• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostars fleet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
I didn't notice that either before, and now its the only thing I can see :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
You never know, it is possible it'll be corrected on the real things. Wouldn't be the first time a model manufacturer made an inexplicable mistake.

GNER 91128

I've always liked the white! It's just a shame they never get washed! Although I think the 373s looked best in GNER colours. :wub:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Regarding the earlier part of the discussion on this thread, I have had the following brought to my attention that was posted on another forum in which I was quoted:

I've just had a skim through and found a rail expert on a thread discussing Eurostar sets assuring people that "until recently NOL sets were not allowed through the tunnel". That's news to me, they used to be regularly used on the Disneys from Waterloo before being leased to G.N.E.R.
I have memories of standing at the end of the platforms when one arrived on a Disney inbound and feeling my heart in my mouth as the rear power car zipped by. I really did think that it was going to end up on the domestic concourse until I realised it was a 33XX set!

Having today checked with Eurostar themselves, I received the answer that prior to their being leased by GNER, the NoLs were only ever used for testing and were never used on a revenue service.

So they could not have been running the Disney services and they have never carried a paying passenger through the Chunnel.

The point is, until the recent rule change, trains carrying passengers through the tunnel had to be a certain length; the 3C sets met that requirement - just - and the NoL sets did not. I am quite sure that had the NoL service actually started some kind of derogation would have been issued to allow them through, but things never got that far. They would, however, comply with the new rules.

Returning to the quote from the other forum, as the NoL sets are only 4 cars shorter than a 3C set, I would be worried if, as stated, the rear power car "zipped by" the end of the platform inbound...!! Pre-GNER the Eurostar used waterloo; the 3C sets reached the ends of the platforms, so something "zipping by" even if it was 4 cars shorter would be a cause for concern anyway.

Incidentally, I am told the forum the quote is from is not a public forum - membership and login is mandatory - and the quote is part of a 20 page demolition job on this forum. Now debate is one thing ( and is welcome; that is what democracy is all about ) but "talking behind the back" is quite another thing, especially when it questions the integrity of one's posting...

D365

Veteran Member
I've always liked the white! It's just a shame they never get washed! Although I think the 373s looked best in GNER colours. :wub:

Joe Public knows the white-and-yellow!

Having today checked with Eurostar themselves, I received the answer that prior to their being leased by GNER, the NoLs were only ever used for testing and were never used on a revenue service.

So they could not have been running the Disney services and they have never carried a paying passenger through the Chunnel.

The point is, until the recent rule change, trains carrying passengers through the tunnel had to be a certain length; the 3C sets met that requirement - just - and the NoL sets did not. I am quite sure that had the NoL service actually started some kind of derogation would have been issued to allow them through, but things never got that far. They would, however, comply with the new rules.

Strange because the NoLs were procured for British regional services from Chunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.