• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
My point wasn't about the EU, it was about politicians who are just not good enough.
You complain about "clueless goon" MEP's voting through things. But we have the same with our MP's in Westminster.
So I am asking why our our "clueless goon" MP's any better than the elected "clueless goon" MEP's?

In terms of laws and directives that adversely affect things like the internet, we have a decent amount of them coming from the UK too! So leaving the EU isn't going to fix that!
I was trying to imply that.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You complain about "clueless goon" MEP's voting through things. But we have the same with our MP's in Westminster.
So I am asking why our our "clueless goon" MP's any better than the elected "clueless goon" MEP's?

The clueless goons in Westminster all reside in the UK and make laws solely pertaining to a country they understand. This makes them instantly more accountable. An errant Westminster MP for the constituency of Someshire-on-Rivername attracts national interest *across the demos* when they misbehave or try something controversial (or do something very worthwhile!). The same cannot be said for MEPs.

Inherently less accountable and very unwelcome. With every day that passes I come closer to wishing I’d voted Leave.

bramling

Veteran Member
The clueless goons in Westminster all reside in the UK and make laws solely pertaining to a country they understand. This makes them instantly more accountable. An errant Westminster MP for the constituency of Someshire-on-Rivername attracts national interest *across the demos* when they misbehave or try something controversial (or do something very worthwhile!). The same cannot be said for MEPs.

Inherently less accountable and very unwelcome. With every day that passes I come closer to wishing I’d voted Leave.

I must say I will be glad when we can get back to a domestic agenda.

Our relationship with the EU has been a thorn in the side of our politics for most of my lifetime. That in itself is one of a number of reasons why I voted leave.

trash80

Established Member

They are only less accountable and unwelcome because the public have chose to disregard the european parliament like that.

NSEFAN

Established Member

I don't think a lot of them do understand the UK (certainly not in central government at least), hence everything that has happened since the referendum (and before it). The only accountability is the risk of loss of a political career, but those close to power will usually have plenty of tricks up their sleeves so that they don't have to feel the consequences of their bad leadership.

NSEFAN

Established Member

Our relationship with the EU has been a thorn in the side of our politics for most of my lifetime. That in itself is one of a number of reasons why I voted leave.
In a way I agree with you. Without the scapegoat of the EU, perhaps our lot will have to actually do something? :D

On the other hand, the EU might become the next Gordon Brown, "our problems are all because The EU has been so harsh on us for leaving!"

nidave

MEP's who voted it in and then when asked about their decision, didn't know why. Clueless goons.
Sort of like Karen Bradley the The Northern Ireland secretary who admits she knows nothing about Northern Ireland yet will be making decisions which impact the Provence.

nidave

Give me a something which has directly impacted your life that is going to improve once we leave the EU - less foreigners does not count.

trash80

Established Member
In a way I agree with you. Without the scapegoat of the EU, perhaps our lot will have to actually do something? :D

On the other hand, the EU might become the next Gordon Brown, "our problems are all because The EU has been so harsh on us for leaving!"

Look how long the government still blames the last regime for things going wrong, they'll be still blaming the EU in the 2030s

muddythefish

On Moderation

It's been a thorn in the side of the Tory party - no one else.

Cameron should be locked up in the Tower for his reckless decision to call a referendum

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was in the news today about fears that British driving license holders may have to seek to obtain an International driving permit to drive to EU countries. Given that, according to the list on the AA website, there seem to be only be around six developed countries [1] that actually require an International driving permit for those with a British photocard driving license wishing to rent or drive a car there on holiday, I'm not sure whether the EU would really want to be lumped in with the likes of Iran, Pakistan and Russia who require British license holders to have such a permit.

[1] I may have missed one or two in the debate over whether a country is developed or not; I counted Bahrain, Brunei, South Korea, Japan, Singapore & Russia.

talltim

Established Member
It was in the news today about fears that British driving license holders may have to seek to obtain an International driving permit to drive to EU countries. Given that, according to the list on the AA website, there seem to be only be around six developed countries [1] that actually require an International driving permit for those with a British photocard driving license wishing to rent or drive a car there on holiday, I'm not sure whether the EU would really want to be lumped in with the likes of Iran, Pakistan and Russia who require British license holders to have such a permit.

