• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Thanks. I wonder why it’s the DVT getting the wrap then when it’s just been reliveried? The MK4s badly need painting. Unless of course, they’re just changing the charity advert for another.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fodphil

HD01 DVT getting a new wrap on the DVT this week. Unsure what it Will be or whether it's just a replacement of what's on there at the moment.

Theres a lot of loco/coach exams Monday and Tuesday so the diagram starting 04:54 from Crewe wont run until Wednesday. On Tuesday the 0435 Cardiff to Manchester is a unit from Cardiff but planned a set swap at Crewe.
From Wednesday should then be all 4 diagrams.
For the first time in several weeks all 7 sets will have a loco on them after tomorrow as well with 67013 planned to go onto HD03 for the finishing off of its exam so it can enter service.

As I understand it what was HD08 will now mostly become the spare HD99. Some of the worst of the spare coaches at present will then become donor coaches and eventually be stripped and scrapped.

Things change so much though that those plans may be out of date already but that was the last i heard!!
TBH they're in a bit of a state

marshallt

Does anyone know if these set are still regularly running with the hot food available? It was good when I last went a few months ago.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Does anyone know if these set are still regularly running with the hot food available? It was good when I last went a few months ago.
I’ve seen about six in the last few weeks and all had the buffet closed. Bearing in mind that may not be a fully representative sample of the past month’s operations, I’ll let you make of it what you will.

robert thomas

I’ve seen about six in the last few weeks and all had the buffet closed. Bearing in mind that may not be a fully representative sample of the past month’s operations, I’ll let you make of it what you will.
They certainly had a restaurant service on the sets I travelled on last week

Lurcheroo

Yep, I’ve had buffet on all my services recently.

Where were you travelling between out of curiosity?

Lucky you then! I wish I could say the same for those I've had, not that I'd stump up the audacious asking price for First+food.
I think it’s like £30 upgrade for a Cardiff - Manchester ticket for first class. For a 3 1/2 hour journey I don’t think it’s too unreasonable and I’d pay it anytime I travel on a MK4.
I’ve only ever had breakfast but I felt my £9.95 was of pretty reasonable value even if I don’t like pork and leek sausages
A 3 course meal for £22 doesn’t seem too much of a rip off either especially seems as anything I’ve had has been good quality.

I don’t know how this will come across in text so please don’t take it as me being rude as that is not my intention at all.
If you look at it and feel that it is a rip off (which is totally fair enough and for any one person to make their own judgment on) then you’re not TFW’s intended market of customer.

sd0733

Established Member
Yep, I’ve had buffet on all my services rerecently
They've been very reliable recently. There's more occasions of a full chef, host, buffet crew passing round or doing a trolley on a 150 than there is of Mk4s without a catering crew these days. In fact I know some depots are actually now over complement.

Where were you travelling between out of curcuriosity
I was thinking the same. If its further south then you'll rarely see them open other than the Swansea services. The crews are based or have breaks at Newport so generally close at Abergavenny/Pontypool for cleaning, stock checks etc. Pretty much as the trolleys do as they also swap at Newport.
I think it’s like £30 upgrade for a Cardiff - Manchester ticket for first class. For a 3 1/2 hour journey I don’t think it’s too unreasonable and I’d pay it anytime I travel on a MK4.
I’ve only ever had breakfast but I felt my £9.95 was of pretty reasonable value even if I don’t like pork and leek sausages
A 3 course meal for £22 doesn’t seem too much of a rip off either especially seems as anything I’ve had has been good quality.
£26 from Manchester to Cardiff or £31 to Swansea.
Effectively its £36 if you want breakfast or £48 if you want a 3 course meal. In my opinion it's excellent value considering what you get especially given a lot of the 1st class differences on other TOCs.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I don’t know how this will come across in text so please don’t take it as me being rude as that is not my intention at all.
If you look at it and feel that it is a rip off (which is totally fair enough and for any one person to make their own judgment on) then you’re not TFW’s intended market of customer.
I flew Emirates First a couple of months ago and they welcomed me graciously, so I see no reason why TfW wouldn't want my custom ;) It's not so much the price of the meals, but more the fact that it used to be complimentary with a decent upgrade fare. It is no longer complimentary and the first class price is not particularly attractive.

So perhaps it is not a standalone rip off, but more of a rip off in comparison with what was offered previously.

And for the record, for any journey lasting over 90 minutes I book first class where available. ;)

They've been very reliable recently. There's more occasions of a full chef, host, buffet crew passing round or doing a trolley on a 150 than there is of Mk4s without a catering crew these days. In fact I know some depots are actually now over complement.

