• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-46056337?__twitter_impression=true

The National Crime Agency is investigating Arron Banks and his Leave.EU campaign for alleged offences committed at the 2016 EU referendum.

Mr Banks and another senior campaign figure, Liz Bilney, were referred to the agency by the Electoral Commission.

The watchdog said it suspected money given to the campaign came "from impermissible sources".

Mr Banks has consistently denied any wrongdoing in connection to the referendum campaign.

The Electoral Commission investigation focused on £2m reported to have been loaned to Better for the Country, which ran Leave.EU, by Mr Banks and his group of insurance companies and a further £6m reported to have been given to the organisation, on behalf of Leave.EU, by Arron Banks alone.

Of this, £2.9m was used to fund referendum spending on behalf of Leave.EU and donations to other campaign groups during the EU referendum, the Electoral Commission said.

The Electoral Commission says it has "reasonable grounds to suspect" that Mr Banks was not the true source of the £8m loans made to Better for the Country.

Leave.EU was a separate campaign to the official Vote Leave organisation.

Howardh

Established Member
Finally, the cupboards are being opened and the skeletons are coming out. Quite appropriate after Halloween! Enough to put the referendum outcome in doubt?
Probably not, but the latest on Sky news is that there are plans afoot to airlift stranded passengers in the EU back to Britain in the event of no-deal and flights being grounded - I kid you not (which begs the question why won't the allocated airlift planes be grounded too....??? **answer - they will be EU registered I suppose) so I wonder if Jezza and Kezza with three screaming preteens stranded at Palma Airport for hours upon hours would still put Freedom of Movement top of their referendum priorities? Or perhaps an easy journey home might change their vote??

Muttley

No it doesn't, because the UK doesn't give the EU all of its income.
Not a problem, I'm not an inflexible monster.
You pick a percentage, and I'll let you have the same deal as PD. What would you like to send me, 10%, 20%, 35% ?

EM2

Established Member

JayDee

Stuff not pointed out by the BBC is about half the electoral commission is quitting/resigning due to their incompetence on numerous matters, including their earlier "gotcha" that got thrown out of court due to them giving wrong advice in the first place to a vote leave person.

They've also simply ignored any calls to investigate the remain campaigns for doing the same, displaying a rather clear bias and called incompetent by other bodies.

Banks seems to be relishing the chance to grandstand then crow about it if/when the case is thrown out. Foreign money from "odd" sources is not really a Pandora's box politicians should have wanted opening, doubly so when Soros who once tanked the UK economy can give money freely and not be referred to the NCA.

Muttley

£350 million a week works out as 1.2% of our national GDP. So, for your analogy to work, PD would have to send you 1.2% of his wages. Not 100%. And you would have to give ~50% of that 1.2% back to PD.

So, your analogy does fall.
The analogy stands.
That's four of you interested in sending me 1.2% of your wages.
Many thanks.

Howardh

Established Member
The analogy stands.
That's four of you interested in sending me 1.2% of your wages.
Many thanks.
That'll be 77p, 1.2% of my weekly carer's allowance. I'd send it but the cost of postage would be prohibitive.
Will Brexit help full-time carers like me? No need to answer, I already know. It begins and ends with "zero".

Muttley

I don't have a job. So, you owe me 1.2% of my £27,750 student debt. Or, £333 to be paid directly to Student Finance England please!
Sorry, it doesn't work like that.
You'll notice that the UKs deficit may be coming down, but the debt is still increasing. And even though we're in debt we still give (your figures) 1.2% away to the EU.
To continue my analogy, your student debt is no concern of mine, but I still require 1.2% of your income, be it Jobsekers Allowance, Universal Credit, or just goodwill from friends/family.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Sorry, it doesn't work like that.
You'll notice that the UKs deficit may be coming down, but the debt is still increasing. And even though we're in debt we still give (your figures) 1.2% away to the EU.
To continue my analogy, your student debt is no concern of mine, but I still require 1.2% of your income, be it Jobsekers Allowance, Universal Credit, or just goodwill from friends/family.
And, in return, I require over 50% of that 1.2% back from you for various home improvements (see EU contributions towards roads in the Highlands etc.) and unlimited free access to all other members' markets, as well as those outside parties who have signed up to deals.
If you agree to those terms (which membership of the EU gets you) then I will happily send over £2.49 a week (which is 1.2% of my "income").

How would you balance the desire to have different customs laws and agreements than the EU whilst maintaining a soft border between Ireland, Northern Ireland and Great Britain?

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Good ignoring.
Well done.

You've had your questions answered, and just because you don't agree you have a sulk.
Well, PD hasn't had their questions answered.
You said that you *would* answer them, but only on agreement of a ridiculously flawed analogy which PD had to accept.

Howardh

Established Member
Me too, including Schengen - might even accept the Euro when we get back to good exchange rates. If we go back we may have to, so I would suggest anyone who is anti-Euro should wish we remained in on the same terms and kept Sterling!

EM2

Established Member
Without a knowledge of just what situation the UK would be in now if it had never been in the EU, you are demonstrating the sort of blind faith that you accuse Brexiters of having.
But I can see what benefits membership of the EU has brought to other countries, like Ireland for example. I have evidence.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
But I can see what benefits membership of the EU has brought to other countries, like Ireland for example. I have evidence.

Ireland isn’t a country comparable to the UK though. Its economy was vastly different and frankly backward before it joined the EEC, and it took out more than it put in for 33 years, unlike many other countries.

furnessvale

Established Member
If the UK joined as net recipients things could have been different. But we didn't and I don't think that would be an option in your scenario either.

The EU wants the UK for its wealth and world strength. Nothing altruistic in it.

radamfi

Established Member
The UK was one of the poorest countries in the EEC in the 70s. Circa 1980 GDP per capita was about $3500, whereas West Germany, France, Belgium and the Netherlands were around $5000-6000. The UK was famously nicknamed "the sick man of Europe"

furnessvale

Established Member
Then why did De Gaulle veto our entry for so long?
De Gaulle was a bitter and twisted man who grudgingly accepted that the USA liberated his country but would never accept the UK (or Canada) role in France's liberation. "Vive Quebec libre!" What a disgraceful intervention in politics in a country where you are a guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.