, with freedom to plan my own work, with a requirement for me to innovate, and with weekends that are free for me to go sail. It is far from perfect, but I like it most of the time. I think I'd feel trapped in the cab of a train.

TDK

Established Member
What made you want to become a driver?

Money mainly, I like mechanical things and as I couldn't be a pilot I decided to do the next fastest thing (exept car racing etc)

First class

Established Member
I am an enthusiast employed with a TOC and originally set myself the final goal of being a driver.

However, I've changed my mind and decided that I would like to be involved beyond driving into the managerial side(s) of the Operations Inspectorate and subsequently I am making various applications to different roles that I feel would allow me to reach my goal.

'Train driver' is quite a broad description for a number of roles- a Depot Manager is likely to be a qualified train driver, as is a Driver Standards Inspector. Certain shunter/technician grades may also require you to move trains. For me, 'train driver' is entry level to the management positions I would hopefully cover over the coming years.

Why? Well for starters, I would get satisfaction knowing that a company I've worked hard for over many years is trusting me and sees me as competent and the 'right person' to safely move vehicles worth millions of pounds by myself.

I don't think I would ever tire of driving through some of the most beautiful scenery in our country, ok, maybe not working for Merseyrail, but with Scotrail, driving up to Wick from Inverness would be fantastic.

Honestly, £40k a year is also quite an attractive aside.

asylumxl

Established Member
No.

I'd either break the speed limits, run straight through stations or miss the platforms.

Or all three.Although, i imagine with time i'd learn the correct places to brake etc.

CarterUSM

Established Member
I wouldn't class myself as an enthusiast, though I do have an interest in the operation of the railways and a long family connection with it, not to mention an 'acquired' interest from being an employee. I was never tempted by the driving side, but with the constant threat and downgrading of my current role it is becoming a more interesting option. I rather enjoy my current position though, and I am sure i'd enjoy a driving role also, I think the railway is a great career path for anybody to take, it has never been so popular either with wages of all grades and positions very competitive and far higher than they used to be in real terms. As First class rightly mentions, being a driver at one of the more rural scottish locations, not to mention some of the central belt depots, would provide quite a
scenic shift. As far as I see it though, you get out what you put in.

Ivo

Established Member
I would have to contend the shift issues, but otherwise I would jump at the chance. What I would really like to do, though, is manage a railway.

TGV

Nope. I'm on better money than most train drivers and I work 37 hours per week during normal hours! I've also been in plenty of cabs - enough to know that while no 2 journeys are ever the same, it's not an occupation that would keep me challenged. No disrespect intended to any drivers of course, you do a fine job, it's just not for me. I'd rather be on the engineering side of them than the driving side.

Dai.

Established Member
Nah.

I'd love to be out and about as much as a driver but I want to be a Manager, Design Consultation and Management,

Bittern

Established Member
Right now, I'd take whatever job I could get! But I'd much rather be on a heritage railway driving steam locos than on the main lines!

the sniper

Established Member
My answer is 100% yes!

I've wanted to be a train driver since I was around the age of 3, my ambition to achieve that dream has never wavered over the 17 years between then and now, even though my level of interest in the railways as a hobby has varied considerably over that period of time. There are many aspects that I envisage I'd enjoy about the job; the responsibility, the shift pattern (yes, honestly! :lol:), the constantly changing wallpaper of your office, the pay (though I'd still want to be a driver even if they were on £21k), the relatively excellent job security, and just being able to proudly say that I'm a train driver!

It's not just that I'd like to be a train driver either, I think I'm a good fit for the role. I enjoy working alone but I'm a good communicator too, I have a high tolerance against boredom and I'm a very cautious person with (I believe) the ability to maintain concentration over long periods of time.

So TDK, if you could hook me up with some of your old recruitment friends, I'd be very grateful. ;) :D

Geezertronic

Established Member
I would love to at least have the oppertunity to take the tests and ultimately train to become a driver but it appears that someone like me in my mid 30s does not really stand a chance of changing profession over from IT to the railways to become a driver especially since there is so much competition for so little jobs :(

anonymous0101

Hi people,

I was wondering, if you had the chance to become a mainline train driver would you go for the job, I mean if it was a real possibility, I personally think most enthusiasts would like to be drivers,

Before you all say yes, please put a reason why you would like the job!

I am a driver but always wanted to be an airline pilot

I think i'd like to get a pilots licence but I wouldn't like the job as airline pilot. The reasons i can think of is that it involves time away from home, hassle of getting to the airport and on the job itself you *have* to work with someone else who you may not get on with and you have to stay in the cockpit with the door closed. At least in a train you can stop and get out and walk around a bit at stations or open the window. And you also get to see different things. I think in an airliner apart from the ground below which is quite static from that height - there isn't much to see.

The only other job which some might find appealing is tour coach driver. Any thoughts on that one?

Established Member
I would love to at least have the oppertunity to take the tests and ultimately train to become a driver but it appears that someone like me in my mid 30s does not really stand a chance of changing profession over from IT to the railways to become a driver especially since there is so much competition for so little jobs :(

Never say never ;)

j0hn0

I would love to as I have lots of skills which would lend itself to train driving.

On the downside, I don't do shifts and would have to give up the drugs <D

Rugd1022

im hopefully going into the RAF as a pilot if not i would love a job driving the class 66 Freightliner :).

You might end up changing your mind if you actually had to endure them day in day out... they're uncomfortable, noisy, draughty and more besides. Their one redeeming feature is reliability.

;)

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating

Why?

I really dont understand such a negative comment if you have never tried!
I recently became a train driver at the age of 43.

TDK

Established Member
I know someone who recently passed out as a train driver aged in their early fifties. It can certainly be done.

Yes, as long as the TOC gets 5 years out of you they are happy, I employed a driver at 58, he was an aiport ramp worker before, I have also employed drivers from an IT background, all you need are the fundamental qualities, need to be flexible, level headed and can work on your own.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Why?

I really dont understand such a negative comment if you have never tried!
I recently became a train driver at the age of 43.

I became a driver at 38, was a builder before running my own business!

Established Member
Id like to do TM before going to to the driver level, that way if I never make it to that next step I don't leave empty handed as I still work on the trains

royaloak

Established Member
Thanks, and somebody in their mid 30s with a decent amount of "life" experiences would be an ideal candidate.
While I agree it isn't the easiest profession to get into (putting it mildly), the recruitment process is calculated in ice ages not weeks ;)

I find it very rewarding and am thankful every day for being allowed the chance to drive trains for a living, even if it is only electric multiple units.

That really does sound sickly doesn't it :oops:

Go for it and keep going until you exhaust all avenues (or get the job)

royaloak

Established Member
Doesn't sound sickly at all, if you like your job, you've won the battle over discontent. :)

I LOVE my job, it is by far the most enjoyable (and best paid ;)) job I have ever had (or likely to get).
And the fact our October 09 pay-rise has been sorted means I get to spend the back pay next month (if the other half doesnt beat me too it :lol:)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
i would love a job driving the class 66 Freightliner :).

So you can go home with your ears Yinging! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.