• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

F1 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Double points for the last race - wouldn't it be ironic if Vettel wins the 2014 Championship.... at the last race.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
If the last race of the season was to be contested over 500km with refuelling stops I would be interested in having double points on offer for it, other FIA-sanctioned series such as V8 Supercars, the FIA European GT3 Championship, the now-defunct FIA GT Championship and the current World Endurance Championship all have plenty of history with awarding extra points for the showpiece endurance events.

If it's just a normal 305km race then it's a useless decision and I'll watch the WEC next year instead, F1 is running itself down the same way that the old CART Indycar series did and the WRC is doing currently.

As for the budget cap, I won't hold my breath based on the previous attempt at doing that.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Worth pointing out that some of the teams turned down other rules changes, for a second mandatory pit stop and an increase in the maximum weight of the driver and car.

I'm not sure I like the double points change, I'm not sure it achieves anything (had it been introduced twenty years ago it would only have changed three championship results since, 2003, 2008 and 2012).

The FIA think the 'real hardcore fans' will still watch while they try to get more 'new' fans watching. Tbh, the best thing they can do to get more new fans is make sure all races are on real free-to-view TV channels, rather than free-if-you've-paid TV channels, but I guess that won't happen any time soon.

JamesRowden

Established Member
I enjoy F1 since I find the way that it works very interesting and thus when Vettel was 'dominating' many of the races this year it did not matter since I could see many other people having a race. As far as I was concerned, Vettel was in a race of his own and therefore he was irrelevant, as the pictures on the TV showed during the race by hardly showing him (except at the end <(). Therefore it can be said that it is people's obsession with only being bothered about who comes first, rather than Vettel's 'dominance' that is responsible for those people finding it boring.

In other words, treat F1 as we do the railways, an interesting system that is constantly evolving. :D

The variety of car performances makes it more interesting to me since it adds another factor (otherwise you might well end up with the same driver winning every year anyway :lol:).

Zoe

Established Member
I note that the last race of the season next year will be Abu Dhabi rather than Brazil. I'm not sure this is a great idea since even though in theory the fact that double points are available could see more drivers wanting to try and overtake and finish in a higher position if it will affect the championship, overtaking at this circuit is difficult so it could end up quite boring with the race effectively be decided at the first corner or in the pits. Remember back in 2010 when Alonso got stuck behind Petrov.

Last edited:

Liam

Established Member
I note that the last race of the season next year will be Abu Dhabi rather than Brazil. I'm not sure this is a great idea since even though in theory the fact that double points are available could see more drivers wanting to try and overtake and finish in a higher position if it will affect the championship, overtaking at this circuit is difficult so it could end up quite boring with the race effectively be decided at the first corner or in the pits. Remember back in 2010 when Alonso got stuck behind Petrov.

Presumably Abu Dhabi have more money to throw at bernie...

JamesRowden

Established Member

I didn't find that race boring :D

JamesRowden

Established Member
I didn't find that race boring :D

Vettel came into the race 15 points behind Alonso. When Webber pitted Ferrari chose to try and cover it by pitting Alonso. In doing so they gave the Championship to Vettel. I would not have predicted that result before the pit stops occurred. Vettel still had to win the race to take Championship and so a car problem for Vettel or some people between him and Alonso could still have decided the Championship result.

Zoe

Established Member
Vettel came into the race 15 points behind Alonso. When Webber pitted Ferrari chose to try and cover it by pitting Alonso. In doing so they gave the Championship to Vettel. I would not have predicted that result before the pit stops occurred. Vettel still had to win the race to take Championship and so a car problem for Vettel or some people between him and Alonso could still have decided the Championship result.
Wouldn't you prefer to have it decided by racing on the track though rather than decisions on when to pit or a failure? Had it not be so difficult to overtake, Alosno could at least have had a chance of still winning it on the track rather than having the title effectively decided by pit stops.

Last edited:

JamesRowden

Established Member
Wouldn't you prefer to have it decided by racing on the track though rather than decisions on when to pit or a failure?

I think that having races potentially decided by all three makes it more interesting and unpredictable. It was partially decided on the track through Alonso's inability to pass the traffic as fast as the Ferrari tacticians thought and the other drivers' ability to stop him passing. Vettel also had to drive fast enough to beat Hamilton who was only 10 seconds behind him at the end.

Zoe

Established Member
I think that having races potentially decided by all three makes it more interesting and unpredictable. It was partially decided on the track through Alonso's inability to pass the traffic as fast as the Ferrari tacticians thought and the other drivers' ability to stop him passing. Vettel also had to drive fast enough to beat Hamilton who was only 10 seconds behind him at the end.
But at a circuit where overtaking is very difficult, you can be as close to the car in front as you want but it makes no difference if you can't overtake. Had it been a circuit where overtaking was easier then Alonso may well have been able to overtake Petrov. Even if Hamilton had caught Vettel, overtaking would have been a very diffrent matter. If overtaking is so difficult then even if you are the fastest driver you could still end up with no way to pass. I remember back to Monaco 1992 where Mansell had a late puncture and after going to the pits, rejoined and quickly caught Senna and tried repeatedly over the next few laps to overtake but could not.

Last edited:

JamesRowden

Established Member
But at a circuit where overtaking is very difficult, you can be as close to the car in front as you want but it makes no difference if you can't overtake. Even if Hamilton had caught Vettel, overtaking would have been a very diffrent matter. I remember back to Monaco 1992 where Mansell had a late puncture and after going to the pits, rejoined and quickly caught Senna and tried repeatedly over the next few laps to overtake but could not.

What about Monaco 1988 when Senna crashed has McLaren when Prost was chasing him?

Also, I would say that passing might be very difficult in some cases but it is not impossible (assuming that your opponent is human and is capable of making mistakes). Next season it should be easier with all the extra Energy recovery System (ERS) usage that is available and subsequently the greater variety of tactics that will be available to a chasing car.

Zoe

Established Member
Should overtaking need to rely on your opponent making a mistake though rather your ability as a faster driver/having a faster car? In the case of Coulthard/Bernoldi in Monaco 2001 I don't think there's much doubt who had the faster car. If overtaking was too easy though it could also get quite boring with the fastest cars just going straight to the front and staying there all race.

Last edited:

JamesRowden

Established Member
Should overtaking need to rely on your opponent making a mistake though rather your ability as a faster driver/having a faster car? In the case of Coulthard/Bernoldi in Monaco 2001 I don't think there's much doubt who had the faster car. If overtaking was too easy though it could also get quite boring with the fastest cars just going straight to the front and staying there all race.

I found that one very funny. :lol: In the end Pit Stops still allowed Coulthard to pass 5 of the cars that finished to finish in 5th and at the end was only one lap down on the winner.

Dennis

Established Member
..... If overtaking was too easy though it could also get quite boring......

What, like DRS overtakes - they spoil most good on-track battles IMHO. Less aero and more mechanical grip needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.