• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

F1 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
The new season of the world's fastest and most advanced sport is about to get underway in Melbourne, with First Practice just minutes away.

The headlines in the British media have been dominated by Hamilton's move to Mercedes, who as a team have made a stunning amount of progress during Pre-Season Testing. Could they really launch a serious title assault this year? Can they add to that elusive victory Rosberg claimed at Shanghai last year? Or will it be another year of disappointment for the Silver Arrows?

There's more. Who are the teams to watch? Will the Red Bull continue its charge, and can Vettel's Schumacher-esque streak continue? Will Lotus prove themselves worthy of regular podiums and victories, or will Grosjean crash too often again? Can the Prancing Horses keep going, and will Massa's season of two halves repeat itself, especially with talk of a 2014 seat circling the Italian media (as cited by the BBC)? And what about McLaren?

And what of the lower end? Can Caterham and Marussia finally force their way into the points, especially after their near-misses in Brazil? Can Sauber continue their outstanding form from last year without their prize asset? What of the other teams?

And of course, how much of a problem is having only nine live races on the BBC? I for one am not happy about that, but what can we do?

Whatever happens, if you haven't done so already be sure to sign up to the RSH Fantasy F1 Game, and Searle's RailUK Mini-League. It promises to be a lot of fun - and there's a 16GB iPad available as part of the wider RSH competition. The entry deadline is 1700 tonight (Friday), so get cracking!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrew bell

The new season of the world's fastest and most advanced sport is about to get underway in Melbourne, with First Practice just minutes away.

The headlines in the British media have been dominated by Hamilton's move to Mercedes, who as a team have made a stunning amount of progress during Pre-Season Testing. Could they really launch a serious title assault this year? Can they add to that elusive victory Rosberg claimed at Shanghai last year? Or will it be another year of disappointment for the Silver Arrows?

I feel this season will be deja-vu for Mercedes, strong start only to fade away during mid season, but it wont be as disappointing.

There's more. Who are the teams to watch? Will the Red Bull continue its charge, and can Vettel's Schumacher-esque streak continue? Will Lotus prove themselves worthy of regular podiums and victories, or will Grosjean crash too often again? Can the Prancing Horses keep going, and will Massa's season of two halves repeat itself, especially with talk of a 2014 seat circling the Italian media (as cited by the BBC)? And what about McLaren?

And what of the lower end? Can Caterham and Marussia finally force their way into the points, especially after their near-misses in Brazil? Can Sauber continue their outstanding form from last year without their prize asset? What of the other teams?

And of course, how much of a problem is having only nine live races on the BBC? I for one am not happy about that, but what can we do?

Lotus will be a strong contender, as well as the usual 3 suspects (Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren) but don't rule out an upset from Sauber or Williams. Toro Rosso have gone backwards in last year and will be interesting to see how they cope.

BBC showing only 9 races is a shame but they was meant to show the mystery race in June, which has been canned (the provisional calendar said it was New York race)

djo

So BBC will only show 9 races live. New customers to Sky will have to pay extra for the F1 channel ( only existing customers get it free with HD package now).

Is F1 purposely trying to kill itself in the UK?

Last year I increasingly found myself not bothering if I missed a highlights race weekend, losing interest. I wonder how many others are doing the same?

Comparitive ratings would be interesting to see...

David

newbie babs

Watching on Sky before I went to work this morning, like the coverage but love the BBC personalities.

Not been on line to look but what Happened to Mercedes, both cars went off before third practice I think and then I had to go to work. Anyone know what happened.

David

Established Member
Just looked at the practise highlights on the BBC website, and while 5 minutes of action out of the 3 hours does not paint a very good picture, it appears that the Ferrari's are looking strong, but once again, it's the Red Bulls that are flying .....

Mercedes are looking in reasonable shape as well, or were until Hamilton decided to go straight on at a corner and went into a gravel trap, while Rosberg pulled off to the side with a suspected gearbox problem.

Geezertronic

Established Member
So BBC will only show 9 races live. New customers to Sky will have to pay extra for the F1 channel ( only existing customers get it free with HD package now).

I have the white Sky Box, no HD, but have the full Sky Sports package and don't pay extra for Sky Sports F1

djo

Geezertronic:1397975 said:
I have the white Sky Box, no HD, but have the full Sky Sports package and don't pay extra for Sky Sports F1

Exactly you get it as existing customer, new customers will have to pay extra for it....

djo

Bungle73:1398018 said:
Exactly you get it as existing customer, new customers will have to pay extra for it....

No you don't. Did you not read my previous post??

Nope I missed that one. And their web site of coirse concurs with you. However I saw a flyer advertising the F1 channel that led me to my original assertion, clearly stated that deal was for existing customers only....

But happy to be corrected! Even so £31 a month for the 10 races not on BBC is too steep....

Bungle73

On Moderation
Nope I missed that one. And their web site of coirse concurs with you. However I saw a flyer advertising the F1 channel that led me to my original assertion, clearly stated that deal was for existing customers only....

