• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Explosion on train at Parsons Green, 15/9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Apologies for the cynicism, but that seems to be code for "a Muslim was involved".

We had the bizarre case of a non-Muslim person convicted for trying to set a bomb off on The Tube and it was said to be "not terrorism related".

Terrorism is trying to create terror, and there seems to be a normalised racism in the way it is defined/excluded.:cry:

Bit early to start hand-wringing, surely?

I've been watching the coverage for an hour, the first use of the word "Muslim" I've seen in relation to the incident is in this post.

Oh and Islam is a religion, not a race.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QueensCurve

Established Member
I'd argue that the declaration of it being a terrorist incident is down to the fact that the police have seen that there is a fairly obvious improvised explosive device, rather than some domestic electrical device going haywire. No indication of any suspect at the moment - indeed I've seen plenty of supposition that the device was planted on the train earlier in the trip and then left on a timer.

Agreed. I just felt an uncontrollable urge to call out the normalised racism that conflates Islamism with terrorism while bizarrely exlcuding terrorism which has other motives. :oops:

Bromley boy

Established Member
Suggestion on the BBC that was indeed a device/package that didn't fully detonate...
So intense flash rather than explosive blast...

Mercifully it does indeed seem that this one could have been worse, in light of recent events.

A horrendous thing to be caught up in. Thoughts to those involved.

rmt4ever

Does it annoy anyone else that the keep calling it a tube train?

I wonder if they still would if it happened on the Richmond branch which shares its tracks with shorter "non-tube" trains!

Lrd

Established Member
So why specifically no service at all just Ealing to Turnham London bound?
There is also a signal failure at Acton Town (which I failed to notice). Piccadilly has severe delays also

neonison

I wonder if they still would if it happened on the Richmond branch which shares its tracks with shorter "non-tube" trains!

Indeed. Not to devalue the severity of the incident and thoughts to all involved the BBC continue to report 'Tube Train' and 'Parsons Green Train Station'.

I won't mention the lack of apostrophe in the Green belonging to one or more Parsons.

Bromley boy

Established Member

Underground = tube for most. It is particularly ironic given that this incident took place on an embankment.

Last edited:

KN1

Apologies for the cynicism, but that seems to be code for "a Muslim was involved".

We had the bizarre case of a non-Muslim person convicted for trying to set a bomb off on The Tube and it was said to be "not terrorism related".

Terrorism is trying to create terror, and there seems to be a normalised racism in the way it is defined/excluded.:cry:

Yes we know you can get the odd terrorism that isn't Islamic but statistically the chances of it being Islamic are very very high.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
RT reports that people on the train behind were forced to stay on for over an hour. Also it has not been yet reported on the amount of injured people

UPDATE: reports state 18 people have been taken to hospital. No fatalities

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromley boy

Established Member

You do seem to have some kind of agenda - virtue signalling? It is in very poor taste at this early stage.

The media are correctly describing this as what appears to be a terrorist incident, at this early stage. No suspects are known about as yet. What are they supposed to say!? The only person I've heard making a link to Islam is you. You are adding 2+2 and making 6.

I think what the other poster is driving at, something that may have escaped your notice, there have been several terrorist attacks in London this year perpetrated by fundamentalist Muslims. People may well make that connection in their own minds and who can blame them - nothing to do with the media correctly describing this event as "terrorism".

Last edited:

D60

Suggestion on the BBC that this may indeed have been a device/package that didn't fully detonate...
So intense flash rather than explosive blast...

Suggestion also now that this may have detonated prematurely on this inbound service...

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You're saying statistically most recent Uk terror incidents are not Islamic ?

Most terror or attempted terror attacks in the United Kingdom - by volume of incidents - are conducted by loyalist and nationalist paramilitaries in Northern Ireland.

BestWestern

Established Member
Bit early to start hand-wringing, surely?

I've been watching the coverage for an hour, the first use of the word "Muslim" I've seen in relation to the incident is in this post.

Oh and Islam is a religion, not a race.

An organisation calling itself 'Islamic State' is waging a declared war against much of the western world. It's hardly surprising that people notice the link, is it? A few decades ago people would likely have been equally quick to assume a link with people of an Irish origin. Thankfully, we tend so far to only be dealing with one bunch of lunatics at a time, so the suspects behind a terrorist attack are usually fairly easily predictable.

KN1

Most terror or attempted terror attacks in the United Kingdom - by volume of incidents - are conducted by loyalist and nationalist paramilitaries in Northern Ireland.

Yes they were once some years ago but recently they are anything but, and of course you know that full well.

Bromley boy

Established Member
An organisation calling itself 'Islamic State' is waging a declared war against much of the western world. It's hardly surprising that people notice the link, is it? A few decades ago people would likely have been equally quick to assume a link with people of an Irish origin. Thankfully, we tend so far to only be dealing with one bunch of lunatics at a time, so the suspects behind a terrorist attack are usually fairly easily predictable.

I agree.

I was responding to a poster who believes the media describing this incident as terrorism - without naming any suspects - is somehow a "racist" attack on Muslims.

QueensCurve

Established Member
...he media correctly describing this event as "terrorism".

They are quite properly describing this event as terrorism.

Please forgive me for jumping the gun or "virtue signalling". I am honestly wondering why it can be that someone who detonated a similar device to this could be "not motivated by terrorism". The Emergency services seem to have been very quick to say that the Parsons Green incident is motivated by terrorism.

To paraphrase our Supreme Leader "Terror is Terror".

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Trump has described the antagonists as "loser terrorists" according to RT

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromley boy

Established Member
They are quite properly describing this event as terrorism.

Please forgive me for jumping the gun or "virtue signalling". I am honestly wondering why it can be that someone who detonated a similar device to this could be "not motivated by terrorism". The Emergency services seem to have been very quick to say that the Parsons Green incident is motivated by terrorism.

To paraphrase our Supreme Leader "Terror is Terror".

I'm still at a loss as to what your point is, having read the above article.

This was a chap with learning difficulties who planted a device on a tube train which did not detonate. He was rightly sentenced to a lengthy prison sentence. The case was investigated by anti terrorist officers. The judge sentencing him, not the media, stated that his motivations were not terrorism related.

What does that any of that have to do with how the media have reported what was clearly a terrorist attack today, and your cries of racism?

matt_world2004

Established Member
I wonder why they evacuated the next district line train between stations instead of wrong roading it back to the previous station.

Dhassell

I wonder why they evacuated the next district line train between stations instead of wrong roading it back to the previous station.

Because it is a busy time of day.... The next train may have been a signal block behind and past the next station....

hwl

Established Member

Probably because the juice was turned off so nothing was going to move.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Trump has described the antagonists as "loser terrorists" according to RT

Given that the device apparently failed to operate as intended thankfully, he may be correct...

Though he also claims the perpetrator(s) were known to Scotland Yard. With no evidence to support that as yet. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.