• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar not serving Kent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Wasn't the idea of Stratford International that trains on North of London routes could stop there to also serve london? I understand why Eurostar won't stop there on a train that terminates at St Pancras, as it is so close and would introduce so many extra costs in security and border force, so people can avoid at 10 minute journey on the tube?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
What's the normal way for non-drivers from Kent to go to France?
Theres 5 ferries from Dover each day that take foot passengers but the reality of the situation is that market is tiny. Some people are willing to double back via St Pancras and pay the extra £35 (from Ashford) but not many Id suggest. Most people drive.

I'd not put money on that happening (the passenger flights specifically), given the history.
I think it will. The freight market has changed since the airport closed and there are now real on going random melt downs regularly on the chanel ports and M20. The ferries and le shuttle are in excess of capacity at peak demand. Once the freight is up and running you can attract the low cost airlines at next to no additional cost. Marston is alledgedly attracting interest from Ryanair and Easyjet as well as KLM. I think the big hurdle was the planning which is passed.

Last edited:

johncrossley

Established Member
The easiest way nowadays is to take your bike. That way you can use all ferries from Dover to Calais and Dunkerque and you avoid the excessively early check in times on the few P&O foot passenger sailings.

The most normal way (apart from driving) is the same as it is for everyone else in southern England. Fly or Eurostar from London. They gain no advantage for being physically near France compared to someone in, say, Southampton.

I suppose the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry is more foot passenger friendly. Of course, Newhaven is in East Sussex but quite near Kent.

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
The easiest way nowadays is to take your bike. That way you can use all ferries from Dover to Calais and Dunkerque and you avoid the excessively early check in times on the few P&O foot passenger sailings.

The most normal way (apart from driving) is the same as it is for everyone else in southern England. Fly or Eurostar from London. They gain no advantage for being physically near France compared to someone in, say, Southampton.

I suppose the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry is more foot passenger friendly. Of course, Newhaven is in East Sussex but quite near Kent.
If moving to Folkestone does no longer mean I can easily go to Calais for a day trip, one of the advantages of the town is lost.

johncrossley

Established Member
If moving to Folkestone does no longer mean I can easily go to Calais for a day trip, one of the advantages of the town is lost.

I thought you were an athlete? I wouldn't thought you would have much of a problem with taking a bike on the ferry. Obviously if you have a car you can easily take Eurotunnel from just outside Folkestone.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Newhaven-Dieppe is both foot and cycle passenger friendly. However they are much less frequent crossings and it's a longer crossing at 4 hours. Also, Newhaven may appear to be near Kent on a map but it is at the far western end of East Sussex and to get there from Kent requires using either the A26 or A259 through various towns and hilly areas on single carriageway roads of variable quality. From chatting to people in the queue, Newhaven tends to attract custom from people west of Sussex heading to the west of France, especially with younger children, for whom the 4hr crossing replaces what would otherwise be a long drive along both coasts.

The time difference and 4hr crossing tends to mean the UK>Fr leg is not quite as conveniently timed as the Fr>UK leg, but it's not too bad all things considered.

paul1609

Established Member
Newhaven-Dieppe is both foot and cycle passenger friendly. However they are much less frequent crossings and it's a longer crossing at 4 hours. Also, Newhaven may appear to be near Kent on a map but it is at the far western end of East Sussex and to get there from Kent requires using either the A26 or A259 through various towns and hilly areas on single carriageway roads of variable quality. From chatting to people in the queue, Newhaven tends to attract custom from people west of Sussex heading to the west of France, especially with younger children, for whom the 4hr crossing replaces what would otherwise be a long drive along both coasts.

