• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess Fares Query - Appeal againt Penalty Charge at St Panc

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0b

Established Member
Isn't the coding of 'London Terminals' on the magstripe tickets the same for every London Terminal, so the only barrier programming options are probably to retain all or pass all?

Even if that were true, the gateline at London Bridge should still not be swallowing London Terminal tickets with BOJ privs, since that ticket is still valid to at least Waterloo East, Charing Cross, Cannon Street, Blackfriars, City Thameslink (and possibly Victoria?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Even if that were true, the gateline at London Bridge should still not be swallowing London Terminal tickets with BOJ privs, since that ticket is still valid to at least Waterloo East, Charing Cross, Cannon Street, Blackfriars, City Thameslink (and possibly Victoria?)

Only true if you asssume BOJ is programmed correctly - and many previous posters have suggested it hardly ever is.

It will be much easier just to turn off 'London Terminals' retention. AIUI.

John @ home

Established Member
the gateline at London Bridge should still not be swallowing London Terminal tickets
It is even more perverse that a Norwood Jn - London St Pancras ticket was swallowed at a station which was neither Norwood Jn nor London St Pancras.

jon0844

Veteran Member
A Hatfield to London Terminals ticket used in a barrier at King's Cross (to continue at weekends to Moorgate, via the Northern Line, when FCC doesn't run) will trigger a 'seek assistance' and not take the ticket.

I am also pretty sure that upon arrival at King's Cross (rail), my wife used the gate and it gave her the ticket back. By that I mean it either didn't take it (obviously) or she showed it to someone.

paul1609

Established Member

Does a ticket give you BoJ privs once youve arrived at a Group station?
My Littlehampton to Portsmouth STNs tickets are swallowed by the barriers at Portsmouth & Southsea but I presumably could be breaking my journey on the way to Harbour stn.

Lampshade

Established Member
Does a ticket give you BoJ privs once youve arrived at a Group station?

It should do, it's valid to the furthest station in the group :?

My Littlehampton to Portsmouth STNs tickets are swallowed by the barriers at Portsmouth & Southsea but I presumably could be breaking my journey on the way to Harbour stn.

Aha, but did that particular ticket allow BoJ?

RJ

Established Member

The solution is either see a gateline assistant or buy a ticket to Zone U1 if possible.

b0b

Established Member
The solution is either see a gateline assistant or buy a ticket to Zone U1 if possible.

Paying an additional fare to U1 is not a solution when the ticket held is valid. Nor is guessing whether a gateline at London Bridge is going to eat a ticket for London St Pancras.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It should do, it's valid to the furthest station in the group :?

I'm not sure that is true....

However, if you ask for a ticket to Portsmouth Harbour, and it is printed as Portsmouth stations, its clearly still valid to Portsmouth Harbour.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Paying an additional fare to U1 is not a solution when the ticket held is valid. Nor is guessing whether a gateline at London Bridge is going to eat a ticket for London St Pancras.
Agreed
I'm not sure that is true....
Why not?

However, if you ask for a ticket to Portsmouth Harbour, and it is printed as Portsmouth stations, its clearly still valid to Portsmouth Harbour.
A ticket to Portsmouth Stns is valid to Portsmouth Harbour, whether you specifically asked for Portsmouth Barbour or not.

wintonian

Established Member
A ticket to Portsmouth Stns is valid to Portsmouth Harbour, whether you specifically asked for Portsmouth Barbour or not.

I went to Portsmouth last week and duly had my ticket eaten at Portsmouth & Southsea, when I asked if the barriers should do that as I might want to go to Harbour I was told yes they should as I am in Portsmouth and if I wanted to go to Harbour from there I should use the return portion.

When I (politely in a manner of curiosity) explained that I thought this was odd as when in London the barriers at waterloo return the ticket the member of staff started getting aggressive and informed me in no uncertain terms that the barriers in London do not return tickets to London terminals and in any case I was in Portsmouth and not London so different rules applied.

Last edited:

b0b

Established Member
Why not? A ticket to Portsmouth Stns is valid to Portsmouth Harbour, whether you specifically asked for Portsmouth Barbour or not.

I seem to recall a discussion where we were thinking a London Bridge ticket might not be valid say to Charing Cross because its not the shortest route, even if the ticket is printed as London Terminals...

