• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exams

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutter

Hi. I know it is coming up to exam time for some of you out there (I'm thinking of Coxter among others). The main tip I have for you is NOT TO PANIC and 'hulusinate' you are in the normal classroom taking one of them mocks you might do with your teacher. I was expecting to get 2 D's and 5C's but thanks to my 'Hulusinations' i got 2 B'S and 5 C's. When I say hulusinate i mean in the mind not in your eyes, if you do see your JP ASAP. It's true what they say, it is mind over matter. If you are cool when you go into the exam room you will do fine

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

Ive Got exams for geology, geography physics and maths in january, but with as levels you've got the chance to take them again 8)

TheSlash

Established Member
Simming said:
Ive Got exams for geology, geography physics and maths in january, but with as levels you've got the chance to take them again 8)
I'm gonna stop paying taxes, then all the drop outs like you and JDJonny will have to get a proper job instead of wasting my money on media studies ;) 8) :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Simming said:
I'm gonna stop paying taxes, then all the drop outs like you and JDJonny will have to get a proper job instead of wasting my money on media studies ;) 8) :lol:

Hardly a dropout, and they are "sensible" subjects (as opposed to psychology, media studies etc).

I've got Computing, Physics and Business in January, they've decided we will do C1 in June.

Simming

We aint drop outs, at least we are learning to become tomorrows experts (or your bosses ;) )

'Ave a whinge at those who are taking your money for being on the doll

(I wont tell you also that me and jdjonny get £30 for going to college each day, everyday 8) )

EDIT: Socialogy, now thats the doss subject!

traveller1030

Judging by some of the spilling irrors we've got amongst these posts, nice to see that English is still being taught in that inimitable style I knew and loved. Maybe my literacy skills are undervalued in the workplace these days... :lol:

As for 'hallucinations' in situ to see you through, not necessary - instead, channel that mind's eye into remembering past papers and the questions and answers that put in an appearance - far more effective than fretting about your surroundings, IMHO. ;)

nutter

Well i'm doing a national cert in public services. I'm not sure if I want to go into the BTP or 79 Railway Squadron RLC (Royal Logistics Core) or just go into railway operations such as platform staff to get into train driving. Well I remember how stressed I was so I just want to give my encouragement. To tell you the truth I thought I was one of a few minority of under 21's into train sims, nice to see there are a few of us about.

Tom B

Established Member
Simming said:
(I wont tell you also that me and jdjonny get £30 for going to college each day, everyday 8) )

DO NOT get me started on the pillocks who run EMA. They refuse to give it to anyone who happens to be a few days too young to be in L6th, but they are in L6th because they are a year ahead at school, yet if you're so thick you need to spend another year doing A-levels you can get it for as long as you want!

*fume*

Unfortunately these days you're taught not about a subject, but how to pass an exam in that subject. "This happens, I'm not telling you why because it's not on the syllabus so we don't need to know about it" - we *do* need to know about it, we just don't need to know about it for an exam!

Tomnick

Established Member
A lot of the people at my old school/sixth-form came from North East Lincs, which was one of the pilot areas for the EMA scheme - meaning a lot of the people in my year received the £30 every week, the year before it was properly launched. Thing is, when it was launched everywhere else, they kept receiving it despite being too old under the rules! Yet those of us in the school who weren't from North East Lincs still weren't eligible to receive it. Hardly seemed fair to me, and seems to show how badly set up and run it all is!

As for learning just to pass exams - the flaw in the teaching method described, is that a sound understanding of the ideas behind the theory (as I'm sure we're all aware) makes it far easier to remember what you need to pass the exam, as well as making it far more relevant to real life. And, as you say, we're quite likely to need to know exactly what it's all about at some point in life - not least when we go to uni and then have to build on the things we've 'learnt' over the last few years...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am absolutely fuming. I am entitled to EMA, and, annoyingly have to claim £20 per week to pay my bus fares, with the remaining £4.50 being donated to charity. For many months, since I heard about this scheme, it is a stupid idea, badly thought through and a total and utter waste of money. Several millions of pounds wasted on this stupid scheme could have gone into providing free buses for students, also closing the funding gap between colleges and schools, enabling them to provide a lot of the course materials free-of-charge.

ChrisA

I don't like that EMA thing. I find that myself and friends who are not entitled to it don't feel as motivated to come to school as much without an incentive.

As for exams, i managed to keep cool and did pretty damn good! (I won't boast and revel the grades :lol: :lol:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
nutter said:
Just for the record I wasn't boasting, I was just saying that anything is possible. I thought I'd be lucky to get D's Good Luck everyone

Hopefully not in English ;)

traveller1030

EMA? Pah! Try sweet FA, like you got in my day, moan, grumble, etc. :lol:

Do you really expect ANY educational finance function to work flawlessly? SLC have f***ed up again for the umpteenth time with my student loans, despite informing them at every step of the way I'd changed bank, I get through the letter I have to take to Uni to get my money, and lo and behold, my old account details are where they want to make the BACS payment to. Despite telling them thrice that I'd taken my banking elsewhere (as an aside: NEVER 'bank' with Abbey, but that's a different tale), I now have more admin work to do, question is will I even get my first instalment before Christmas...

...coming from a finance background professionally before returning to education, it is doubly frustrating that it seems like trained chimps are the order of the day when dealing with these people. At least I've had the opportunity to get that off my chest... bunch of eejits...

Status
Not open for further replies.