• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurovision - UK gets 0 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Why would one revel in this? Maybe not care so much, but 'revel'? Why?? :lol:
I just think it’s a thing many Brits enjoy. Like we where never really considered ourselves in the European club & do things our way. Every year the cry’s of ‘they hate us’ after we scrape the bottom of this musical extravaganzas barrel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

J-2739

Established Member
I just think it’s a thing many Brits enjoy. Like we where never really considered ourselves in the European club & do things our way. Every year the cry’s of ‘they hate us’ after we scrape the bottom of this musical extravaganzas barrel.
Oh yes, I get what you are saying! I don't follow Eurovision, but I see this loss as a contrast to our world-renowned music industry, and therefore a humbling process!

dgl

Established Member
Belgium's entry for the 1980 ESC, Telex performing Euro-vision, certinaly wanted to lose, and when they came 2nd from last were not best pleased. Their song even parodied the contest, and the later album version was strange and called n(e)urovosion!

Euro-Vision - Wikipedia

At the close of voting, it had received 14 points, placing 17th in a field of 19. The band were moderately pleased with the outcome of the Contest, but for a somewhat unusual reason. At the time lead singer Michel Moers was quoted as saying: "We had hoped to finish last, but Portugal decided otherwise. We got ten points from them and finished on the 19th [sic] spot"

MP33

As regards the winner hosting the next contest. When Abba won, the contest was held in Brighton. It was switched to the UK due to Luxembourgh having won it a few times in the preceeding years being nearly bankrupted.

Ediswan

Established Member
Because they are part of the european broadcasting union as google easily explained.
Australia is a special case. Australia is an associate member of the EBU, which would not normally allow access to Eurovision events.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Aren’t we locked into the whole Eurovision network thing (eg the news and programme distribution, not the actual contest) for quite a lengthy period, but the truth is there’s probably no point in it anymore?

birchesgreen

Established Member
For all the money it is supposed to cost it actually saves the BBC money for those 5 hours once a year compared to what they might show otherwise.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Frankly, given the usual Saturday night output these days, Eurovision would probably still be a bargain even if we never competed in it again !

biko

I agree with those who said the UK song was too middle of the road. After seeing all performances, other songs did stand out and I had forgotten the UK song already. The UK needs to change the type of songs that is sent. The Netherlands used to have the same problem with sending strange or uninteresting songs, but a few years a change was made by sending real pop stars who just made a good song. And see what's happened in 2019: we won for the first time in many years.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I agree with those who said the UK song was too middle of the road. After seeing all performances, other songs did stand out and I had forgotten the UK song already. The UK needs to change the type of songs that is sent. The Netherlands used to have the same problem with sending strange or uninteresting songs, but a few years a change was made by sending real pop stars who just made a good song. And see what's happened in 2019: we won for the first time in many years.

I'd say it wasn't in the same league as Middle of the Road whose hits included the excellently catchy 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep' and 'Soley Soley'.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The reality is that it's a weak song.

They've been hyping it on Radio 2 for weeks and it was clear it wasn't going to go anywhere. I've been told by friends who follow the contest that it was a good crop of songs competing this year as well.

Personally I think that the UK should voluntarily go into the qualifying rounds so that poor songs are weeded out before the main event.
We always enter crappy songs performed by complete non-entities, it's almost a tradition. Pick any UK entry over the last 20 years, I'd rather ride a Pacer with severe wheelflats along unmaintained track, while Gordon Ramsay shouts obscenities at me while he fills my undercrackers with sliced Scotch Bonnet peppers for three days, than listen to the song once.

There definitely is a political aspect to the voting, but even if the rest of Europe loved us we still wouldn't win with the utter garbage (as opposed to Garbage, who might have a chance of winning despite being mostly American ;) ) we enter. It's no coincidence that the last time we won was when we entered an okay song by a relatively established act (Katrina and the Waves).

At least this year the mic wasn't robbed by a protester!!!

When was it robbed by a protester?
More to the point, how can an inanimate object be a victim of property crime? [/pedant]

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
The British entries can generally be summed up in 3 words, safe, bland and forgettable. It's notable that the majority of the winners the past couple of decades have been quirky or off the wall in some way, not necessarily good songs but at least memorable.

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
Frankly, given the usual Saturday night output these days, Eurovision would probably still be a bargain even if we never competed in it again !
But Casualty was cancelled! (well, postponed).

Class465pacer

The voting in the Eurovision Song Contest is political, and has been for years.

I cannot help but think that Brexit has something to do with us getting "Nul Points" this year.

