• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Eurostar bids for East Coast Main Line franchise"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
The other option would be to reverse at Edinburgh, of course.

True - but then Stirling to Carlisle via Edinburgh (rather than Coatbridge) would be slow and more of a "box ticking" exercise (hmm, the kind of tokenistic thing that looks good when putting in a franchise bid?)

junglejames

Established Member
I do find it curious that the anti-IEP crowd simultaneously hate it for being bi-mode and think that services will be cut back. I have my own reservations about it (especially regarding the price), but the entire point of bi-mode is to expand service potential, is it not?

I have yet to find any Anti IEP on here who has combined these 2 complaints.
However yes on other forums some people have complained about both underfloor engines, and the possibilitiy of services being cut back. But there are very good reasons for this, and im not sure if the fears have been laid to rest or not by the DfT.

Complaining about the possibility of services being cut back has nothing whatsoever to do with dual mode or not dual mode. So it really is not curious. Its quite reasonable to question this possibility.

Nobody has yet questioned Inverness though. The person on here just asked whether it would be safe, as he believed it now would be. Dual mode was never mentioned or complained about.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just as a reminder - this thread is about the Eurostar bid for the East Coast franchise.... please refrain from using it as a base for discussing pros and cons of the IEP programme. :)

TrainBoy98

Anyone think that Stagecoach might make a bid for the ECML on their own and not go in with Virgin? Or MTR have another go at getting a franchise?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Although to be fair you could say the same about most TOCs when they first won a franchise ;)

True but now that the industry has some companies with a proven track record of operating a franchise like this I don't think MTR would do well to try and jump in the deep end with ICEC. GA strike me as the kind of franchise that MTR could consider going for if they wanted to move onto the longer-distance franchises.

Now that I've said that they'll bid, win and we'll be ranting and raving about how good they are for the next fifteen years :lol:

tbtc

Veteran Member
To try to get this discussion back on track, I should say that its good to have a "new" bidder and an "upmarket" bidder, in the shape of Eurostar - whilst I appreciate that they are basically just a different branch of the same organisation as Keolis, they are one of the few travel brands that could "excite" the Great British Public (and aren't known for running buses/ emptying bins/ operating prisons).

Given the lack of variety in some recent tenders, its good to see Eurostar want to be involved (though obviously any new bidder can be dismissed by enthusiasts along the lines of "the only reason new people are interested in bidding are the sky high profits") - given the way that Sea Containers presented GNER as an upmarket operation.

Clip

Established Member
True but now that the industry has some companies with a proven track record of operating a franchise like this I don't think MTR would do well to try and jump in the deep end with ICEC. GA strike me as the kind of franchise that MTR could consider going for if they wanted to move onto the longer-distance franchises.

Now that I've said that they'll bid, win and we'll be ranting and raving about how good they are for the next fifteen years :lol:

You're right, there are but as a business do we only want to have the merry go round go to just a few big companies? Especially ones that may not have a good track record on other franchises they have had in the past?

To be honest, theres not a lot you have to do with ICEC really, few more staff and blah blah blah as it generally runs itself. What may hold them back from it is their knowledge of the UK rail industry as it stands( I cant remember if they have a stake in any other TOC) which is why a partnership would be good for them.

Eagle

Established Member
(I cant remember if they have a stake in any other TOC)

50% of LOROL, shared with Arriva (formerly DB Regio). Although that's blurring the lines between franchisee and concessionaire.

MTR also bid for the Southeastern and London Midland franchises, but lost both to Govia.

Clip

Established Member
50% of LOROL, shared with Arriva (formerly DB Regio). Although that's blurring the lines between franchisee and concessionaire.

MTR also bid for the Southeastern and London Midland franchises, but lost both to Govia.

I remember now yes. Yeah what LOROL is is still a quandry really :lol:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What may hold them back from it is their knowledge of the UK rail industry as it stands( I cant remember if they have a stake in any other TOC) which is why a partnership would be good for them.

Ah if we're talking about partnership working then I don't see why they shouldn't go for it. My concern was for MTR trying to go it alone.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Although to be fair you could say the same about most TOCs when they first won a franchise ;)

True.

Sea Containers did a fine job with GNER, and their previous experience was shipping at Felixstowe.

LOROL is a concession. The franchise holder is TfL.

Established Member

MTR was also in a joint bid with Sea Containers for the south western franchise in 2006. At a late stage the new CEO of Sea Containers decided not to proceed with the bid, much to the disappointment of Christopher Garnett of GNER. MTR decided to proceed alone. Then National Express, who had pre-qualified but later decided to withdraw, re-entered the bidding in partnership with MTR. Of course they didn't win, because Stagecoach put in a very high bid, being desperate to keep the franchise. MTR commented that to win a rail franchise seemed to require an unrealistic bid, but evidently they decided that it would be worth bidding with Chiltern for the LOROL concession.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
MTR was also in a joint bid with Sea Containers for the south western franchise in 2006. At a late stage the new CEO of Sea Containers decided not to proceed with the bid, much to the disappointment of Christopher Garnett of GNER. MTR decided to proceed alone. Then National Express, who had pre-qualified but later decided to withdraw, re-entered the bidding in partnership with MTR. Of course they didn't win, because Stagecoach put in a very high bid, being desperate to keep the franchise. MTR commented that to win a rail franchise seemed to require an unrealistic bid, but evidently they decided that it would be worth bidding with Chiltern for the LOROL concession.

MTR is shortlisted for both the Essex Thameside and TSGN franchises for which bidding has just started.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I don't think Richard Branson will win, he lost the recent XC bid then lost the WC bid

Whether he wins or not will come down purely to the content of the bid, or at least it bloody well ought to!

There should be NO way that he wins because of who he is, or because the DfT feel they should somehow let Virgin have it as compensation.

Nor should the bid be rejected as a way of revenge.

I don't envy the DfT on this one. They're going to get it in the neck whatever the outcome.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It kinda serves them right for messing up the first time.

So if someone messes up they should be criticised for everything else they do, even if it's right?

Seems rather cruel as well as not encouraging people to improve (why bother if they're going to get it in the neck anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.