• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Everyone's Favourite Railway Branch Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Does Oban, Mallaig, Kyle or Thurso/Wick count?

If not, Sudbury (Sfk) is nice to Chappel, as is Cromer, Looe (easily the best) and Gunnislake over the Calstock Viaduct :D

First class

Established Member
One of my favourites is Llandudno - Blaenau Ffest.

The Helsby-Ellesmere Port branch also is one of my favourites, but for more personal reasons rather than the line itself. :(

mumrar

Established Member
My favourite is th Severn Valley Railway, no-one said mainline only. Also love the Fort William-Mallaig branch and then Barnt Green-Redditch, mainly out of personal pride or something.

Wyvern

Established Member
Ambergate to Matlock.

Got to be one of the most scenic in the Midlands.

Lots of history too. You can stand on Cromford station and imagine it in mainline days with the Palatine blasting out of Willersley Tunnel

Kernowfem

Ambergate to Matlock.

Got to be one of the most scenic in the Midlands.

Lots of history too. You can stand on Cromford station and imagine it in mainline days with the Palatine blasting out of Willersley Tunnel

Indeed Wyvern, Cromford is a lovely station. And its nice to see the waiting room has now been restored to its former glory.

I also particularly enjoy the Sheringham to Holt line. Around kelling heath is beautiful....and of course even better when travelling behind a 'Kettle'

Aictos

Established Member
For me, it has got to be the Far North lines - well worth it, :)

attics26

Bishop Auckland branch - the unspeakable beauty of Newton Aycliffe and Shildon from the comfort of a 142 surely cannot be bettered.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Whitby Line would be my favourite, but the Bishop line is quite nice in places as well.

At_traction

DLR branches to the Isle of Dogs and KGV. Elevated views of solid techno-urbanism (including stations). 8-)

PAD to HTR, industrial backyards and graffiti - then complete darkness. :p

mrcheek

Established Member
Is Inverness to Kyle a branch line?

If not, Ill go for Darlington to Saltburn. Awesome industrial scenery, ending in a delightful seaside town.

linesider

Whitby is my favourite branch line.Spent a week in a holiday cottage next to Silecroft station recently and that line is very scenic in places,with the Irish sea on one side and the Lakeland hills on the other.

D6975

Established Member
St Ives - for the views of Carbis Bay etc

The Kyle Line is too long to be considered a branch surely?

Southminster - except after dark during school holidays. Rest of the time, it still has the feel of an old-fashioned branch. And pleasant river/country views.

Romford - Upminster. Again, not after dark or without a big stick, but still quite pleasant.

I do need to get out more tho.

PR1Berske

Established Member
DLR branches to the Isle of Dogs and KGV. Elevated views of solid techno-urbanism (including stations). 8-)

PAD to HTR, industrial backyards and graffiti - then complete darkness. :p

Heheh, in that case then, can I nominate Wigan Wallgate to Burscough Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.