• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Equality Act and Rail Staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard1960

Seems there must have been 2 trains in that terminated a couple of stations short around 11pm on Thursday then...
This http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G01058/2017/05/25/advanced was my guess of train but as Ely has vending machines shown on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations-and-destinations/stations-made-easy/ely-station-plan it can't be the train in question.

Yes it was Ely my train pulled in from Norwich and we sat there for 10 mins before the conductor nice lady said they would put me on the next train cross country to Cambridge and to see the guy on platform two who would organise cab from Cambridge, which I did quite happily . He was also a nice guy it was the young guy on platform one that had me mad no customer service skills at all.

Whilst waiting for the train was told they changed their mind and would organise a cab from Ely if I went to platform 1,the guy on platform 1 was sitting in an office with an older guy , who said a cab which he had booked would be 20-25 mins after booking it.Low and behold 80 mins later no more info and I was still there .

It went downhill after that if only they had allowed me to carry on to Cambridge I could have gone to marks and spencer there for a packet of buiscuits. I looked in the machine at Ely (platform 1) and it already had a stuck bottle of water in it

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
It went downhill after that if only they had allowed me to carry on to Cambridge I could have gone to marks and spencer there for a packet of buiscuits.

Surely M&S wouldn't have been open? In the context, it's a fairly irrelevant point anyway.

Ely should have vending machines, but you are then relying on change and whether they are stocked, which by experience isn't always the case!

Qwerty133

Established Member
Yes it was Ely my train pulled in from Norwich and we sat there for 10 mins before the conductor nice lady said they would put me on the next train cross country to Cambridge and to see the guy on platform two who would organise cab from Cambridge, which I did quite happily . He was also a nice guy it was the young guy on platform one that had me mad no customer service skills at all.

Whilst waiting for the train was told they changed their mind and would organise a cab from Ely if I went to platform 1,the guy on platform 1 was sitting in an office with an older guy , who said a cab which he had booked would be 20-25 mins after booking it.Low and behold 80 mins later no more info and I was still there .

It went downhill after that if only they had allowed me to carry on to Cambridge I could have gone to marks and spencer there for a packet of buiscuits.

Looks like there should have been vending machines available on both P1 and between P2/3 to get a sugar fix from then.

Richard1960

Looks like there should have been vending machines available on both P1 and between P2/3 to get a sugar fix from then.

P1 looked out of order and not enough change anyway.

Hopefully though both for me and hopefully those concerned they would do differently in the future.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Overall, the thread is quite hard to read and pieces of informaton have been added in the course of nearly 100 posts. However, it seems to me they offered you a taxi late at night and had no initial idea of any issues you may have had. Only after the long wait for the taxi did these issues arise, at which point the hotel scenario appeared. It's worth bearing in mind that this was post 11pm, a very busy time for taxi's.

It certainly doesn't seem to me like it is the time for Passenger Focus, and certainly not for the courts.

Richard1960

Overall, the thread is quite hard to read and pieces of informaton have been added in the course of nearly 100 posts. However, it seems to me they offered you a taxi late at night and had no initial idea of any issues you may have had. Only after the long wait for the taxi did these issues arise, at which point the hotel scenario appeared. It's worth bearing in mind that this was post 11pm, a very busy time for taxi's.

It certainly doesn't seem to me like it is the time for Passenger Focus, and certainly not for the courts.

Well I felt my diginity was in question making me have to stand in front of other passengers having a melt down due to illness with no help offered .

Which is covered by the equality act.

This was post 11pm but even the cab driver could not understand why on earth they had not followed through with getting me a cab at Cambridge as he said there are loads of 24 hour cabs there.

Unlike Ely where most are not 24 hour which is why they had trouble sourcing one..

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Well I felt my diginity was in question making me have to stand in front of other passengers having a melt down due to illness with no help offered .

In which case I refer you to post 61.

I was thinking the same myself.

As a member of station staff myself, where i work there is nowhere for anyone to go in a private area. The supervisors office is strictly out of bounds for security and data protection purposes, the messroom is exactly that and not very private either. The only real private place is the disabled toilet so not very comfortable. So i should ask the op what would he want me to do?

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3004338&postcount=61

the sniper

Established Member
This was post 11pm but even the cab driver could not understand why on earth they had not followed through with getting me a cab at Cambridge as he said there are loads of 24 hour cabs there.

Unlike Ely where most are not 24 hour which is why they had trouble sourcing one..

So you appreciated what the delay was then?

Darandio

Established Member
when it comes to disability I quote from the bottom of the page you linked to.

Certainly is the case with disability.!

Which answers nothing.

You are saying your dignity is in question because they didn't provide somehere for you.

The post I linked to asks you, where are they expected to make available to you?

Remember that this is now around midnight as well.

Richard1960

Which answers nothing.

You are saying your dignity is in question because they didn't provide somehere for you.

The post I linked to asks you, where are they expected to make available to you?

Remember that this is now around midnight as well.

At Ely there is space everywhere that is a hard one to argue.

But really my main point is better training and some people who work on the railway have made come helpful comments on here.

And I have thanked them for that fighting disability is a hard battle.

All Line Rover

Established Member
They only offered advice on procedure that's all.

OK. But I can't quite understand how Transport Focus could offer its opinion (as you appear to suggest in post #72) on the likely outcome of your complaint, which would require an understanding of its facts and merits, within 24 hours (the incident you complain of happened on Thursday and Transport Focus would close on Friday evening).

All Line Rover

Established Member
Yes thanks for the micky take. [In reply to "the sniper" - post #103.]