The time difference and 4hr crossing tends to mean the UK>Fr leg is not quite as conveniently timed as the Fr>UK leg, but it's not too bad all things considered.
To be honest it depends where youre going. I live on the Kent & East Sussex Border near Rye and Newhaven is about 1 hours drive from my home.
If after you go through the tunnel youre going to turn right on the A16 past Abbeyville and down to the south including the Western and Southern side of Paris Dieppes not a bad option as long as its going to be a smooth crossing. Dieppe and the nearby Baie de la Somme are also a much better weekend break when compared to Calais, Dunkirk etc.

zwk500

Veteran Member
To be honest it depends where youre going. I live on the Kent & East Sussex Border near Rye and Newhaven is about 1 hours drive from my home.
If after you go through the tunnel youre going to turn right on the A16 past Abbeyville and down to the south including the Western and Southern side of Paris Dieppes not a bad option as long as its going to be a smooth crossing. Dieppe and the nearby Baie de la Somme are also a much better weekend break when compared to Calais, Dunkirk etc.
Agreed. It's a shame the fast ferry stopped, you used to be able to get a nice day trip out round Dieppe (a lovely town) with a 2hr crossing.

alex397

Established Member
Are foot passengers still allowed? I can’t get clear info on the DFDS website to confirm if you can. But there is a section when talking about Calais that says ‘foot crossings to France are currently suspended’. I’m not sure if that refers to just the Calais route or Dieppe as well.

https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-ferries/foot-crossings

Please note our foot crossings to France are currently suspended until further notice. To register your interest in our foot crossings to Calais please leave your details in the form and we will contact you when the foot crossings go on sale again.

I like the idea of taking a bike instead, but sadly due to my disability this wouldn’t be an option for me.

Historically, looking at all the options to cross the channel from Kent, part of me feels sad I’ll never get to experience then. Hovercraft from Pegwell Bay or Dover. Hydrofoil. Ferries from Folkestone, Dover and Ramsgate, including boat trains. Of course the increase of plane travel ended some of those, but with Channel Tunnel being the final nail in the coffin. However in some ways it seems to be a backwards step.

zwk500

Veteran Member

ashkeba

Established Member
Historically, looking at all the options to cross the channel from Kent, part of me feels sad I’ll never get to experience then. Hovercraft from Pegwell Bay or Dover. Hydrofoil. Ferries from Folkestone, Dover and Ramsgate, including boat trains. Of course the increase of plane travel ended some of those, but with Channel Tunnel being the final nail in the coffin. However in some ways it seems to be a backwards step.
There is that ferry company using sailboats!

zwk500

Veteran Member
Other way round, the Channel Tunnel was a bit of a sucker punch, but low cost Airlines are what absolutely trashed the cross-channel options.

paul1609

Established Member
Other way round, the Channel Tunnel was a bit of a sucker punch, but low cost Airlines are what absolutely trashed the cross-channel options.
In hindsight the channel tunnel was a mistake, what was needed was a roadrail link like the Oresund. I think the plan was to give railfreight a boost but the reality is that Kent is just full of moribound yards and loops and what we desperately need is a road link.

Sm5

I saw an advert on a Stagecoach bus last week that DFDS run a bus from London to Dunkerque, which calls at least at Bluewater, Canterbury and Dover Priory, it is £25 single, £30 day return.
Fingerprinting those passengers in Dover is going to be a joy of joys.

I can see the chaos at Dover now getting a lot worse, finger printing all car drivers, buses/coaches etc.

zwk500

Veteran Member
In hindsight the channel tunnel was a mistake, what was needed was a roadrail link like the Oresund.
A road link was examined, but in the final reckoning was decided to be not financially viable. It would have been full of technical challenges, not least ensuring sufficient ventilation. The EuroRoute proposal (see the excellent article here: https://www.roads.org.uk/articles/euroroute).
The Oresund is a 4km tunnel (10m deep) with 8km bridge, the transition happening near a natural island. The Straight of Dover is 30km wide and has a smooth profile from shore to shore, average depth of 46m. It is a completely different engineering challenge.
I think the plan was to give railfreight a boost but the reality is that Kent is just full of moribound yards and loops and what we desperately need is a road link.
Dollands Moor is quite well used to be fair. The bigger problem was forcing HS1 to have some freight capacity, rather than focusing freight onto the classic network and leaving HS1 as a pure passenger line. Investment in the pinch points of the network would have benefitted regular passengers as well.

paul1609

Established Member
A road link was examined, but in the final reckoning was decided to be not financially viable. It would have been full of technical challenges, not least ensuring sufficient ventilation. The EuroRoute proposal (see the excellent article here: https://www.roads.org.uk/articles/euroroute).
The Oresund is a 4km tunnel (10m deep) with 8km bridge, the transition happening near a natural island. The Straight of Dover is 30km wide and has a smooth profile from shore to shore, average depth of 46m. It is a completely different engineering challenge.

