• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

eTickets - you have to print for use at Moorgate??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downthelane

For interest, does the ticket say Moorgate or London Terminals. I know the questions is pedantic, but as you know the route you can see where I am going with it. I do also find the Northern City line a total pain. Although it is a NR service at Old Street and Moorgate you certainly feel like they wish they could make it go away.

eTicket says LON - London Terminals

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That explains a lot, I bet GTR were expecting everyone would be using King Cross.
Why would they. GTR operate services to Moorgate.

One day I wI’ll have to try using an e-ticket to travel from Kings across St Pancras to Moorgate using the Underground. It’s a valid inter-available route.

Given exercising this right can be problematic even with a paper ticket I wouldn’t fancy my chances with an e-ticket.

Why would they. GTR operate services to Moorgate.

One day I wI’ll have to try using an e-ticket to travel from Kings across St Pancras to Moorgate using the Underground. It’s a valid inter-available route.

Given exercising this right can be problematic even with a paper ticket I wouldn’t fancy my chances with an e-ticket.
Believe it can only be done with paper tickets, even in the event of disruption, so with ticket acceptance on tube (ie not e-tickets and not tickets on the Key - unless that ticket is a travel card).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Believe it can only be done with paper tickets, even in the event of disruption, so with ticket acceptance on tube (ie not e-tickets and not tickets on the Key - unless that ticket is a travel card).
That’s not specified anywhere, as far as I know. And in any case the medium on which a ticket is issued is irrelevant, although TfL line to make up their own rules and excuses as we are seeing in this thread!

cactustwirly

Established Member
TfL haven't installed e readers at the gatelines of stations they manage on the GWML.
Despite train line selling them to you, I found this out by accident. The gatelines assistant gave me a dodgy look when I presented my ticket

plugwash

Established Member
On other threads we have insiders talking about e-tickets being the future, then we have threads like this showing TFLs continued stubborn refusal to cooperate in that future.

Where does this all lead?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But why don’t LU/TfL want to accept these e-tickets? What is the official reason, is there even one?
They have to accept them, where they are valid, such as London Terminals tickets at Moorgate.

I would not go out of my way to satisfy TfL staff who cannot do their jobs properly; indeed I would relish the opportunity to come up against them and I would be happy to give them some suitable words of advice :)

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On other threads we have insiders talking about e-tickets being the future, then we have threads like this showing TFLs continued stubborn refusal to cooperate in that future.

Where does this all lead?
Hopefully, ultimately, this leads to enough pressure being put on TfL to actually install barcode readers, at least at stations that take cross-London tickets. But until then I'd agree that trying to use an e-ticket on the Tube is just going to cause hassle, though if I did have to pay an Oyster/Contactless fare (due to disruption, for example) I'd look to get that refunded via the (usually pretty good) Oyster helpline.

I do think that Moorgate should be accepting them, particularly as Trainline-backed retailers will sell e-tickets against Moorgate itineraries.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Unfortunately LU are still backwards in many respects and so whilst it's 2022, it often doesn't seem like it on LU!
While I don't necccesarily disagree, LU have clearly decided that they don't want to accommodate scanning tickets at gatelines because it's highly restrictive on throughput. Of course, they also really don't want to accommodate magstripe tickets or ITSO, because they're also slower than Oyster and Contactless taps, but they sort of have to. At the major Northern gatelines where there are only three gates, such as Warrington Central, it's very easy to see exactly why LU does not want this. The delays it leads to are crazy. I continue not to be surprised that they are trying to resist the worsening of the gate experience that all other operators are going for. If the ticket has been sold in that manner they have no choice but to accept it manually however. It's also less of an issue at large stations where there is room to install more gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.