• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex-LNER Mk4 sets for Grand Central (Blackpool - Euston)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

I would also think that seat coverings are something that get's replaced on a semi-frequent basis anyway - I certainly would expect that after 5 years the original fabric will be well worn down. Changing the pattern and colour of the fabric doesn't cost very much more, particularly if you don't have access to the original fabric
They are actually in very good condition still. Up until mid march I was travelling on the LNER ones regularly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

The headrest wings look quite big in standard.... Is it the same as LNER's MK4 sets, or is more akin to GC's 180s which is very uncomfy if you're above 5'5"?

Think it's the same - just looks more pronounced because of the contrasting materials used in the new covers.

DB

*NOT MY PICS* But here are some images of the interiors of the sets... View attachment 80344
View attachment 80343
*NOT MY PICS* But here are some images of the interiors of the sets... View attachment 80344
View attachment 80343

It does look good - but it's a pity they have copied Virgin/LNER and included that ridiculous oval piece on the top section of the first class seats - it serves no purpose and is fixed in position, meaning that if you are tall (as I am) the beading round the top edge digs into the back of your head. I guess the same will apply with the bottom edge for people who are short.

If they really must have a contrasting section there, the GWR / Scotrail approach, with a flat piece stitched on, works much better.

Helvellyn

Established Member
View attachment 80343
Shame the seat frames haven't been tidied up (zoom in on the first class one to see chipped paint) and look at the torn seal between the window frames. It is only small detail, but if repeated across the carriage will detract. Repair and make good surely isn't that difficult?

43 302

Established Member

Spirit555

Formation on 5Z90 was
90026 + 90020 + 82230 11322 10301 12316 12452 12210 82201 11319 10318 12319 12434 12211

Mark

Spartacus

Established Member
67006 has been noted dragging 90037 & 90039 to Toton, both bound for the paint shop.

Spartacus

Established Member
I know it wasn't originally going to be, but perhaps plans have changed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I must say that the standard offering looks very classy and is a definite rival for avanti looking forwards.

I'll judge when I sit in one. It looks very much like that seat goes up at the back and is thus partly sloped the wrong way (like the appalling GNER single piece cushion which while it existed was for me the worst seat on the network, guaranteeing back pain after about 20 minutes) and so is likely to be very uncomfortable for me.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I must say that the standard offering looks very classy and is a definite rival for avanti looking forwards.
But, much as I adore MK4, as a fairly regular Avanti traveller (around two three times per month COVID excluded), I want to make use of Crewe, I want to make use of Manchester and Liverpool and sometimes Glasgow. These are the stations where most passengers seem to get on and off too. I don’t know many people rely on Avanti West Coast’s to get to Nuneaton or Blackpool but I seriously doubt that if they switch to Grand Central they are going to cause serious loss in revenue for AWC. Bar services to Preston, there doesn’t seem much similarity in terms of service that could be seen as threatening for them.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I'll judge when I sit in one. It looks very much like that seat goes up at the back and is thus partly sloped the wrong way (like the appalling GNER single piece cushion which while it existed was for me the worst seat on the network, guaranteeing back pain after about 20 minutes) and so is likely to be very uncomfortable for me.
Of course, the proof will be in the pudding but on initial looks, it's good.

DB

From.the photos, it's just the GNER interior with new seat covers and carpets, pretty much!

Status
Not open for further replies.