• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurovision - UK gets 0 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
On Mock the Week tonight Dara O'Briain joked that we could have got the same score in Eurovision by getting Martin Bashir to sing Candle in the Wind for us (ouch).

johncrossley

Established Member
These include (in alphabetical order) Belarus, Israel, Russia, Turkey and the UK.

Israel won it only three years ago! Russia has had the most top 5 finishes this century and won it in 2008.

The Netherlands, a model European country, before their recent improved form, failed to reach the final in more consecutive years than any other country. This year they managed to get 0 points from the public vote despite being the hosts.

domcoop7

The idea it's political is laughable. Likewise with the "voting blocs" which is another accusation levelled, which is also false since other than Sweden (twice) and Denmark (once), none of the winners in the last 12 years have been from voting blocs, and Sweden's two wins were well deserved.

One of the best performing countries (Russia) has actually invaded another participant within the last 10 years! (And sent it's agents to assassinate people in other participant's territories). And Ukraine still gave Russia 4 points in the televote, and Russia still gave Ukraine 7 this year. Indeed in 2016 (only two years after Russia annexed Crimea), Ukraine's 12 points went to Russia, and Russia gave ten points to Ukraine - a song literally calling talking about Russians overrunning Ukraine and committing genocide!

As for the UK's entries, decent songs (in my view) in the last 10 or so year include the band Blue in 2011, Molly with "Children of the Universe" in 2014 and Lucie Jones in 2017. Last year's entry (cancelled due to Covid) wasn't too bad either to be fair. And surprise those good-ish songs got 11th, 17th and 15th place respectively. The latter two could and should have got better, but one thing the UK completely misses - even if it sends a half-decent song - is the staging. We generally default to singer stood on her / his own singing. And not having the semi-final does seem to harm the UK's entry's and mean an OK-ish song is just not good enough unless it completely stands out, which it never does.

And on other years, when we send in absolute rubbish, surprise surprise, we come in the bottom three. Which is well deserved.

I'm quite a Eurovision fan, and although I know the song that James Newman for the UK was going to sing last year, I genuinely can't remember how his song from last week sounds as I type this. It was totally forgettable. Not many people in the UK would choose to listen to it, so why on earth would anyone expect anybody in Europe would vote for it?

Typhoon

Established Member
Interesting analysis on Radio 4s 'More or Less' (16:30, 28/05), apparently over a period of years, 16 countries have performed worse than the UK (including Spain and Ireland). Also the UK chose a song in a major key, the ten highest placed songs were all in a minor key (and only 1 of the last 4).

I would add that the UK song was dull. My father got annoyed in the late '60s when we started using 'pop singers' instead of his MoR favourites. He was in his late 40s, I am now in my early 70s, I should be finding it edgy at least.

I'm quite a Eurovision fan, and although I know the song that James Newman for the UK was going to sing last year, I genuinely can't remember how his song from last week sounds as I type this. It was totally forgettable. Not many people in the UK would choose to listen to it, so why on earth would anyone expect anybody in Europe would vote for it?
Quite, as will be this years in a couple of months (I've already forgotten it, all I can remember is that coat/ jacket thing). I looked at the 10 entries from 1967 onwards, I can remember 9!

While I am commenting, they need to do something about the presentation team. Nothing against any of them (well maybe one) but together they are far too safe - I wouldn't tune in, there needs to be someone to give it bite. Their fees must be pretty high. Rylan Clark-Neal is in danger of over-exposure, Scott Mills can't be that far from a permanent Radio Quiet gig, and I assume Amanda Holden does have a skill (other than making money), it certainly isn't in languages.

MoR = Middle of the Road

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I can't remember what the proposed song for last year was, but was there a reason why we changed it ?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I can't remember what the proposed song for last year was, but was there a reason why we changed it ?

Eurovision songs need to be written within a set amount of months for the contest. All of the previous years songs were null and void as they were technically written for the previous edition. It's why some countries chose to also change their artist.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Eurovision songs need to be written within a set amount of months for the contest. All of the previous years songs were null and void as they were technically written for the previous edition. It's why some countries chose to also change their artist.

Ah thanks, that's interesting. I didn't know that.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
While I am commenting, they need to do something about the presentation team. Nothing against any of them (well maybe one) but together they are far too safe - I wouldn't tune in, there needs to be someone to give it bite. Their fees must be pretty high. Rylan Clark-Neal is in danger of over-exposure, Scott Mills can't be that far from a permanent Radio Quiet gig, and I assume Amanda Holden does have a skill (other than making money), it certainly isn't in languages.
I was undecided about whether to watch the TV on mute and listen on Radio 2, or just listen to the TV commentary. I don't mind Graham Norton, but none of the presenters have the Wogan* magic. If I could resurrect old Terry just for one day a year it would be for Eurovision.

* How many times do I have to tell Autocorrect that I didn't mean Wigan? :)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I was undecided about whether to watch the TV on mute and listen on Radio 2, or just listen to the TV commentary. I don't mind Graham Norton, but none of the presenters have the Wogan* magic. If I could resurrect old Terry just for one day a year it would be for Eurovision.