It is worth noting that the last time the UK won the Eurovision Song Contest, in 1997, was only a few days after Tony Blair won the general election, thus bringing about a more EU friendly government instead of those pesky Tories. (from the EU point of view)
We also finished with nul points in 2003 with that same government, although maybe the Iraq War soured things.

geoffk

Established Member
He should have robbed our singer's mic - at least we wouldn't hear him missing the notes :D
"stolen" please, not robbed. You rob a bank or an old lady (well YOU don't, but you know what I mean).

Scotrail314209

Established Member
We are aware of the speculation surrounding the video clip of the Italian winners of the Eurovision Song Contest in the Green Room last night. The band have strongly refuted the allegations of drug use and the singer in question will take a voluntary drug test after arriving home. This was requested by them last night but could not be immediately organized by the EBU. The band, their management and head of delegation have informed us that no drugs were present in the Green Room and explained that a glass was broken at their table and it was being cleared by the singer. The EBU can confirm broken glass was found after an on site check. We are still looking at footage carefully and will update with further information in due course.

A video has surfaced of Italy's lead singer acting suspiciously in the green room.

Altrincham

Spanning a number of years now, the UK entry has been something that sounds like it wouldn’t go amiss on X-Factor (or similar type of TV singing show). I can’t help but feel that the UK Eurovision song entries in the 21st century have had a sound that’s influenced by music from the US, and this has had some slight impact on poor scores (along with other reasons for not scoring well). “Bland” is probably the best way to encapsulate the UK entries.

As I understand it, a number of countries’ entrants receive quite a bit of airplay and exposure, not just within their own country but also in neighbouring countries too on the continent. This seems to build up popularity of songs. With the UK, it seems like the only time the entrant is heard by being plugged on Radio 2 in the months leading up to the contest. I don’t even think the commercial channels in this country have played it.

There’s definitely a Eurovision sound which the UK cannot tune into.

MotCO

Established Member
As I understand it, a number of countries’ entrants receive quite a bit of airplay and exposure, not just within their own country but also in neighbouring countries too on the continent. This seems to build up popularity of songs. With the UK, it seems like the only time the entrant is heard by being plugged on Radio 2 in the months leading up to the contest. I don’t even think the commercial channels in this country have played it.

I seem to recall that in recent years, our chosen artiste did go on a 'charm offensive' in Europe prior to the final, but I can't remember what impact it had.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yet France, whom obviously everyone likes and have no reputation for arrogance at all, came second?

It tends to be only us* and half of Belgium that don’t like France.

*us being a proportion of the Great British Public. Personally I love the place.

Bevan Price

Established Member
The British entries can generally be summed up in 3 words, safe, bland and forgettable. It's notable that the majority of the winners the past couple of decades have been quirky or off the wall in some way, not necessarily good songs but at least memorable.
That is a rather generous comment. In my opinion, our song was boring, and, sadly, not performed very well on the night. The trouble is that the songs are chosen by the same types of so-called experts who decide play lists on pop radio, and who mostly cannot think beyond what they (or the music industry) have decreed is currently "trendy / fashionable". Anything outside that category has near zero chance of being chosen, or even being played on the radio.

Even when the British TV audience chose the song, they were limited to what the "experts" had allowed onto the short list.
And singers / bands with real talent, or originality, are unwilling to damage their reputations to participate, except the occasional few who are often somewhat past their sell-by date (e.g. Engelbert H.). So, I fear there is little chance of getting someone like Adele, Muse, Coldplay, etc. to produce a song for European Song Contest.

And the solution ?? I don't know. But I think we need some way to improve the way songs are chosen.

Scotrail12

The UK just doesn't put any effort into finding decent singers for it and I find it insulting that as licence fee payers, the public have no say in who gets selected any more. The BBC just send out any mediocre singer now because they probably don't want to win and see it as a joke.

With all due respect to James Newman, he had 0 chance at winning because the song had no impact nor did the performance aspect, it was all just so plain. Even Germany's number was better because the singer had tons of personality to make up for a lacklustre (and that's putting it nicely!) song.

Sweden is always the pinnacle of Eurovision to me (though can't actually recall yesterday's one) - can you honestly imagine the BBC picking a song of the level of Måns Zelmerlöw's "Heroes" or Loreen's "Euphoria"? Didn't think so.

Politics may have played some part in it IMO but not fully. 0 points in total was frankly humiliating but it wasn't just a case of "Europe hates the UK and would never vote for them".

Status
Not open for further replies.