• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess where no Any Permitted fare exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I have never said the excess should be anything other than £0! Infact I recall stating that it was the best solution to the problem, doesn't make my point any less valid.

If the ticket is restricted to travel via York (to which you agree by buying it) the shortest route would be one that passes through York, it doesn't take a scientist to work that out. If you are to say that this is not the case then you are saying that the conditions of carriage are nothing and so your point is even less valid.

For your next trick you will prove a ticket valid only by a particular TOC is valid on an entirely different one because they run along the shortest route and the one your ticket is actually valid on, doesn't, it must be true, afterall condition 13(a) says..........

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I have to say, that my opinion on this matter is that a Rte York ticket is not valid vai Carlisle, and that the Rte Carlisle is NOT necessarily a permitted route, just because it is the shortest route.

The conditions of carriage say this:

13. The route you are entitled to take
(a) You may travel between the stations shown on the ticket you hold in:
(i) a through train;
(ii) trains which take the shortest route which can be used by scheduled
passenger services; or
(iii) trains which take the routes shown in the National Routeing Guide
(details as to how you can obtain this information will be available
when you buy your ticket).
(b) If you are using a Zonal Ticket you may travel in trains which take any route
within the zone or zones shown on the ticket.
(c) Together, the routes referred to in (a) (ii), (a) (iii) and (b) above are the
“permitted routes”
(d) The use of some tickets may be restricted to trains which take:
(i) routes passing through, or avoiding, particular locations; or
(ii) the most direct route.
These restrictions will be shown on the ticket.
(e) If you make your journey by a route other than those referred to in (a) and
(b) above, you will be liable to pay an excess fare. This excess fare will be the
difference between the price paid for the ticket you hold and the price of the
lowest priced ticket(s) available for immediate travel that would have
entitled you to travel by that route.

Reading this in order then you could argue that point a(ii) applies here as going via Carlisle is the shortest route and therefore this condition makes it a valid route. HOWEVER, my interpretation is that Point d(i) supersedes point a, and thus going via the shortest route is NOT automatically a permitted route if no "any permitted" or similarly flexible ticket applies.

Also, point e, which talks about excess fares, only makes mention of going away from the routes described in points a or b. There is no mention of any excess fare if you divert away from a restricted route as outlined in point d.

Although I would probably still adopt the £0.00 excess policy as I outlined at the start of the thread, I do not beleive that Rte Carlisle is automatically a permitted route just because it is the shortest route. If the ticket is stated as Rte York, as allowed for in point d, then the ONLY permitted route is going via York. As there are no "any permitted" fares, then as I see it the only permitted route from Manchester to Alloa on a through ticket is Rte York, irrespective of whether that is the shortest or quickest or most sensible route.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also, point e, which talks about excess fares, only makes mention of going away from the routes described in points a or b. There is no mention of any excess fare if you divert away from a restricted route as outlined in point d.
But they can't have it both ways.

Either it should be an excess fare, in which case it is £0.00, or it should not be an excess fare, in which case no action can be taken.

They cannot sell a new ticket for the journey, as the passenger already holds a ticket for the entire journey, for a more expensive route than the route they are taking.

So all they can do is charge £0.00 and issue a piece of paper, or do nothing.
hairyhandedfool said:
If the ticket is restricted to travel via York (to which you agree by buying it)
2 questions then
1) is a Newquay to Kyle "Not London" ticket restricted to avoiding London or do you accept it is valid via London?
2) How can a regular customer not "agree" to this ticket and still travel? I accept that a ticket expert would buy a combination of tickets, or a ticket from Irlam (same price but Any Permitted) but what about someone who isn't an expert? How can they disagree? There is no choice!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....2 questions then
1) is a Newquay to Kyle "Not London" ticket restricted to avoiding London or do you accept it is valid via London?
2) How can a regular customer not "agree" to this ticket and still travel? I accept that a ticket expert would buy a combination of tickets, or a ticket from Irlam (same price but Any Permitted) but what about someone who isn't an expert? How can they disagree? There is no choice!

It would have "route Not London" on the ticket, therefore not valid for travel via London terminals (13d).

