• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessive time to buy a ticket after a journey?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I notice there have been no replies to my question, "what happens when the technology breaks down?", because it no doubt will at some stage.

No different to what happens now (in theory) if the TVMs break down. There would need to be more discretion exercised and it cannot be classed as an opportunity to pay.

Just because the technology may (hopefully only) occasionally break down is not a reason to ignore it altogether.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Unfortunately this is Britain and not Germany. If you had on board ticket machines the TOCs would use them to replace guards or on train staff. Vandals/Thieves/Fare Dodgers would smash them and/or steal from them so they would eventually (like an increasing number of machines at stations) become card only defeating the original object.

beeza1

No different to what happens now (in theory) if the TVMs break down. There would need to be more discretion exercised and it cannot be classed as an opportunity to pay.

That's what worries me, after reading some of the posts on this forum, the RPI's seem reluctant to believe some of the reasons, (I am assuming the reasons are genuine here), why people have no ticket, so I can't see "I had no signal on my phone", etc being any different.
I am not against new technology, I just think people should have an alternative if they don't wish to use it.
To go back to the original topic, the problem seems to me that the TOC's are all operating with insufficient staff, employ more staff and the problem of fare dodgers, ticket queues, etc would probably disappear overnight, but sadly profit seems to come before service.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
That's what worries me, after reading some of the posts on this forum, the RPI's seem reluctant to believe some of the reasons, (I am assuming the reasons are genuine here), why people have no ticket, so I can't see "I had no signal on my phone", etc being any different.
I am not against new technology, I just think people should have an alternative if they don't wish to use it.

Yes, however that is more an issue of inappropriate training by the TOCs concerned, amongst others, than the fault of the technology.

The situation is no worse than what it is now.

Unfortunately this is Britain and not Germany. If you had on board ticket machines the TOCs would use them to replace guards or on train staff. Vandals/Thieves/Fare Dodgers would smash them and/or steal from them so they would eventually (like an increasing number of machines at stations) become card only defeating the original object.

... which is why I feel it is only pipe dreams anyway, at least in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.