• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Lurcheroo

That's a pretty long standing train crew rumour with very little substance! From what I understand with 5 engines they drink fuel even more than a 67, have a lower capacity and lose the fully equipped kitchen.
I think I would rather see the loco-hauled sets remain over having something like the super voyager's replace them.

Crews either love them or hate them, there seems very few in between! As time goes on and everyone gets more work on them the latter camp gets smaller but it's still there.

For the love or hate divide for drivers that can vary on the day depending on which end you're driving from! Especially now the Aircon in the DVT seems to be working better.
Sorry, probably should have been more specific, when i said "crews" i was totally referring to the conductors I speak to in the mess rooms and work whatsapp chats.
Drivers certainly seem to be more on the fence, some love, some hate. some really seem to have driving from the 67, noise, smell and being isolated from the actual train all seem to be common complaints. Also with the breaks being a bit different to operate I think in the early days some seemed to complain about that a bit but I dont hear much about it now.

The original (and since deleted from the internet) plans showed a transition to 68s in 2027.
I've never seen that plan so it's interesting that it was, at one stage, on the cards. Suppose we will have to wait and see what happens.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
It'll certainly be interesting what happens by 2027.

Asked around with some people who would know and for a variety of reasons, required mods, training and leases the 68s are as it stands ruled out.

The decision to improve loco availability has been taken that one extra 67 Will be modified, taking the TfW pool to 12.
Thanks for checking. I've said it before but once of the biggest areas where TfW have improved over ATW is that thet are at least prepared to look at changes, and put them in place if practicable. Like you say, 2027 will be very interesting
Sorry, probably should have been more specific, when i said "crews" i was totally referring to the conductors I speak to in the mess rooms and work whatsapp chats.
Drivers certainly seem to be more on the fence, some love, some hate. some really seem to have driving from the 67, noise, smell and being isolated from the actual train all seem to be common complaints. Also with the breaks being a bit different to operate I think in the early days some seemed to complain about that a bit but I dont hear much about it now.
The brakes definitely take a bit of getting used to, 67 end especially. And with so many short platforms on the Marches there's a lot of precision stopping involved which they're not really that suitable for. Hopefully the full 2tph timetable on the Marches with the extra Liverpool - Cardiff services will see the MKIVs only used on limited stop services.
I've never seen that plan so it's interesting that it was, at one stage, on the cards. Suppose we will have to wait and see what happens.
It was buried very deep in the original plans released when Keolis/Amey were awarded the franchise. I've not been able to find it since.

St. Paddy

The latest edition of Today’s Railways UK is reporting that 10307 and 12229 have moved from Landore to Sims Newport for scrap.
Also, 82206 owned by TFW has been disposed of from Wabtec Doncaster to Newport.
Finally, TFW owned 12526 has moved from Wabtec Doncaster to Landore, reason not stated.

sd0733

Established Member
The latest edition of Today’s Railways UK is reporting that 10307 and 12229 have moved from Landore to Sims Newport for scrap.
Also, 82206 owned by TFW has been disposed of from Wabtec Doncaster to Newport.
Finally, TFW owned 12526 has moved from Wabtec Doncaster to Landore, reason not stated.
82206 was also at Landore before being dispatched to Newport. Those 3 that have gone for scrap were the coaches that were only ever bought for spare parts.

aar0

After this weeks line maintenance, have the 67s and MkIVs returned to service successfully? I’m also hoping the 0530 from Swansea is now a 67 and not a Sprinter…

sd0733

Established Member
After this weeks line maintenance, have the 67s and MkIVs returned to service successfully? I’m also hoping the 0530 from Swansea is now a 67 and not a Sprinter…
None are planned to run until it fully reopens on the 29th.

sd0733

Established Member
Oh bugger. I’m booked on Tuesday night’s service to Swansea… I thought the works finished on Thursday
There's through services but reduced as it's still single line through Dinmore until 29th so it'll run but be booked a unit, looks to be a 158 booked on the 16:30

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
The single line working requires a back shunt over the trailing crossover at Moreton, so if the loco ran the driver would have to walk down the cess to change ends twice. Not ideal.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The single line working requires a back shunt over the trailing crossover at Moreton, so if the loco ran the driver would have to walk down the cess to change ends twice. Not ideal.

