• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Explosion on train at Parsons Green, 15/9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

2HAP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
No service between Earls Court and Wimbledon, station evacuated, police say an "incident" without any details as to what it is

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Sounds like this was possibly a chemical reaction or a solvent igniting, more a flashover event than a "bang" explosion. Either way, very unpleasant, and hopefully people aren't badly hurt. There have been reports of facial injuries (maybe burns).

Lrd

Established Member
Reports internally that it was an E-Cig going boom but this is unconfirmed.

Domh245

Established Member
I've seen a picture that seems to show a gas cannister inside the bucket + all of the wires going into the bucket. That would seem a little sinister to me.

DJwAIOoXkAAOlfS.jpg

gavin

Sky news: "Counter-terrorism police & security services monitoring events at Parsons Green but it is currently a British Transport Police investigation"

paok

Looks like the explosive didn't detonate properly.

5 stations prior to Parsons Green where that could have been placed on the train so CCTV footage will no doubt have the person(s) responsible.

gavin

Sky News: "I am getting indications that this is going in the direction of a terrorist incident says @SkyMarkWhite"

TimboM

Established Member
BBC reporting that the Met know treating this as "terrorism".

EDIT: think we're all reading the breaking news :lol:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Declared terrorist quarter of an hour ago. Local hospital has been put in to major incident mode, possibly more in anticipation of further incidents rather than the limited number from the initial incident.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Police say it is a terror incident

Apologies for the cynicism, but that seems to be code for "a Muslim was involved".

We had the bizarre case of a non-Muslim person convicted for trying to set a bomb off on The Tube and it was said to be "not terrorism related".

Terrorism is trying to create terror, and there seems to be a normalised racism in the way it is defined/excluded.:cry:

LiftFan

I'm just glad that whatever the situation, it's obviously not worked like it was meant to (thinking back to 7/7 when the entire carriages were obliterated)

Domh245

Established Member
That picture of Parson's Green was broken in this Tweet at 08:39.

A similar picture, but the one that I've linked to more clearly shows the top of a gas canister inside the bucket. The other one just shows a flaming bucket.

Apologies for the cynicism, but that seems to be code for "a Muslim was involved".

We had the bizarre case of a non-Muslim person convicted for trying to set a bomb off on The Tube and it was said to be "not terrorism related".

Terrorism is trying to create terror, and there seems to be a normalised racism in the way it is defined/excluded.:cry:

I'd argue that the declaration of it being a terrorist incident is down to the fact that the police have seen that there is a fairly obvious improvised explosive device, rather than some domestic electrical device going haywire. No indication of any suspect at the moment - indeed I've seen plenty of supposition that the device was planted on the train earlier in the trip and then left on a timer.

Lrd

Established Member
Also Ealing branch delayed but no clue as to why. Anyone know if linked ?
Just delays across the whole line due to the Wimbledon - Edgware Road service being suspended

D60

Looks like the explosive didn't detonate properly.

5 stations prior to Parsons Green where that could have been placed on the train so CCTV footage will no doubt have the person(s) responsible.

Suggestion on the BBC that this may indeed have been a device/package that didn't fully detonate...
So intense flash rather than explosive blast...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.