The clerk selling the ticket can't offer a "rte Not London" ticket if it is known the passenger is intending to travel via London, because it would not be valid for their journey. The good clerk would know this because they would have either enquired as to the route taken or informed the passenger that it is not valid that way, causing the passenger to say that it is the route they would like to take.

If it transpired that there were no tickets valid via London, the clerk may agree with the passenger, a reasonable alternative, perhaps Newquay to London zone 1 and London to Kyle, or another ticket valid for the journey, however I do not believe this is covered in "impartiallity" as that refers to "through tickets" IIRC.

Btw, where is the "Irlam" you refer to? The only one I know of is in Manchester. A typo perhaps?

I assume this is a hypothetical situation as in this instance a quick search of the FRPP brings up four routes for Newquay to Kyle, Any permitted, XC & Connections, +London, +AP Londn Reading.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
not london is valid via london when it costs more than +any permitted. issue a 0.00 excess if you like but it's valid. point proven!

irlam to alloa is any permitted and valid via manchester.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
not london is valid via london when it costs more than +any permitted. issue a 0.00 excess if you like but it's valid. point proven!

irlam to alloa is any permitted and valid via manchester.

Okay, my assumption was that this was hypothetical as there isn't a 'rte Not London' fare between Newquay and Kyle. The question was worded such that I made the assumption there was no 'rte London' fare available or that it was of a higher price. I agree that if a lower fare existed it would be valid that way, but I would point out that joe public will not pay more than they have to in 99.9% of cases, based on my experience of working in a ticket office. This is ofcourse irrelevant in our case because no lower through fare exists for travel from Manchester to Alloa via the West Coast.

I wasn't sure where the Irlam bit came in to your question before, but I now realise it has nothing to do with the Newquay-Kyle ticket in question 1, but infact the Manchester-Alloa ticket, now it makes a little sense. The clerk would not have to offer this fare as the passenger is requesting travel from Manchester, daft it may be but thems the rules, if the passenger requested it, no problem. Could a Conductor use it as a basis for an excess? I don't see why not.

EDIT: Curiously the FRPP doesn't know the Irlam-Alloa fare, although I see it on the ticket machine, makes me wonder if the FRPP hasn't been updated properly.

I have to say, that my opinion on this matter is that a Rte York ticket is not valid vai Carlisle, and that the Rte Carlisle is NOT necessarily a permitted route, just because it is the shortest route....

I had a thought about this and it goes back to another thread that was around a little while ago. I can't remember exactly but it was a journey something like Havant to Bristol (rte AP Slough). Now I believe the routeing on the ticket was basically intented to provided travel via Paddington, because the routeing guide doesn't allow for doubling back. Yet ticket machines and websites gave a route like Havant-Guildford-Reading-Slough-Reading-Bristol.

The question asked was "did they really need to travel to Slough and back". My point here is that this was clearly the shortest route via Slough and therefore doubling-back was permitted because the routeing guide was not used (13a & 13d combined rather than opposed).

Should we therefore consider that "the shortest route" takes into account the routeing of the ticket? The shortest route would then always be permitted as indicated in the NCoC. In our case it would make "the shortest route" between Manchester and Alloa one that passes through York because the ticket is routed that way.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Okay, my assumption was that this was hypothetical as there isn't a 'rte Not London' fare between Newquay and Kyle. The question was worded such that I made the assumption there was no 'rte London' fare available or that it was of a higher price. I agree that if a lower fare existed it would be valid that way, but I would point out that joe public will not pay more than they have to in 99.9% of cases, based on my experience of working in a ticket office. This is ofcourse irrelevant in our case because no lower through fare exists for travel from Manchester to Alloa via the West Coast.
Apologies - bad example; I thought it was routed Not London, it is routed Any Permitted and the cheaper ticket is routed +London. There are still, however, people who would claim that the Any Permitted is not valid via London because it lacks a +, which is nonsense. I'm glad we agree. But a better example would be a Newquay to Aberdeen FOR, this is £886 Not London or £724 +London. Clearly, the Not London is valid via London (if the guard insists on excessing, the excess is clearly £0.00). I think this is relevant in the example of Manchester to Alloa, as you state that the fact it is routed "York" means that you must travel via York. However that isn't the case, as if a ticket is routed "Not London" that does not necessarily mean that you cannot travel via London, as we have just seen. That is the point I am trying to demonstrate!

