• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing an ITSO ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
I hold an anytime day return Lewisham to Tonbridge route NOT VIA LONDON on my ITSO card. The outbound leg has been used.

I now wish to visit Victoria this evening. What do you think are my chances of (1) getting a change of route excess to +NOT VALID ON HS1 and (2) in the event (1) works, being passed on the London Underground between Charing Cross and Victoria?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In theory I think you're supposed to be issued with a paper excess ticket which would pass muster on the Underground.

The problem is obtaining excesses is notoriously difficult and you normally have to shop around. That's certainly the case with an original paper ticket and I can't imagine it's any easier with a ticket held on ITSO.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
It isn't allowed for you to over-distance excess a ticket beyond the origin point on the return portion. So you would need to pay the normal fare for Lewisham to Victoria.

island

Veteran Member
It isn't allowed for you to over-distance excess a ticket beyond the origin point on the return portion. So you would need to pay the normal fare for Lewisham to Victoria.
I’m not trying to get an over-distance excess.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think we all know that the changes of being able to buy such an excess are virtually none.

janb

The Southeastern Key FAQs says the following,

Unfortunately, we’re currently not able to change the route of a ticket on the Key.

If you need to change your ticket’s route, please contact Customer Services for further information on 0345 322 7021

island

Veteran Member
Against all odds the Southeastern clerk at Tonbridge came up with this.

We shall see how I get on with ticket gates...

Attachments

• 19B81461-4C27-4DDF-B1A5-B9EA69FDD50A.jpeg
    19B81461-4C27-4DDF-B1A5-B9EA69FDD50A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 227

TEW

Established Member
I was taught to excess tickets held on an ITSO smartcard with a paper excess ticket, using 5 digits from the smartcard number instead of the ticket number, which is what they appear to have done at Tonbridge. I've never actually excessed a ticket on an ITSO card, but have excessed plenty of e tickets which is the same system.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I was taught to excess tickets held on an ITSO smartcard with a paper excess ticket, using 5 digits from the smartcard number instead of the ticket number, which is what they appear to have done at Tonbridge. I've never actually excessed a ticket on an ITSO card, but have excessed plenty of e tickets which is the same system.
Really how do you cancel the original eticket ? Or do you just trust that there is only one copy of the ticket

TEW

Established Member
Really how do you cancel the original eticket ? Or do you just trust that there is only one copy of the ticket
I'd only be excessing one whilst it's in use, so I would just scan the barcode, and there is an option to accept the ticket with excess.

father_jack

You could mark the mobile ticket "used" with the clipper app.

But that's always been an issue with a paper excess, I usually staple the excess to the held paper ticket (and advise it won't go through the barriers) but you can't staple to a mobile one obviously.

On a related note, I have in the past, say where the ticket presented for excess is an SSR portion getting excessed to SVR and already has staple marks or looks particularly tatty, marked the original as "excessed NLC xxxx" and date much to the disapproval of the passenger.....:D

island

Veteran Member
No problems with any gateline attendants anywhere, all went swimmingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.