[1] I may have missed one or two in the debate over whether a country is developed or not; I counted Bahrain, Brunei, South Korea, Japan, Singapore & Russia.
I suspect, like many similar things, it’s not so much that the EU would want enforce an international driving licence requirement, it’s just that no one has considered the problem at all and sorting an agreement will probably take longer than the Brexit deadline

AM9

Veteran Member
What is? I can’t see the title of the piece.
Isn't it a forum rule that links, (especially those only visible to subscribers to the linked website) are accompanied with at least a brief synopsis of the article to which it refers?

mmh

Established Member
So why has the UK government done bugger all about non EU migration which is an easy thing to tackle. Do you think, given successive governments lack of progress on non EU migration gives a hint to what's to come?

But non EU migration is completely within the the UK government's control.

I'm permanently surprised (well, no I'm not after two years of this) that so much of the pro-EU argument is about immigration. Apparently Britain never let any nasty foreigners in before the EU, seems to be the argument.

mmh

Established Member
So more to do with the idiots that we (as an electorate) have voted in then than the EU itself.
Considering we have also voted a load of idiots into Westminster, I wonder how March will make it any better!

They're our idiots. For what little it would do, I know how to try to speak to my elected representative, her surgery office is just down the road. I have no idea how, or why I should have to, find out how to contact Guy Verhoftstadt, as an example.

fowler9

Established Member
They're our idiots. For what little it would do, I know how to try to speak to my elected representative, her surgery office is just down the road. I have no idea how, or why I should have to, find out how to contact Guy Verhoftstadt, as an example.
Why not find out how to contact your MEP then? In the UK do you know how to contact Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg or Theresa May? Why do you need to contact Guy Verhoftstadt?

mmh

Established Member
I love how a ever closer EU is totally unnacceptable but the UK is stronger in a union and better off together rather than the inevitable breakup of the UK.

That's a very telling phrase. What is "the EU"? I'm perfectly happy with being "close" to our neighbours, what I'm not happy with is being told I should be close to some some absolutist organisation telling me I have to be. It's for our own good, the rules are the rules - no, we don't like that, and we're far from the only EU member who have people with similar cynicism as us.

fowler9

Established Member
That's a very telling phrase. What is "the EU"? I'm perfectly happy with being "close" to our neighbours, what I'm not happy with is being told I should be close to some some absolutist organisation telling me I have to be. It's for our own good, the rules are the rules - no, we don't like that, and we're far from the only EU member who have people with similar cynicism as us.
Remind me who "we" is again.

mmh

Established Member
I suspect, like many similar things, it’s not so much that the EU would want enforce an international driving licence requirement, it’s just that no one has considered the problem at all and sorting an agreement will probably take longer than the Brexit deadline

It's yet more Project Fear. Along the same lines as people on here suggesting that "the EU" might unilaterally decide to require British people to apply for visas to travel into the EU come March. It's all blatant nonsense.

fowler9

Established Member
It's yet more Project Fear. Along the same lines as people on here suggesting that "the EU" might unilaterally decide to require British people to apply for visas to travel into the EU come March. It's all blatant nonsense.
So Jaguar Landrover, is that Project Fear as well? Do you think the people who run one of our highest value exporters know less than you? Why would they say that they may have to quit the UK if it looks like a no deal Brexit? What do you know that they don't? Do you think they are just bricking it because of wishy washy scare stories?

mmh

Established Member
Why not find out how to contact your MEP then? In the UK do you know how to contact Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg or Theresa May? Why do you need to contact Guy Verhoftstadt?

Why would I want to contact an MP who wasn't mine? (And it's very easy to "contact" all three of those, in the same way as every MP. You won't hear back from them, you might get a form letter back at best). It's a better system than MEPs though - I don't have an MEP, who should I write a letter to for them to ignore?

Status
Not open for further replies.