I was thinking the same. If its further south then you'll rarely see them open other than the Swansea services. The crews are based or have breaks at Newport so generally close at Abergavenny/Pontypool for cleaning, stock checks etc. Pretty much as the trolleys do as they also swap at Newport.
I see, I do normally use them between Cardiff and Hereford.

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
I flew Emirates First a couple of months ago and they welcomed me graciously, so I see no reason why TfW wouldn't want my custom ;) It's not so much the price of the meals, but more the fact that it used to be complimentary with a decent upgrade fare. It is no longer complimentary and the first class price is not particularly attractive.

So perhaps it is not a standalone rip off, but more of a rip off in comparison with what was offered previously.

And for the record, for any journey lasting over 90 minutes I book first class where available. ;)
The problem is that the old pricing structure with the inclusive meals was completely unsustainable and lost money at a ridiculous rate.
As is human nature though anyone used it with the old Mk3 pricing is almost certain to see it as bad value and feel hard done by compared to what came before especially those with railcards and on short distance journeys where the value was the best but the loss the greatest!

Tom125

Yep, I’ve had buffet on all my services recently.

Where were you travelling between out of curiosity?

I think that fare upgrade and dining option is reasonable for the customer they are targeting- they’ll get business and leisure travellers at those rates.

The only thing TfW have to do is get these trains purring like a kitten so that premium customers know that the product they want turns up. Having worked at BA for many years premium customers enjoy the fluffy pillows and comfy seats but the thing they value the most is frequency and reliability. If TfW crack that they are on to a winner!

sd0733

Established Member
HD04, currently at Crewe won't, (or at least isn't planned to) be seen as a 4 car again. Its TO should be added in the next few days and once its exam is done it should enter service as a 5, jumping HD03 in the exam queue.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
HD04, currently at Crewe won't, (or at least isn't planned to) be seen as a 4 car again. Its TO should be added in the next few days and once its exam is done it should enter service as a 5, jumping HD03 in the exam queue.
Fantastic news!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
What’s the black set? Sounds very darth Vader ! Any pictures?

No because I was on a crowded platform and I'm not a confident filmer or YouTuber in crowds (yet!) :D Search black TfW Mk4s on Google and it should return appropriate results. There's only one completely black set: others are black with an orange stripe because they were owned by Grand Central in a previous life.

GWVillager

What’s the black set? Sounds very darth Vader ! Any pictures?
HD04-07, the ex-GC sets. Searching TfW Mk4 in Google gets you a few (as mentioned below).

No because I was on a crowded platform and I'm not a confident filmer or YouTuber in crowds (yet!) :D Search black TfW Mk4s on Google and it should return appropriate results. There's only one completely black set: others are black with an orange stripe because they were owned by Grand Central in a previous life.
All of the ex-GC sets have had their orange stripes removed.

Last edited:

Lurcheroo

Not my photo. But the DVT getting the new wrap looking absolutely fire. Big support of the Welsh Air Ambulance so I’m a huge fan.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 258

sd0733

Established Member
Thank you for the updates. More Darth Vader-esque sets out then, than I ththought.
Some did proving runs with the orange stripe but they were all branded Tfw and had the orange stripe removed prior to entering service.

Not my photo. But the DVT getting the new wrap looking absolutely fire. Big support of the Welsh Air Ambulance so I’m a huge fan.
Does look a lot better and brighter! As long as a loco makes it down to Canton today it should re enter service on the 04:35 Cardiff to Manchester tomorrow

Last edited:

Lurcheroo

Some did proving runs with the orange stripe but they were all branded Tfw and had the orange stripe removed prior to entering service.

Does look a lot better and brighter! As long as a loco makes it down to Canton today it should re enter service on the 05:30 Swansea to Manchester tomorrow.
oh excellent! Is that still as 4 coaches ?

MP393

oh excellent! Is that still as 4 coaches ?

Yes that rake is still 4 and will be until it’s next exam at Crewe ATC

HD03 & HD04 are 5 car rakes, both not in service yet at Crewe. HD04 is on exam currently and should enter service mid next week as the first 5 car

GWVillager

That looks amazing, I love how the red fades out into the grey of the sky/livery at the front. Shame they didn’t extend the red vinyl right to the rear of the vehicle, that would have blended it in perfectly.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Shame they didn’t extend the red vinyl right to the rear of the vehicle, that would have blended it in perfectly.
Yes, that looks very bizarre. I'd suggest it's because the photo is from when its midway through the process, in the hope it'd come out with that oversight addressed, but having seen the odd way they've done the DVTs before I wouldn't count on it.