Indeed, and it didn't look much fun for the NR guys getting off the 153 I had this morning, when they got out just before Leominster it looked like a right ol' mission to get to track level! I sure didn't envy them whatsoever, and in the worsening weather we've had here today it would be a very unpleasant job!

craigybagel

Established Member
Indeed, and it didn't look much fun for the NR guys getting off the 153 I had this morning, when they got out just before Leominster it looked like a right ol' mission to get to track level! I sure didn't envy them whatsoever, and in the worsening weather we've had here today it would be a very unpleasant job!
153s are very awkward to climb on and off of alright! Not pleasant at any time but especially not on a day like today.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No announcements on either service I did yesterday. I think it surprised some people when we reversed at Moreton-on-Lugg to then carry on slowly to Leominster!

sd0733

Established Member
3 MK4 Sets are planned to re-enter service tomorrow after the end of the Dinmore work.

67008+HD02 should start on 06:27 Manchester to Cardiff
67010+HD05 starts 04:54 Crewe to Cardiff
67014+HD06 starts 05:33 Holyhead to Cardiff

Of the other sets
HD01 is at Holyhead with no loco, 67012 should head down so it can enter service on Monday.
HD03 I'd still at Landore as a 5 car.
HD04 is waiting for a slot on the wheel lathe
HD07 is undergoing works at Canton and should enter service on Saturday.

Welshguy1048

Morning

What happened with 67014 this morning?

The 05.33 from Holyhead got cancelled between there and Chester - due to a problem with the traction equipment......

Dave

sd0733

Established Member
Morning

What happened with 67014 this morning?

The 05.33 from Holyhead got cancelled between there and Chester - due to a problem with the traction equipment......

Dave
Not totally sure, it was cancelled about 01:30, before preps etc have begun.
Both 67013 and 67014 which are at Holyhead are needed to go to Crewe ETD for repairs so will head up light engine at some point so obviously something wrong.
Not the greatest start back!
It was replaced by a 197 but that was failed too.

Welshguy1048

Not totally sure, it was cancelled about 01:30, before preps etc have begun.
Both 67013 and 67014 which are at Holyhead are needed to go to Crewe ETD for repairs so will head up light engine at some point so obviously something wrong.
Not the greatest start back!
It was replaced by a 197 but that was failed too.
Thanks for the update sd

Dave

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Credit to the random guy on a Facebook group that I swiped this from, but great that TfW have restored the headrests (their own version) on the GC interior MK4 first class seats. Looks much smarter and less bare/tatty - I hope they’ve done the same to the VTEC interior ones. I assume so as it’s the black leather as per those, so it was probably designed to go with them. More comfortable with the headrests too, as I know from comparing having them (on LNER) to not on TfW.

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 260

sd0733

Established Member
Credit to the random guy on a Facebook group that I swiped this from, but great that TfW have restored the headrests (their own version) on the GC interior MK4 first class seats. Looks much smarter and less bare/tatty - I hope they’ve done the same to the VTEC interior ones. I assume so as it’s the black leather as per those, so it was probably designed to go with them. More comfortable with the headrests too, as I know from comparing having them (on LNER) to not on TfW.
Yes, they're all done/being done. There's also the window stickers and external door stickers too, curtains should be soon added too on the ex-GC sets.

Envoy

Established Member
Yes, they're all done/being done. There's also the window stickers and external door stickers too, curtains should be soon added too on the ex-GC sets.
I am not keen on curtains as people close them and hence block the view. If the sun is an annoyance, it is better to have blinds that can be pulled as low is necessary to block the sun yet still retain the view out from the lower part of the window.

Here we are - now into October and I don’t see any Mk 4 services with the 5th coach added. So, why has the 5th coach not been added to these trains?

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
I am not keen on curtains as people close them and hence block the view. If the sun is an annoyance, it is better to have blinds that can be pulled as low is necessary to block the sun yet still retain the view out from the lower part of the window.

Here we are - now into October and I don’t see any Mk 4 services with the 5th coach added. So, why has the 5th coach not been added to these trains?
The first set of 5 cars was last rumoured to be starting 23rd October. After that the rest of the sets will be progressively lengthened.

GWVillager

Oh wow, I never thought they’d fit them! Hopefully this will help sort the confusion.

And this is great news too, the curtains always made the ex-VT ones my favourite. Presumably they’re of the same blue colour as those?

sd0733

Established Member

To be honest I find it the opposite, blinds end up blocking the view more as the person in front/behind pulls it down and blocks the entire window for everyone.

5 car plan for ages, and has been noted in the thread several times, is that the 5 car rake will enter service on 23rd October (as long as everything. Its at Landore having various static tests done and as long as everything passes it will be in service 3 weeks today.

Oh wow, I never thought they’d fit them! Hopefully this will help sort the confusion.

And this is great news too, the curtains always made the ex-VT ones my favourite. Presumably they’re of the same blue colour as those?
People will struggle to plead ignorance now, It's fairly prominent that it's First!

Yes they'll all be the same AFAIK. The original plan was they'd all be done as part of the same package but obviously there's been a bit of a holdup with the curtains.