• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

ABB125

Established Member
It's not that it's a different loco, it's that swapping them over will involve coupling and uncoupling and you therefore need to check that this has been done properly, in particular that the multiple working jumpers are functioning.

I can recall a couple of occasions where the Manchester Mk3 set went backwards when driven from the DVT. A notice went up at ATC Crewe to the effect that a forward & reverse test should be done before the set leaves the shed.
I see, thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Plasmanoodle

The diagrams have swapped around today, not totally sure if it's permanent or not. Think you've got the wrong Headcode there tho ;) the Mk4 is on 05:36 off Swansea as 1W13. The set is then booked onto the 10:30 from Manchester, 14:49 Cardiff Manchester and 18:30 return.

1W11/1V37/1W19/1V50 have reverted to a booked 150.

HD02 not completed its tyre turning so a diagram is a unit today.
Not only did I get the wrong head code, I also stated that it started from Swansea at the incorrect time! Clearly, I made that post before I’d had my first sip of coffee.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
1W61 is showing on RTT as a Mk 4 set today, which is the first time I have seen it - I am taking this service in a couple of weeks and so have been watching it run with 2x153, 1x150, 2x150, 175, 158 (mostly 1x150!)

5W61 ran +37 late out of Canton so could be a one-off set swap, hopefully not...

Kite159

Veteran Member
I see on Saturday (& Sunday) TfW are diverting the South Wales - Manchester services via Wrexham + Chester [lucky passengers of Wrexham getting 2tph!] to terminate at Crewe. I wonder if any of those services are planned to be 67+Mk4 formations or will they all be units due to the risk of staff not signing Chester - Crewe & Mk4s?

sd0733

Established Member
1W61 is showing on RTT as a Mk 4 set today, which is the first time I have seen it - I am taking this service in a couple of weeks and so have been watching it run with 2x153, 1x150, 2x150, 175, 158 (mostly 1x150!)

5W61 ran +37 late out of Canton so could be a one-off set swap, hopefully not...
It was a Mk4 diagram today, it was late as was a set swap at Crewe with 1W55 forming 1V39 back which was this set so was half hour late.

It's planned again tomorrow but not sure if its permanent or just a temporary switch from the 1W11 diagram for whatever reason

southernyoshi

I see on Saturday (& Sunday) TfW are diverting the South Wales - Manchester services via Wrexham + Chester [lucky passengers of Wrexham getting 2tph!] to terminate at Crewe. I wonder if any of those services are planned to be 67+Mk4 formations or will they all be units due to the risk of staff not signing Chester - Crewe & Mk4s?
!!!
I'm hoping to go to Chester on Saturday, is there any at a glance timetable for this? (Also yeah are any of them Mark 4, pr even 175s, or is it all 158/153 up there?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
!!!
I'm hoping to go to Chester on Saturday, is there any at a glance timetable for this? (Also yeah are any of them Mark 4, pr even 175s, or is it all 158/153 up there?
You could take a look at realtime trains, it looks to have been updated. RTT will also show the allocation on the day.

Topological

Half way there with 1W13 this morning. Starting in Cardiff rather than Swansea. Says it will be a Mk4 though (Edit: It is a Mk4 and left on time)

The 150s did always seem to make it off Canton in the morning for the ECS to Swansea (though not 100%).

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
0424 and 1238 departures from Crewe are planned for 67s.

sd0733

Established Member
Will this be diagrams including those departures or are these the only two Mk4 services?
There is just one set out, HD01 if the plans stick, so it should do both those workings from Crewe and a return working too. That's the only set planned out all weekend.

southernyoshi

Looks like connecting at Shrewsbury you either have the shorter connection to the common Cardiff -> Holyhead then roughly half an hour later there are the diverted trains.
I think the train into Shrewsbury gets in at 10:18. I've certainly seen the 10:19 Crewe stopper there. So it's basically a half hourly service Shrewsbury - Chester then? That's useful (shame that can't be normal lol). I take it from what's said above all trains are 158 from Birmingham and 150 from Cardiff?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I think the train into Shrewsbury gets in at 10:18. I've certainly seen the 10:19 Crewe stopper there. So it's basically a half hourly service Shrewsbury - Chester then? That's useful (shame that can't be normal lol).
Arriving on the 10:18 (10:19 in public timetable), you may be able to quickly connect to the 10:24 from Shrewsbury, if something goes wrong with that then you have the diverted train at 10:53

southernyoshi

Yeah I normally see the 10:24/5 at the platform when I go into Shrewsbury. It's always a 158 all the times I've seen it.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I do think the rakes of black carriages look decidedly morbid. This was the set I caught with 010 today.

IMG_9058.jpeg

Description: Red 67 + Black MK4s, grey door, white logo vinyls

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Are the Manchester rakes ex-GC black or ex-LNER red and white, or a mixture?
Mixture, they can turn up on any diagram.
I think it's a mixture. I've heard you can tell on RTT, LNER ones have pictures and GC ones don't.
That's false. If TfW didn't put an allocation in the system, it shows the graphic. If TfW did put the allocation in, it doesn't show the picture and shows the allocation.

GWVillager

I used to be very fond of it, but my opinion has soured to the black. It blends in much worse with the countryside than the red if you ask me.

Edit: I didn't intend for those photos to appear so large... sorry!

1687375946165.png1687375922732.png