Dollands Moor is quite well used to be fair. The bigger problem was forcing HS1 to have some freight capacity, rather than focusing freight onto the classic network and leaving HS1 as a pure passenger line. Investment in the pinch points of the network would have benefitted regular passengers as well.
The stark reality is that if youd based the Channel Tunnel financial viability on it subsequent actual results not only would it not have been viable it would have been firmly in the basket case category and much worse than the road crossing.
A quick glance on Google Maps in Satelite mode will show anyone the true use of Dollands Moor. Its not by any stretch of the imagination reasonably busy. Its used for stabling a few locos and other vehicles and the very very occasional train. Most of the freight loops on all the routes to London might as well be nature reserves given the amount of vegetation growing throw the tracks!

zwk500

Veteran Member
The stark reality is that if youd based the Channel Tunnel financial viability on it subsequent actual results not only would it not have been viable it would have been firmly in the basket case category and much worse than the road crossing.
Given the differences in scale of the challenges, it's fair to say that the road route would have encountered worse problems and run up far more debt than the Channel Tunnel eventually did. I've no doubt that more vehicles would be crossing, but would it be enough to cover the increased costs?
A quick glance on Google Maps in Satelite mode will show anyone the true use of Dollands Moor. Its not by any stretch of the imagination reasonably busy. Its used for stabling a few locos and other vehicles and the very very occasional train.
Google Maps merge pictures over several days, leading to interesting situations of half-disappeared trains or merged trains at other locations. Look on RTT, trains are running. It's by no means the busiest yard in the country, but it's in use and has capacity for future growth.
Most of the freight loops on all the routes to London might as well be nature reserves given the amount of vegetation growing throw the tracks!
Sadly, on this point I agree.

Either way, this is now into the speculative category and has no bearing on Eurostar's decision to not serve Ashford.

leytongabriel

TrainBike46
'Wasn't the idea of Stratford International that trains on North of London routes could stop there to also serve london? I understand why Eurostar won't stop there on a train that terminates at St Pancras, as it is so close and would introduce so many extra costs in security and border force, so people can avoid at 10 minute journey on the tube?'

10 min journey on the tube from St Pancras to Stratford?
Which tube would that be then? The 2012 Olympic Javelin?
Tfl website suggests 33 mins by tube.

There's a lot of politics here. Ebbsfleet was chosen initially over Stratford by a Conservative
government in which Angela Rumbold (then MP for Mitcham and Morden) served as a minister.
She happened to be on the board of Blue Circle Cement who happened to own the site.
When the next gov was elected, which was the 'New Labour' set, they said they would go ahead
with Stratford anyway to boost East London / Docklands regeneration.

Last edited:

Benjwri

Established Member
10 min journey on the tube from St Pancras to Stratford?
Which tube would that be then? The 2012 Olympic Javelin?
Without the quote can't be sure where the tube was mentioned, but the Southeastern 395s do still run St Pancras to Stratford, and I believe this is what that 10 minute journey time is referring to.

miklcct

On Moderation
It's pointless for Eurostar to stop at Stratford as it's too close to St Pancras, as long as it stops at Ashford.

Without a stop at Ashford, Eurostar is useless for passengers anywhere in Kent.

The International name for Stratford and Ebbsfleet should be removed as it's not cost effective to have border facilities there - Ashford is enough to cater for everyone east of London as the local service is always available to bring passengers to Ashford.

duncombec

Via London.

It's pointless for Eurostar to stop at Stratford as it's too close to St Pancras, as long as it stops at Ashford.

The International name for Stratford and Ebbsfleet should be removed as it's not cost effective to have border facilities there - Ashford is enough to cater for everyone east of London as the local service is always available to bring passengers to Ashford.
Ebbsfleet is extremely effective, being close to the M25/A2 crossroads, and thus easily accessible by car drivers from large parts of London and North Kent. It also has the rail connections to the entirety of the North Kent lines, which Ashford does not.

Ashford access is primarily via the M20, which is often affected by delays elsewhere - you know it is turned into the holding pattern for Dover port during times of severe disruption, I assume?

