• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skip 10

First one has arrived at Crewe this morning for training. Looks like new wheelsets have been fitted throughout. The multi working appears to work through the system ready fitted on the mk4s as opposed to fitting AAR to the DVT and stock.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
First one has arrived at Crewe this morning for training. Looks like new wheelsets have been fitted throughout. The multi working appears to work through the system ready fitted on the mk4s as opposed to fitting AAR to the DVT and stock.

Perhaps they've fitted the 67s with TDM then rather than retro-fitting the Mk4s with AAR?

Murray J

63254f53-a1e8-4c4a-b169-231ea070e6c0-jpeg.70586

found this on the transport for wales livery forum, think this is of the set now at crewe but can't be sure.

Entertexthere

63254f53-a1e8-4c4a-b169-231ea070e6c0-jpeg.70586

found this on the transport for wales livery forum, think this is of the set now at crewe but can't be sure.
Cheers for that. I think the DVT looks a bit bare, and if the rumours on this thread are true about the mk4s staying in VTEC livery, it doesn't look like it joins up correctly (or even the right white for that matter).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Cheers for that. I think the DVT looks a bit bare, and if the rumours on this thread are true about the mk4s staying in VTEC livery, it doesn't look like it joins up correctly (or even the right white for that matter).

The special charity liveries should brighten up the DVTs a bit and they won't match the Mk4s I don't imagine

Murray J

yeah agreed. it will just look completely wrong if they're kept in VTEC livery, sort of surprised they'd do that though considering it looks like they're planning on keeping them long term.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well I was told by LNER Twitter dude there would be no changes other than removal of LNER branding, but this might have been referral to just the interior, I guess.

krus_aragon

Established Member
yeah agreed. it will just look completely wrong if they're kept in VTEC livery, sort of surprised they'd do that though considering it looks like they're planning on keeping them long term.
I think it's a case of wanting to get the rolling stock out and in use as soon as possible, rather than keep them back for cosmetic work. In other words, Virgin's red and white is close enough for now, and they'll repaint them later when they're not so short of rolling stock.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Apologies if this has been covered up thread and I've missed, but following on from this do you know if that means the Manchester loco hauled will eventually revert to a unit, leaving the mk4's working solely Cardiff-Holyhead diagrams?
In May at the moment when the Marches is cleared for Mark IVs
There is still no confirmation of the rumour that more than 3 or 4 67s would be getting TfW livery. If the rumour is true, then it seems likely there will be more mark 4s sets but whether they would work to Manchester is of course also unconfirmed.

There was a suggestion that they hadn't decided what they were doing with the interior long-term, so it may be that they've decided to leave the livery for a later refurb.

ash39

Established Member
I'd be surprised if they touched the interiors. Virgin spent £21m refurbishing them a couple of years ago, and they are red! Could hardly be a better match for TFW.

harz99

I think it's a case of wanting to get the rolling stock out and in use as soon as possible, rather than keep them back for cosmetic work. In other words, Virgin's red and white is close enough for now, and they'll repaint them later when they're not so short of rolling stock.

Think you'll find the Mk4s are vinyled not painted...

krus_aragon

Established Member
Think you'll find the Mk4s are vinyled not painted...
In which case, they'd either be revinyled or painted later.

(I hadn't meant to specify that they're covered in paint, just that they'll probably change colour later on. I haven't seen the Mark 4s in person since they were navy blue.)

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Are the mk4s still east coast grey underneath then?

Side Note. Nice to see the return of black headlight surrounds on the DVT!

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Confirmed that the Manchester set and Cardiff-Holyhead set will remain as Mk3s for now and won’t change to Mk4s on Monday. The new proposed Cardiff-Holyhead will be units.

craigybagel

Established Member
must have been some spanner bashing since Wednesday going on. On the bright side it's not our to worry about.

They brought the spare up to Crewe from Canton on Wednesday, and got it back in service on the North Wales set on Friday.

modernrail

If this all goes well I really do hope deals can be done to extend the application of the MKIVs. I would love to see them on more of the North/South wales services and:
Manchester - Cardiff
Liverpool - Holyhead
Liverpool - Nottingham (although I accept 185s much more likely but the MKIV environment is much nicer for intercity route like this).

Increasingly it feels like there might be options to boost capacity in the north and Wales without any further new orders, if the right deals can be struck with the leasing companies and the Government is willing to repay a little of the hopefully not misguided trust that has just been placed in it. Time will tell if anybody in Gov/the DfT really is capable of that level of rather obvious imagination.