The point here is that York is a more expensive route[1] than the shortest, most direct route, and therefore the excess to use the shorter route should be £0.00. The shortest route is always a permitted route. There is no fare for it, so we can only assume that the 'correct' fare is no higher than the via York fare. No other assumption can possibly make sense. Alternatively you can excess from Irlam, and this also gives a £0.00 excess. Alternatively you can look up the cost of split tickets via Carlisle, and find the total price, and excess the customer to this price - but this is a lower price, so again the excess is £0.00. I am not saying any one method is correct, but whichever method is chosen it is impossible to get an excess greater than £0.00, so that leaves guards 2 choices 1) do a complicated excess for £0.00 using any of the methods above or, 2) accept it. There is no other option really.
I wasn't sure where the Irlam bit came in to your question before, but I now realise it has nothing to do with the Newquay-Kyle ticket in question 1, but infact the Manchester-Alloa ticket, now it makes a little sense. The clerk would not have to offer this fare as the passenger is requesting travel from Manchester, daft it may be but thems the rules, if the passenger requested it, no problem. Could a Conductor use it as a basis for an excess? I don't see why not.
I agree with that.
EDIT: Curiously the FRPP doesn't know the Irlam-Alloa fare, although I see it on the ticket machine, makes me wonder if the FRPP hasn't been updated properly.
Interesting. Isn't FRPP (or "The Manual" as it is now known!) meant to be authoritative?
I had a thought about this and it goes back to another thread that was around a little while ago. I can't remember exactly but it was a journey something like Havant to Bristol (rte AP Slough). Now I believe the routeing on the ticket was basically intented to provided travel via Paddington, because the routeing guide doesn't allow for doubling back. Yet ticket machines and websites gave a route like Havant-Guildford-Reading-Slough-Reading-Bristol.

The question asked was "did they really need to travel to Slough and back". My point here is that this was clearly the shortest route via Slough and therefore doubling-back was permitted because the routeing guide was not used (13a & 13d combined rather than opposed).

Should we therefore consider that "the shortest route" takes into account the routeing of the ticket? The shortest route would then always be permitted as indicated in the NCoC. In our case it would make "the shortest route" between Manchester and Alloa one that passes through York because the ticket is routed that way.
I believe that you are right in that the shortest route via Slough must be valid on a AP Slough ticket, even if it involves doubling back, as no other explanation would make sense.

As this ticket is AP then there is a good case to say the customer must travel via Slough, although as mentioned in the thread originally, if the trains were merely "suggested services" (ie, unreserved) then it may not be compulsory and would not, in any case, be picked up on if the customer took a break in Reading instead.

[1] Yes, you can argue it's the only route in this case so it isn't more expensive, but if the customer requests travel via Carlisle then you have a situation where no one ticket exists that meets the customers' needs. In this case, ticket office staff are supposed to offer split tickets (e.g. if I ask for a Travelcard from York, they will offer to split - at London, although Grantham is a lot cheaper), and it would then be discovered that splitting the ticket will in fact enable a cheaper option via Carlisle and for similar journeys Route Carlisle or Route Lancaster is cheaper than Route York.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Interesting. Isn't FRPP (or "The Manual" as it is now known!) meant to be authoritative?

It is supposed to be the direct replacement for the NFM, Retail Manuels and Newsrail Express. So far I know of four missing fares, all ending at Alloa, but which are in the ticket machines.

....but if the customer requests travel via Carlisle then you have a situation where no one ticket exists that meets the customers' needs. In this case, ticket office staff are supposed to offer split tickets (e.g. if I ask for a Travelcard from York, they will offer to split - at London, although Grantham is a lot cheaper), and it would then be discovered that splitting the ticket will in fact enable a cheaper option via Carlisle and for similar journeys Route Carlisle or Route Lancaster is cheaper than Route York.

I agree that ticket offices should offer a split fare where no through fare exists (would you consider the ALR to be a through fare?), although I am unsure where this stands in terms of impartiallity, the FRPP is quite 'hazy' on the subject, refering to through fares unless "the customer specially requests" otherwise. I guess that is all based on the presumption that through fares actually exist for all reasonable journeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.