It could be that Transport Focus prioritises complaints regarding failures to comply with the Equality Act, but its speed of reply in your case still seems remarkably fast for what is known to be a remarkably slow (and generally dim-witted) organisation.

Last edited:

Richard1960

OK. But I can't quite understand how Transport Focus could offer its opinion (as you appear to suggest in post #72) on the likely outcome of your complaint, which would require an understanding of its facts and merits, within 24 hours (the incident you complain of happened on Thursday and Transport Focus would close on Friday evening).

I never said they offered an opinion sorry I gave that impression they only gave the opinion it would be resolved before it reached them officially.

Which hopefully it will.

Luckily what happened with me is rare so most rail staff are aware,as in any walk of life some are not.

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
Let us see how quickly the rail operator in question replies to your complaint. They should not be taking months to reply to complaints of this nature.

Richard1960

Let us see how quickly the rail operator in question complies to your complaint. They should not be taking months to reply to a complaint of this nature.

Quite quick hopefully so we can all move on and if necessary give staff extra training.

I find it heartening most rail staff on here are aware so its not all bad news.

What made it better was I used the trains Saturday and the staff were great.

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
I make this comment as a good proportion (likely a majority) of train operating companies tend to take many weeks, even months, to reply to complaints (other than complaints 'submitted' through e.g. Twitter), regardless of the nature and urgency of a complaint.

steamybrian

Established Member
I have been reading this matter but.... I read that £154 was quoted for a taxi from Ely to Cambridge ? In my opinion it seems far too excessive for a distance of around 16 miles equals nearly £10 per mile..!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have been reading this matter but.... I read that £154 was quoted for a taxi from Ely to Cambridge ? In my opinion it seems far too excessive for a distance of around 16 miles equals nearly £10 per mile..!
It's all very cryptic, but OP's location is stated as Harlow, so that could make sense.

1K95 2115 Norwich - Cambridge was terminated at Ely at 2217 (was due Cambridge 2234)

The obvious thing to do at that point was take the 2254 Ely - Cambridge (due 2310), then either a taxi from Cambridge or train to somewhere like Hatfield for a taxi from there.

If Richard1960 was advised not to take the 2254 and to await a taxi from Ely, this defies common sense

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Are we not in danger of over-analysing this?

As I now understand it the OP arrived at Ely, where his train was terminated and reported his need for assistance to rail staff. Recognising the situation and trying to save the OP any more un-necessary difficulty the staff order a taxi to take them directly to their final destination (despite this prospectively costing their company £154). This being preferable to faffing around with another journey leg to Cambridge and the OP having to re-present himself there.
Sadly the taxi was delayed in turning up and for whatever reason the helpful staff failed to keep an eye on the situation. Perhaps there was a shift change or there were other issues to deal with in terms of the disruption to services.

All very regrettable but hardly evidence of a major breach of equality legislation.

Having been in charge of stations and dealing with stranded passengers late at night I can only confess to having had my own experience of well-meaning emergency transport arrangements not quite working out as hoped for and as advised to those involved.

dubscottie

[/B]

Which is covered by the equality act.

Having read the whole thread, I am sorry OP but it sounds like you did not help the situation and have a wee bit of a self entitlement complex which unfortunately most people seem to have now.

Did they force you to stand in front of the other passengers? You could have moved yourself to a quieter area to protect your dignity. Anyone that I have come across that has panic attacks generally self remove themselves from the situation that is causing the attack. (I am a trained first responder)

Staff may have been reluctant to help you as it was late at night and your "meltdown" may have been seen as drink or drug abuse related.

Remember they only had your word. They don't know who you are. The need to think of their own safety first.

However they should have called an ambulance at the minimum to get you checked out. Its standard procedure where I work (Ireland) as we have a duty of care to anyone on our property.

Last edited:

dubscottie

Are we not in danger of over-analysing this?

As I now understand it the OP arrived at Ely, where his train was terminated and reported his need for assistance to rail staff. Recognising the situation and trying to save the OP any more un-necessary difficulty the staff order a taxi to take them directly to their final destination (despite this prospectively costing their company £154). This being preferable to faffing around with another journey leg to Cambridge and the OP having to re-present himself there.
Sadly the taxi was delayed in turning up and for whatever reason the helpful staff failed to keep an eye on the situation. Perhaps there was a shift change or there were other issues to deal with in terms of the disruption to services.

All very regrettable but hardly evidence of a major breach of equality legislation.

Having been in charge of stations and dealing with stranded passengers late at night I can only confess to having had my own experience of well-meaning emergency transport arrangements not quite working out as hoped for and as advised to those involved.

Great sum up of the situation.

As I said there are too many making mountains out of molehills over the slightest thing that does not go how they want.

Twitter is a good example. Funny to watch the demands for hotels etc because a train is cancelled.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Yes no I am not short with anybody mind you waiting 80 mins for a cab you were promised in 20-25 without explanation may make a lot of people short, but a lot of people are having a go at me on points I have already covered obviously not reading all posts , so I am repeating myself.

The question I had was and I repeat "what training on the equality act is offered to rail employees" and seeing as there are plenty of employees on this forum think its a fair question.

The fact after there pages nobody has given me a definitive answer speaks volumes.

1/ Do you know if there were cabs available? You cannot blame the rail company if they were not.
2/ People may be "having a go at you" because your story has been gradually altered as the thread has advanced. Plus your attitude does come across as aggressive.
3/ You do seem to be willing to jump to conclusions very quickly.
4/ You seem to have a distinct misunderstanding as to the exact Act which you think applies to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.