• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
I'm sure that Antman is sorry about that, but he exercised his democratic right to vote in the manner he wanted.

Indeed as have many other people who wanted out of the EU.

Certainly where I live there is nothing but leave posters in windows and on cars, I haven't seen one remain poster. I said all along that I took all the forecasts with a pinch of salt and clearly I was right to do so.

I appreciate that this isn't the result everybody wanted and I have no wish to gloat although there were plenty of gloaters on here last night when they thought remain had it in the bag, some posts may have subsequently been deleted though;)

It's a bright sunny day here which is quite appropriate for the dawn of a new era.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Indeed as have many other people who wanted out of the EU.

Certainly where I live there is nothing but leave posters in windows and on cars, I haven't seen one remain poster. I said all along that I took all the forecasts with a pinch of salt and clearly I was right to do so.

I appreciate that this isn't the result everybody wanted and I have no wish to gloat although there were plenty of gloaters on here last night when they thought remain had it in the bag, some posts may have subsequently been deleted though;)

It's a bright sunny day here which is quite appropriate for the dawn of a new era.

Yes - a few of mine were removed for some odd reason...

I voted out because I distrust the EU and, being from Hull, we've always been full of hate for the fishing policies which put my old man out of a job in shipping.

Perhaps radamfi can explain his position more clearly apart from expressing a desire to commit suicide on a forum viewable by people under the age of 18?

Domh245

Established Member
If our currency just lost value, that's good news if you work for a UK exporter... Your products just became massively cheaper.

As TheKnightWho says, that's a fat lot of good when we are a huge net importer...

Currency markets are volatile and will fluctuate based on emotion and market sentiment. No change there. It will stabilise over time.

Again, 10% drops aren't normal. This is very very much abnormal. The fact that we've halted trading is Japan is also a pretty bad sign

Keep in mind we went through the greatest recession since the 1930s a mere 8 years ago. EU membership didn't help us then...

The value of pound sterling has fallen past it's value of 2008 and reached a low not seen since 1985. This is going to hurt, and it's going to hurt hard...

It won't matter when I'm dead.

I implore you to not do anything daft. Try and weather this storm, it's all still very fresh and nobody knows what will happen. There is a chance that it won't be as bad as we're all making out

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
So, when do we think Boris Johnson is going to make his power play for PM?

I greatly suspect Cameron will get a challenge from within the Conservative Party and given his failed support for Remain, I can see him getting voted out in favour of one of the leading Exit supporters. He may even stand down, not wanting to be associated with having to pull the release cord.

NSEFAN

Established Member
The most important thing will be to get some stability. Last bloody thing we need is an unstable Europe. :roll:

Butts

Veteran Member
May i ask, butts, which way you voted?

To Leave as I was sick of Sturgeon pontificating about how vital it was to be in the EU. I secretly hoped we would stay in.

However I accept the result and recognise that we need to look forward and not backwards.For the record my daughter voted in St Andrews after her Graduation to stay in. My Son in the West Midlands had my ex-wifes proxy vote in the West Midlands (as she was up here for ceremony) and I suspect would have been two for out.

The markets will stabilise - anyone remember 15% Interest Rates when we bombed out of the ERM - that was real pain.(for Mortgage Payers - Council Tenants didn't give a toss - my ex-M in Law was one)

Antman

Established Member
As TheKnightWho says, that's a fat lot of good when we are a huge net importer...

Again, 10% drops aren't normal. This is very very much abnormal. The fact that we've halted trading is Japan is also a pretty bad sign

The value of pound sterling has fallen past it's value of 2008 and reached a low not seen since 1985. This is going to hurt, and it's going to hurt hard...

I implore you to not do anything daft. Try and weather this storm, it's all still very fresh and nobody knows what will happen. There is a chance that it won't be as bad as we're all making out

Exactly, nothing is going to change overnight.

dgl

Established Member
If our currency just lost value, that's good news if you work for a UK exporter... Your products just became massively cheaper.

Good news as a UK exporter only works if the materials that are used to make such product (such as metal, plastic Etc.) originally come from Britain (which I think would be very rare). If the price of the raw materials goes up significantly due to a weak pound then any advantages of a weak pound are removed.

Personally at the moment I feel ashamed to be British, primarily in that we (well not me personally) allowed ourselves to brainwashed by some of the worst people in Britain, in that we would be better of out of the EU, the economy was ruined before we originally joined and now we leave it is looking to be even worse.
When everyone who actually has some intelligence (basically) is telling you to stay you should listen. We all know boris and farage had their own reasons to leave the EU (none of them based on making Britain better) and if only remain could have gotten that point across mabey it would have been a better result.

As for some of the reasons for leaving, I get the fishermen's points but the over fishing would have decimated the industry anyway, of you have no fish to catch you haven't got any to sell, and as for the stupidity regarding vacuum cleaners, the high power consumption ones got banned because they were crap. A decent vacuum cleaner does not need 1200w+ to work. Neither the Henry's or the upright SEBO's we have at work consume anymore than 1000w yet I bet the suction power is still greater than a 1800w home machine.

The EU was a great thing for Britain, it brought stability to Europe, it gave our farmers a future and it protected the environment for future generations. Now it seems Britain will be sold to the highest bidder and we will all be at their mercy. (thank god I went on holiday to France last year!)

Last edited:

miami

Established Member
Time for a brexit tax targeting those that wanted to leave. Let's start with cutting the state Pension, and then unemployment benefit.

Flying Snail

Established Member
On the contrary we are in a very strong negotiating position. We are a major world economy and therefore impact on a great many European businesses.

3.7% of the world economy. The sun most definitely sets on the British Empire these days.

I suspect I speak for a great many "out" voters when I say I'd happily weather some short term economic instability for this momentous result. It goes far deeper than economics. I'd happily live in a poorer country, but one in which the will of its people takes charge of its destiny

You live in a country ruled by a party who polled 1/3 of the popular vote, if you really are interested in the will of the people I would suggest election reform would have been a far better idea than EU exit.

TheKnightWho

Established Member

TheKnightWho

Established Member
You really are a bundle of joy, don't suppose you get invited to many parties?:D:D

I'm sure you'd say the same to someone who said a member of your family died.

This is not funny - this is real people's lives and all you can do is laugh like the captain of the Titanic. Fitting, because he "took back control" too, didn't he? Fat lot of use it did him.

Domh245

Established Member
In other news, Farron is ripping into Corbyn over his (and Labours) inaction with regards to campaigning.

Antman

Established Member
I'm sure you'd say the same to someone who said a member of your family died.

This is not funny - this is real people's lives and all you can do is laugh like the captain of the Titanic. Fitting, because he "took back control" too, didn't he? Fat lot of use it did him.

Comparisons to a family bereavement are utterly ridiculous.

You didn't get the result you wanted, just get over it eh?

Domh245

Established Member
Final results are in:

Leave: 17,410,742
Remain: 16,141,241

I found it rather odd that areas of the country that benefit from EU membership (Wales, Cornwall) voted leave. It really is Turkeys voting in favour of Christmas.

Harbornite

Established Member
Just woken up to this crap. Well done Britain, you've let me down in choosing sovereignty over economic stability :roll:.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Comparisons to a family bereavement are utterly ridiculous.

You didn't get the result you wanted, just get over it eh?

Like I keep saying, this isn't a game. If someone loses in the Olympics, the Euros or whatever I'm disappointed but I ultimately get on with my life.

This isn't the same. Thousands of people's livelihoods are already on the line and we haven't even hit the working day yet. It's not about that I "didn't get the result wanted", because I didn't make my decision based on what made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I really cannot believe some of the ostriches in the sand on this forum sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.