• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Rumours are that the reason Michael Gove cleared his diary today is because he's taking over as Brexit secretary.
And there's also rumpors that she's been called in this afternoon to be told there's a vote of no confidence in her.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
This day has been coming since the referendum result was announced. A chain of many, many slow motion car crashes and the resulting pile-up today shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

trash80

Established Member
Letters are going in. If i was May though i'd just quit right now, tell them to do something biologically impossible to themselves and go on holiday.

Class37.4

Gove is an extreme opportunist and an absolute slimeball of a Politician.

But not as much as 'Boris' though, and one thing I will say about 'Gove' is that at least he was honest about leaving the single market during the referendum where other leavers were less so.

bnm

Established Member
Reports from lobby correspondents are that the chairman of the 1922 Committee has the 48+ letters needed to trigger a no-confidence vote in the leader of the Conservative Party.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
listening to the Brexit debate over my lunch it struck me there was not one voice of support. May is surely finished.

As an aside as much as i detest Tories i have a great deal of sympathy for May over Brexit. She simply can't win with this situation. By the sounds of it she might be going on leave soon......................

nlogax

Established Member
Letters are going in. If i was May though i'd just quit right now, tell them to do something biologically impossible to themselves and go on holiday.

Being PM post-referendum was always going to be a thankless and nigh-on impossible task, and ultimately limited in duration. But May wanted this..

northwichcat

Veteran Member
As an aside as much as i detest Tories i have a great deal of sympathy for May over Brexit. She simply can't win with this situation. By the sounds of it she might be going on leave soon......................

Agreed. There was never going to be any form of Brexit which over 50% of MPs or the public wanted. She's got a hard Brexit with a few elements of soft Brexit thrown in and people are either complaining it's not 100% hard Brexit or the bits of soft Brexit are nothing compared to what we get through EU membership.

thejuggler

The agreement contains lots of areas which are to be agreed - an agreement to agree isn't a good agreement. Its a can kicked down the road.

It is however no surprise it has ended this way because Brexit was never defined and Northern Ireland was always going to be the one circle which couldn't be squared.

Howardh

Established Member
Reports from lobby correspondents are that the chairman of the 1922 Committee has the 48+ letters needed to trigger a no-confidence vote in the leader of the Conservative Party.
One of them was from May herself o_O

bnm

Established Member
Situation very fluid. Now reports that the 1922 Commitee has not (yet) got the 48 letters.

Howardh

Established Member
And rumors abound re. Gove has declined the Brexit Secretary position.
Yes, he's another famed for running away.
How good must Brexit be when all those who wanted it simply run away? Time to call Brexit off - the game's up.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Could always just give Northern Ireland back. Solves a lot of problems.

Go on. Dare you.

Would anyone take it once the GFA collapsed and the sectarianism returned?

BTW I am actually surprised one of the brexit clowns hasn't suggested that as an option. Their grasp on current affairs is limited let alone history!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Can't wait to see Rees-Mogg's and Johnson's amazing alternative deals

No deal - it is what they have wanted since day 1

Some of the sanctimonious and duplicitous statements these people have made today are bordering on parody. RM is on TV now slime balling his way out of any responsibility and blaming May entirely. They are after toppling her and getting one of their gang in to deliver a no deal brexit.

I hope their wives take notice of what the divorce negotiations will be like!

AM9

Veteran Member
Apparently still short of enough letters, be a laugh if they couldn't get over the line
It's not just how many letters that triggers a VoNC, the chairman has to contact each MP who did submit one and get confirmation that they wish their letter to be included. It may be that the few that have sent letters in since the Chequers awayday don't want their's counted.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The never-ending fun of Brexit...

All we need is a Baldrick to give us a cunning plan to get the country out of the pickle.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
DsCbOYlX4AACAz5.jpg

[Image of Quotes of Brexiteers -none of which were attainable]

Told you so - project fear is project reality. Anyone want to stand up here and defend Brexit?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Told you so - project fear is project reality. Anyone want to stand up here and defend Brexit?

Don't you see, it isnt their fault. Teresa May negotiated badly. She surrendered. She is to blame. They would have done better at delivering the will of the people and told those awful forigns where to get off.

Chancers and charlatans the lot of them.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In a strange feeling of "Déjà vu", Margaret Thatcher resigned on Wednesday 28th November 1990. The 28th November this year is a week on Wednesday. I think May will have gone by then though.

Darandio

Established Member
Grayling now tipped to resign before the end of the day. Every cloud and all that......

DarloRich

Veteran Member
who knew there were so many unknown Tories that could resign from sinecure positions. This would all be terribly funny if it wasn't so serious!

Status
Not open for further replies.