* How many times do I have to tell Autocorrect that I didn't mean Wigan? :)

Graham Norton seems to be much more subdued than Terry Wogan. He's still humorous, but Terry really didn't hold back on making a jab at the other countries songs.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I haven't watched it for years, as I really don't have any interest in it.

However, I can't resist saying that apparently there's a petition going around "demanding" that Wales (on it's own) enters a song in the competition next year. I'm not really sure what the reason is, but it's safe to say that I haven't signed the petition!

Typhoon

Established Member
I haven't watched it for years, as I really don't have any interest in it.

However, I can't resist saying that apparently there's a petition going around "demanding" that Wales (on it's own) enters a song in the competition next year. I'm not really sure what the reason is, but it's safe to say that I haven't signed the petition!
Sounds like a good idea. If Wales entered and got a better score than the UK, it might lull those in charge out of their complacency.

Gloster

Established Member
Could Wales enter its own song? I think that the Eurovision Song Contest is a child of the European Broadcasting Union and that it is one song per member. I presume that BBC Wales gets its membership through the main BBC. It would have to be supported by S4C or a similar organisation, but are they a full member? And could they afford it if they won and had to host the next competition, which I think is a condition of entry.

MotCO

Established Member
Could Wales enter its own song? I think that the Eurovision Song Contest is a child of the European Broadcasting Union and that it is one song per member. I presume that BBC Wales gets its membership through the main BBC. It would have to be supported by S4C or a similar organisation, but are they a full member? And could they afford it if they won and had to host the next competition, which I think is a condition of entry.

I'm surprised Scotland is not clamouring to enter its own song as well - but first it would have to set up the Sturgeon Scottish Broadcasting Corporation.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There's no reason why Scotland and Wales can't have their own entries - they already do in Eurovision Choir which is also organised by the European Broadcasting Union. I believe the stumbling block for the song contest is the BBC.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Could we have a rota between the home countries to put forward the entry for each year !

Scotrail314209

Established Member
That might also work !

I can practically guarantee it'd work in our favour.

There are so many artists who get rejected, most of whom are actually as good as or as better than chart topping artists, who would jump at the chance of representing their country at Eurovision.

MotCO

Established Member
Or we should start scouting for good, obscure artists instead of relying on X Factor rejects.

Can't the winner's prize of Britain's Got Talent to be the Eurovision entrant (assuming it is a singing act! I know that it is an ITV programme as well, but when things are desparate...)

Typhoon

Established Member
Or we should start scouting for good, obscure artists instead of relying on X Factor rejects.
I can't guarantee it is everywhere but BBC local radio stations in the south east and (from a quick look at the schedules, other parts of the country) have a programme - BBC Music Introducing on a Saturday night from 20:00. Has anyone even tried to find whether anyone on there is suitable? Some of the stuff I have heard isn't bad. They'll have the tapes, someone would have listened. Maybe nothing of any use. There is every chance that this would be their one crack at fame, they will get more publicity than they would do performing at the Dog and Duck so being on the programme will count even if the finish 23rd, and some people listening might well download some of their music. It can't be any worse ...

Can't the winner's prize of Britain's Got Talent to be the Eurovision entrant (assuming it is a singing act! I know that it is an ITV programme as well, but when things are desparate...)
I might have got this wrong because I've never seen it but isn't that the one that is for all types of entertainment (didn't a dog act win once - now that's an idea, a singing dog). Also I think X-Factor, the singing one, concentrates on the singer not the song, so Alexandra Burke won by massacring Hallelujah. We want a decent song first.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
They seem to be picking people from X Factor or other singing shows.

Michael Rice won All Together Now and represented in 2019, which was also a BBC show I believe.

I think we need to do something different, everyone is pegging a group of Drag Queens to represent next year (I wouldn’t complain!)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm surprised Scotland is not clamouring to enter its own song as well - but first it would have to set up the Sturgeon Scottish Broadcasting Corporation.

The Proclaimers are busy every May for the foreeeable future.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If anyone remembers the sitcom from the 1990s: "The High Life" starring Alan Cumming, I believe they did an episode where Scotland entered a Eurovision-equivalent contest- with the cabin crew of "Air Scotia" being chosen to perform.

southern442

Established Member
Apologies if something like this has been mentioned before, but I feel as though something I recently read may go part of the way to explain why we do so poorly.
Essentially it was a Danish guy who says that the UK's music can be heard all over the charts in Europe. We have a very far-reaching musical influence that other countries do not, and so everyone in Europe knows that the UK is capable of producing some pretty damn good pop tunes. And yet every year we send some middle-of-the-road nobody who has very little charisma or flair, accompanied with a painfully bland and mediocre song. What we need is the good quality pop that the whole western world is used to hearing from the UK, preferably in my opinion with a little touch of Eurovision zaniness.

Politics also plays a part, but only to an extent. We finished last this year, I know that the UK has done some pretty awful things, and Europe is quite mad at us right now, but us getting zero when Israel gets 93 days after their latest round of attacks on Palestine suggests that there is at least a little bit of wriggle room for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.