And the whole is a Wimbledon to London Terminals ticket valid to Euston.

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
A Hatfield to London Terminals ticket used in a barrier at King's Cross (to continue at weekends to Moorgate, via the Northern Line, when FCC doesn't run) will trigger a 'seek assistance' and not take the ticket.

I am also pretty sure that upon arrival at King's Cross (rail), my wife used the gate and it gave her the ticket back. By that I mean it either didn't take it (obviously) or she showed it to someone.

I think that the barriers at Kings Cross platforms 9-11 now return the "London terminals" tickets. The last few times I have been through (with a Potters Bar to London Terminals ticket) the barriers returned my ticket & let me through.
When they were first installed at KX it did retain the London terminals tickets & there used to be a note on the barriers saying to see a member of staff if you were using your ticket to travel to Moorgate.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I went to Portsmouth last week and duly had my ticket eaten at Portsmouth & Southsea, when I asked if the barriers should do that as I might want to go to Harbour I was told yes they should as I am in Portsmouth and if I wanted to go to Harbour from there I should use the return portion.

When I (politely in a manner of curiosity) explained that I thought this was odd as when in London the barriers at waterloo return the ticket the member of staff started getting aggressive and informed me in no uncertain terms that the barriers in London do not return tickets to London terminals and in any case I was in Portsmouth and not London so different rules applied.

Tha barriers at Waterloo return London Terminals as they are valid into Charing Cross and London Bridge, for some origins but not all. They probaly cannot program the exact validity so let them all through. SWT mentioned this in a webchat a while back.

But that isn't the same as Break of Journey - it is a continuing route. Leaving at Portsmouth and Southsea and wanting to re-enter to carry on to Portsmouth Harbour IS a BOJ, and as people have been mentioning here for a few years now, BOJ is generally not programmed into barrier lines. If people remembered this and sought out staff before attempting to discover it by using the barriers, they'd not have this problem.

djh1986

On my situation though, I had no alternative but to continue my journey as normal and go through the barriers to get to the Northern Line as this is the only way to St Pancras from East Croydon (it's even advertised as such on the boards at Croydon).

It's absurd that a London Bridge gate should be swallowing a St Pancras ticket at all, let alone when the only route available is the other side of the barriers!

b0b

Established Member
I guess you've learned a lesson, don't put your ticket in a gateline if you need it for any reason whatsoever as you have no idea whether the gateline will keep it or not.

jon0844

Veteran Member
You wouldn't expect any gateline to take a ticket if you're allowed (and expected to) use that route during planned engineering work.

If you did, you might stop using gates at all!

philjo

Established Member
My season ticket (to Pottters Bar) has never worked in the gates at Welwyn Garden City & I know several other people who have this problem - their tickets have all originated from Hitchin, Letchworth, Arlesey etc. I have had no problem at Hatfield and Stevenage etc
I was told by FCC that BOJ facility did not work at WGC and they would look in to it but that was 2 years ago & was still not working last week!
Although the barriers return the tickets (but do not open) if you think about it this is not very convenient, as if you have to change trains at WGC whilst travelling southbound you often need to go through 2 sets of barriers to get from platform 2 over to platform 4 in a limited amount of time!

Recently I went off to the shops in WGC on the way home & on return there were no staff by the barriers so could not get back onto the platforms for several minutes as the barriers were still closed!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Recently I went off to the shops in WGC on the way home & on return there were no staff by the barriers so could not get back onto the platforms for several minutes as the barriers were still closed!

I'd write to FCC over that as it is breaking the health and safety regulations for operating a gateline.

jon0844

Veteran Member
They have cameras for the lifts (and can remotely operate them - although it seems open to abuse), so I wonder if they can operate one gate line from the other platform island? Mind you, all they can do is let you through if you have a problem - so it seems rather easy for a fare evader to just wave something orange!

Of course, if you had to wait then they weren't doing their job and the system fell apart - but I am not sure they are breaking the same rules as this the station is 'outdoors'. I am sure there is NO WAY a gateline can be left unattended for ANY reason on an underground station, but St Albans has a gateline that's only monitored remotely.

Status
Not open for further replies.