• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston Escalators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Is it me or are the Euston Escalators up to the nationall rail station always broken. They were all only just replaced 1 to 2 years ago and now 2 of them are broken again.

Just wondering if there is any timetframe on them being fixed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm fairly certain they are indeed NR's responsibility/asset rather than LU - probably dating from back when the taxi rank was under the station, but I think the LU station boundary isn't until you turn right at the bottom of the escalator.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes they belong to Network Rail as they are outside the LU station.

Taunton

Established Member
Are they actually broken, or just roped off. My understanding from a discussion at the station is that due to overcrowding issues down in the confined Euston Underground ticket hall, they only run one escalator downwards, so the queue from a heavily loaded main line arrival, maybe two in close sequence, is formed on the surface, to get on the one downwards escalator, rather than causing crowd difficulties further down.

duncanp

Established Member
Are there any plans to expand Euston tube station in advance of HS2 being completed?

Overcrowding is only going to get worse if nothing is done.

100andthirty

Are they actually broken, or just roped off. My understanding from a discussion at the station is that due to overcrowding issues down in the confined Euston Underground ticket hall, they only run one escalator downwards, so the queue from a heavily loaded main line arrival, maybe two in close sequence, is formed on the surface, to get on the one downwards escalator, rather than causing crowd difficulties further down.
When I went through Euston on Monday, the outer two escalators were out of action. Entry was via the staircase next to the lifts, exit via the sole working escalator....the middle one. NR security staff were directing customers.

duncanp

Established Member
Was planned for link to Euston Square:

It is all very well having a link to Euston Square, which is long overdue.

But the Gordon Street entrance isn't going to be of much help to people arriving off National Rail services, either from the existing West Coast Main Line or HS2, because that would require them to cross the busy Euston Road.

Mind you, I wouldn't put it past London Underground to make the existing entrance to Euston tube station from the National Rail station exit only, and make everyone who wants to enter the tube at Euston use the Gordon Street entrance. After all, at Kings Cross and Victoria they make anyone who wants the Victoria line walk a very long way.

You say WAS planned for a link to Euston Square. I hope expansion of Euston tube station isn't cancelled because otherwise any gain in journey time delivered by HS2 will be offset by congestion and delays for people in their onward journey once they arrive at Euston

Taunton

Established Member
You say WAS planned for a link to Euston Square. I hope expansion of Euston tube station isn't cancelled because otherwise any gain in journey time delivered by HS2 will be offset by congestion and delays for people in their onward journey once they arrive at Euston
That would be par for the course. In the 2000s at Waterloo Eurostar the 15 minute journey time gain from opening the first stage of HS1 through Fawkham was cancelled out almost the same day by a 15 minute increase in required check in time.

Mikey C

Established Member
It was a curious decision when they rebuilt Euston (both above and below ground) in the 60s to have only one entrance to the Underground station, via the BR concourse, and close down the entrances outside. No other major London terminus has this inflexible arrangement, surely it wouldn't have been hard to have provided be an exit leading from the Underground ticket office area towards the Euston Road as well?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
surely it wouldn't have been hard to have provided be an exit leading from the Underground ticket office area towards the Euston Road as well?

It would have involved a lot of tunnelling, especially due to the subterranean taxi rank. The "old" entrance to Euston was on the corner of Drummond Street, so there wasn't scope to reuse that.

The stairs by Caffè Nero mean you don't need to go on to the concourse.

AndrewE

Established Member
It was a curious decision when they rebuilt Euston (both above and below ground) in the 60s to have only one entrance to the Underground station, via the BR concourse, and close down the entrances outside. No other major London terminus has this inflexible arrangement, surely it wouldn't have been hard to have provided be an exit leading from the Underground ticket office area towards the Euston Road as well?
Can't you go both from the concourse down the escalators and via a ramp from the suburban platforms direct to the LUL booking hall? I wasn't aware that was an alteration after the new station was built...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can't you go both from the concourse down the escalators and via a ramp from the suburban platforms direct to the LUL booking hall? I wasn't aware that was an alteration after the new station was built...
This is correct; there is also a pair of lifts and a staircase that goes down from the side of the booking office (by Sainsbury’s Local) to the same level as the LU ticket hall (this is within the NR part of the station). This also has an intermediate level at the level of the former under ground taxi rank.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Are there any plans to expand Euston tube station in advance of HS2 being completed?

Overcrowding is only going to get worse if nothing is done.

Yes it is being built now - hence the giant hole outside the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.