There is good reason why the pre-Covid pattern saw more trains stop at Ebbsfleet than Ashford!

zwk500

Veteran Member

Hardly useless. OK doubling back to St Pancras adds 1h30 + 1h check in, but then it's 2h30 to Paris and definitely beats the current lottery on queuing for the ferry and driving on the other side.
It costs £0 to keep the name as it is, but will cost 6 figures or more to remove the name. Leave it, as a warning to others about the follies of Political ambitions. Also, Ebbsfleet is far better for passengers from the edges of London/North of London/Essex etc to access than Ashford. Ashford is very inconvenient if, for example, Operation Stack/Brock is in effect.

alex397

Established Member
Via London.

Ebbsfleet is extremely effective, being close to the M25/A2 crossroads, and thus easily accessible by car drivers from large parts of London and North Kent. It also has the rail connections to the entirety of the North Kent lines, which Ashford does not.

Ashford access is primarily via the M20, which is often affected by delays elsewhere - you know it is turned into the holding pattern for Dover port during times of severe disruption, I assume?

There is good reason why the pre-Covid pattern saw more trains stop at Ebbsfleet than Ashford!
For these reasons, I can see the potential for Ebbsfleet to reopen at some point, rather than Ashford. Also, it can take pressure off the overcrowded St Pancras holding pen.
As much as I’d love Ashford’s Eurostar terminal to reopen, I really can’t see it myself. They should just say now that it will never reopen so I don’t hold on to any hope!

saillink.co.uk

An intriguing endeavour!

They are running a 9-day pilot phase service between 10-18 September:
saillink.co.uk/pilot-phase
This looks fascinating. I shall follow with interest!

paul1609

Established Member
Hardly useless. OK doubling back to St Pancras adds 1h30 + 1h check in, but then it's 2h30 to Paris and definitely beats the current lottery on queuing for the ferry and driving on the other side.
Sorry but thats wrong. Its now much easier and cheaper to drive direct via le shuttle to any of Eurostars current destinations with the possible exception of Central Paris. Le Shuttle for cars does occasionally have its moments if you choose to travel mid morning on the first weekend of the school holidays but certainly not like queing down the road like at St Pancras.
Driving in France isnt regarded as an issue for most people in Kent as its the number 1 destination for holidays etc.
From my house even Central Amsterdam is only about 5 to 6 hours including Le Shuttle at 289 miles. Its about 100 miles shorter than a trip to my brothers house in the Lakes. Paris is closer than Stoke on Trent.

Pugwash

A stop at Stratford International would encourage a lot more trips from East London and East Anglia, there are a lot more connections there than at Ebbsfleet. Yes the Javelin is quick to St Pancras, but it is an extra connection with luggage etc. Eurostar would feel a lot more accessible if there was a stop at Stratford Intl. I would certainly use it more.

Trainbike46

Established Member
A stop at Stratford International would encourage a lot more trips from East London and East Anglia, there are a lot more connections there than at Ebbsfleet. Yes the Javelin is quick to St Pancras, but it is an extra connection with luggage etc. Eurostar would feel a lot more accessible if there was a stop at Stratford Intl. I would certainly use it more.
The problem is that you would need 2 stations with (expensive) security and border facilities within 10 minutes of each other; While a stop may drive a few more passengers the number will be very small (SE offer a train connection that literally takes 7 minutes), while the high costs would just make the service less attractive, almost certainly costing you more passengers than you gain. There is simply no case for a stop there

Pugwash

The problem is that you would need 2 stations with (expensive) security and border facilities within 10 minutes of each other; While a stop may drive a few more passengers the number will be very small (SE offer a train connection that literally takes 7 minutes), while the high costs would just make the service less attractive, almost certainly costing you more passengers than you gain. There is simply no case for a stop there

The rail journey takes 7 mins, but you have to build in waiting time, transit time on lifts escalators and a back up plan in case of delays etc all with luggage and if catching an early Eurostar it certainly has just put me off using it to Rotterdam, as it is if I am connecting I may as well just go to city airport and have a quicker journey time.

A lot of travellers will be using it for business, there are huge numbers of businesses relocating to Stratford now, it seems senseless to have built a station costing billions only to penny pinch over over relatively small security costs. You would have thought the landlords at the Olympic Park would have been asked to / or offered to pay to support it given the increase in attractiveness it could provide for the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.