• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich McLean

Established Member
You know, whilst this is about the UK, I wonder if this will "let" other countries do the same thing

This

Without our contribution to the EU, this could badly effect the weaker EU economies, and force a few more Eurozone bailouts at the same time could well results in a knock on effect and eventual breakup of the EU. The larger EU States will then say enough is enough and then leave.

It will be a very tough but interesting few years. If the above does happen, the pound will rise again and the UK will be relatively unaffected. All an exit will do is speed up that process.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheKnightWho

Established Member
This

Without our contribution to the EU, this could badly effect the weaker EU economies, and force a few more Eurozone bailouts at the same time could well results in a knock on effect and eventual breakup of the EU. The larger EU States will then say enough is enough and then leave.

It will be a very tough but interesting few years. If the above does happen, the pound will rise again and the UK will be relatively unaffected. All an exit will do is speed up that process.

A strong pound is useless if we're no longer able to import from our previous trading partners because their economies are screwed.

Domh245

Established Member
So, now that it is statistically impossible for remain to win, and given the voting of the various nations, do we think we're seeing the end of the UK? Scotland sounds like it wants leave, and Northern Ireland is being dragged out against it's will. Either way, sh*t is going to hit the fan big time.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
So, now that it is statistically impossible for remain to win, and given the voting of the various nations, do we think we're seeing the end of the UK? Scotland sounds like it wants leave, and Northern Ireland is being dragged out against it's will. Either way, sh*t is going to hit the fan big time.

The woman in charge in Scotland says she will call for another vote to leave the UK, but its expected that it will go the same way and they will stay

Domh245

Established Member
NIKKEI down 8%. We seem to be causing problems globally.

Edit: Apparently, they've now ceased trading. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Last edited:

Rich McLean

Established Member

If Scotland holds another referendum, if they vote leave, it would take them many many years to get into the EU. This is also why I think if scottish voters went back to the polls, they would vote to remain part of the UK, unless the EU gave them a fast track promise of Scotland joining independently.

Domh245

Established Member
If Scotland holds another referendum, if they vote leave, it would take them many many years to get into the EU. This is also why I think if scottish voters went back to the polls, they would vote to remain part of the UK, unless the EU gave them a fast track promise of Scotland joining independently.

If they can get a vote within 2 years, they might be able to take over the UK's place, so to speak

Flying Snail

Established Member

Scotland will be interesting, I wonder if SNP have polled numbers for independence after leave? It certainly wouldn't be the same decision, England dragging them out of EU suggests more going for independence versus the bigger divorce from the rest of UK with a cross EU border as well.

NI has nowhere to go other than hanging on England's coat tails. Their economy can't pay it's own way and a united Ireland is a non-runner politically or financially, ROI wouldn't be able to pay for (or police) NI with the sort of political unrest that the Unionists would cause.

Antman

Established Member
How does it taste?

Pretty good to me.

I think there's going to be a few people on here who won't be enjoying the taste of humble pie looking back at some of the smug comments, talking about counting chickens:D

I've only just woken up to the fantastic news:D

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I don't think he is, he's just facing reality. Remain has won.

Is there anybody in Britain who doesn't think that remain will win?

I think there's going to be a few people on here who won't be enjoying the taste of humble pie looking back at some of the smug comments, talking about counting chickens:D

Maybe Gutfight - I get the assumption he voted to Remain

I voted to Leave because I am from Hull, and we have long memories regarding fish...

TheKnightWho

Established Member

Failing businesses, lost jobs and higher prices are not "fantastic news". This won't be Project Fear anymore: it'll be Project Reality.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Still two years before we leave though, isn't it? We're still obligated by Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

Bromley boy

Established Member
That Pound sterling has decreased by 11%? Hardly fantastic

Currency fluctuations occur all the time. We can weather it. We've weathered economic downturns before. The difference is, this time, we are doing it on our own terms, making our own democratic decisions.

This is a brave and optimistic new world.

Domh245

Established Member
Currency fluctuations occur all the time. We can weather it. We've weathered economic downturns before. The difference is, this time, we are doing it on our own terms, making our own democratic decisions.

Currency fluctuations don't typically get to 10%, nor trigger warnings about the most volatile behaviour that has ever been seen from pound sterling.

TheKnightWho

Established Member

It's the largest drop in history, by a large margin. That is not a common currency fluctuation: it's increased the cost of our imports by 12.5% overnight. That is enormous, given we have a trade deficit.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah well... We'll muggle our way through it

I'm staggered by the blind optimism in the face of a worse drop than 2008!

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member

So we'll flog a bit more stuff at lower prices... *shrugs*... We will be alright in the end

We have got through worse things in this country's past - we can get through this

Last edited:

Rich McLean

Established Member
It's the largest drop in history, by a large margin. That is not a common currency fluctuation: it's increased the cost of our imports by 12.5% overnight. That is enormous, given we have a trade deficit.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Hence massive price rises that will come from that, along with an Emergency Budget that will get rushed through Parliament before the end of July

Status
Not open for further replies.