• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston to London Bridge 48 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK Tom

Established Member
I've got an interview in New Cross and National Rail Enquiries seems to think the tube takes 48 minutes to go from Euston to London Bridge. Surely a few stops on one line would only need 15-20 at most? Do I really need to get to Euston an hour and a half before I'm due in New Cross or is this some kind of website glitch?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
The cross-London transfers are supposed to be the total time from stepping off the train at Euston to stepping on the train at London Bridge, including the walking between mainline and tube platforms at those stations.

(Even so, I still think they're too generous, especially for someone who knows the stations.)

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
It is not just departure from Euston station platform to arrival at London Bridge platform.
Allowances are made for the a slow walking person to undertake-
The time from ground level at Euston, down stairs, purchase ticket, through ticket barrier, down more stairs/escalators,through subways, waiting for the train, the train journey, back up escalators, stairs and subways, through ticket barrier and back to ground level. It may not take 48 minutes but could be longer than the 15-20 mins you suggest.
If you are attending an interview then it is better to be early than late which could be a black mark to start with.
Suggest get the underground to London Bridge and arrive early and walk around London Bridge NR station to look at the rebuilding work. At

eastwestdivide

Established Member
You could even walk Euston to Charing Cross (30 mins or less) and get a New Cross train from there. Bit of exercise to get you in shape for the interview?

joeykins82

NRE leaves a lot of extra time for London transfers; part of me wonders if this is to ensure that in the event of a delay on the tube people still have a reasonable chance of going the long way round to make a connection where they have an advance purchase fare. There is a tick box on Journey Planner to allow less time for London transfers.

carriageline

Established Member
It gives you something like 40 minutes to get from St Pancras to Kings Cross, which could be walked in 2 minutes as they are next to each other lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle

Established Member
Also bear in mind that the figure it quotes is up to the departure of the train. Doesn't really mater in your case since trains from LBG to NWX are so frequent, but imagine if you were heading for a train that's only every hour, you might find that it comes up with a figure like 90 minutes: that's 40 for the transfer and 50 while you wait for the next train.

(It's even more incongruous when it does the same thing to walking interchanges, such as between New Street and Moor Street in Birmingham which normally takes less than 10 minutes.)

MK Tom

Established Member
OK thanks everyone. My interview is at 11.20 and I'm just wondering if it's safe for me to get the 09.19 Virgin service from MKC rather than paying more for the earlier LM services. (no LM only anytime fares at that time)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Hmm. 48 mins is pushing it to my mind. I once tried to do Vauxhall - St Pancreas in similar time and ended up missing my train due to delays on the Victoria line. If it‘s for anything important, I‘d give myself an hour and twenty to be on the safe side. Maybe I‘m cautious.

JamesRowden

Established Member
OK thanks everyone. My interview is at 11.20 and I'm just wondering if it's safe for me to get the 09.19 Virgin service from MKC rather than paying more for the earlier LM services. (no LM only anytime fares at that time)

According to Traveline, catching the 9:19 Virgin service should result in the following journey:

9:19 Milton Keynes Central Rail Station
London Euston Rail Station 9:54

10:01 Euston Underground Station
London Bridge Underground Station 10:12

10:24 London Bridge Rail Station
New Cross Rail Station 10:29

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It gives you something like 40 minutes to get from St Pancras to Kings Cross, which could be walked in 2 minutes as they are next to each other lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try doing that from Platform 0 at Kings Cross to Thameslink platforms at St Pancras...

Admittedly it doesn't often take 40 but if you do it at peak time and hit queues of people trying to get through the gates and get bad timings with the road crossing it can easily take 10.

motorman

Over many years I have always allowed an average time of 2 mins per station. Excepting delays this has always proved to be fairly accurate. I always allow more time if an urgent appointment or it parramount not too miss a main line train, such as the last one home!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've got an interview in New Cross and National Rail Enquiries seems to think the tube takes 48 minutes to go from Euston to London Bridge. Surely a few stops on one line would only need 15-20 at most? Do I really need to get to Euston an hour and a half before I'm due in New Cross or is this some kind of website glitch?
You may be interested in my response to a similar query yesterday

The Northern line runs approximately every 3-4 minutes.

If you want to see the actual running times and booked departure times (in reality the controllers will want to even out the service, whatever happens on the day) use the TfL journey planner.

There are loads of trains from Euston to Charing Cross or London Bridge, and in either case you have loads of time to cross London.

The National Rail website does not attempt to show the times of the Northern line services, and is merely showing the time allowed to make the connection (which consists of a huge amount of connection time at both stations, plus the LU running time!)

The cross-London connection allowances consist of the full connection allowance at each termini combined, plus the actual LU running times. This cropped up in another thread last week, and the general consensus was that providing trains are on time, the allowances are far in excess of what is actually required by most people.

MK Tom

Established Member
So basically, assuming the 09.19 isn't massively delayed, I should be absolutely fine with that. The interview is smack-bang next to both New Cross stations so no more than five mins walking time really.

Rather annoying that LM don't let you use LM-only tickets, even anytime ones, during the AM peak.

CatfordCat

The parameters of the system may have changed in the last couple of years since I was involved in such things, but the TfL journey planner (the same data feeds Traveline SE) has many bus and underground services in the data on the basis of service frequency, rather than showing a specific timetabled journey.

It works on the assumption that you'll just miss a train / bus, so the journey time it gives you will be (service frequency + average journey time) for each leg of the journey.

Presumably on the basis it's best to give passengers a journey they might arrive 'early' on rather than have a fair chunk of passengers complaining they arrived late.

Up to you really how much 'recovery time' you allow for a job interview. I tend to allow sufficient time for at least one level of cock-up on the transport front (e.g. a cancelled train) and (assuming it's not just down the road) aim to get to the location early enough to have a cup of tea somewhere nearby before the interview (the Sainsburys adjacent to New Cross Gate station - incidentally on the site of the former LBSCR loco depot / works - includes a cafe) and to make sure I can find the place I'm going and the right entrance etc (admittedly 'street view' means this can be done in advance.)

Incidentally, I've just tried the TfL journey planner and it says 30 minutes Euston - New Cross Gate and 30-32 minutes Euston - New Cross.

Hope all goes well.

bicbasher

Established Member
You could even walk Euston to Charing Cross (30 mins or less) and get a New Cross train from there. Bit of exercise to get you in shape for the interview?

All New Cross services start from Cannon Street (except evenings and Sundays) so would require a change at London Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.