But happy to be corrected! Even so £31 a month for the 10 races not on BBC is too steep....
A "flyer" from whom?

And the HD package is only ~£10 extra per month.

Harbon 1

So we got our first look at the cars on track:

Red Bull - fast (again...)
Ferrari - Close behind
McLaren - Work to do
Mercedes - Well, both decided they didn't want to be racing cars any more at about the same time.

Still, with the new tyres, I'm looking forward to another unpredictable season, and the wet qualifying tomorrow :D

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

Is F1 purposely trying to kill itself in the UK?

I think the Poisoned Dwarf and the BBC are doing quite well at killing it on Freeview.

The BBC, having heard, and then announcing on it's website, that the second US Grand Prix was in doubt, picked that as one of it's ten live Grand Prix. Perhaps they hoped it would be replaced by Turkey or France.

....Last year I increasingly found myself not bothering if I missed a highlights race weekend, losing interest. I wonder how many others are doing the same?....

I don't mind waiting for the highlights package on the BBC (better than paying for Sky coverage imo) and they do show brief highlights of Practice One and Two for all weekends, but what I really don't get is why there is no brief highlights for Practice Three? Not even when BBC have got the rights to show it live!

....Comparitive ratings would be interesting to see...

Apparently, last season Sky had less than 1m viewers for each race, including re-runs (or should that be re-ruins), totalling around 12m over the season. BBC highlights and live races were above 2m for every race with a season total of 62m. Viewing figures for both broadcasters apparently dropped for 16 races and grew by less than 1% on four race weekends that were shown live on both BBC and Sky (China, Valencia, Italy and Brazil). The total viewing figures for the season were reported to be down 16% on 2011 (the Bahrain figure was taken from 2010 as there was no race there in 2011) even with the extra race in the States.

Not been on line to look but what Happened to Mercedes, both cars went off before third practice I think and then I had to go to work. Anyone know what happened.

Gearbox issue for Rosberg, Hamilton's incident was less clear with no footage to view, but it is believed to be an issue with the floor of the car causing him to go off circuit.

Heinz57

I'm looking forward to the season, its going to be a good one.

I actualy beleive Mercedes could be the ones to look out for this season. Looking at their consistantly good times over winter testing. They may have had a few problems in practice today, but the times they set were good. Plus they have good drives.

Red Bull will again be there to give everyone a good run and no doubt Vettel has already put his towell on some of the races.

It'll be interesting to see how McLaren perform this year now Hamiltons moved on. They have Button still which is good. Put Perez? Hmmm

So only 9 live races on the beeb? That seems less than last year. Anyone know which ones they are?

Lampshade

Established Member
Shame they canned Valencia and kept Barcelona, though I'd probably be saying the reverse if Barcelona has gone, they're both abysmal tracks (1996 being a BIG exception to the rule).

Ivo

Established Member
Thanks.

How come they've removed New Jersey? That would have been a good race.

It won't be ready to stage a race. I seem to recall it was more due to commercial issues than anything else though.

Shame they canned Valencia and kept Barcelona, though I'd probably be saying the reverse if Barcelona has gone, they're both abysmal tracks (1996 being a BIG exception to the rule).

They'll be alternating remember ;) Valencia will be back in 2014.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
New customers to Sky will have to pay extra for the F1 channel (only existing customers get it free with HD package now).

It did not take Sky too long to see an extra source of new income from their never-ending campaign to grow their user-base, from what you say above. I suppose that their never-ending direct mail campaign will be "trumpeting" this in the best possible light to any new subscribers.

Bungle73

On Moderation
It did not take Sky too long to see an extra source of new income from their never-ending campaign to grow their user-base, from what you say above. I suppose that their never-ending direct mail campaign will be "trumpeting" this in the best possible light to any new subscribers.

For about the millionth time what he said is wrong. New subscribers do not have to pay extra if they take the HD pack. The same as its always been.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
For about the millionth time what he said is wrong. New subscribers do not have to pay extra if they take the HD pack. The same as its always been.

Not being an adherent to the "Sky altar of Mammon" and of the opinion that I will never change my views on that matter, I made a comment on a statement on a matter posted upon this very thread that so reflects my total cynicism regarding that particular organisation who have appeared to be to the broadcasting industry and organisations, what Tesco is to the retail food and produce trade.

LE Greys

Established Member
And a problematic, wet qualifying session (in case anyone is interested). We had Q1, with several front wings going missing, but Q2 and Q3 were delayed until tomorrow, 05:15 GMT on BBC1. I think I'd prefer if they just cancelled them altogether, with the grid decided on Q1 times, which would put Rosberg on Pole with Alonso second. Still, a wet race ought to be interesting no matter what happens.

andrew bell

And a problematic, wet qualifying session (in case anyone is interested). We had Q1, with several front wings going missing, but Q2 and Q3 were delayed until tomorrow, 05:15 GMT on BBC1. I think I'd prefer if they just cancelled them altogether, with the grid decided on Q1 times, which would put Rosberg on Pole with Alonso second. Still, a wet race ought to be interesting no matter what happens.

I would prefer that too but we all know it won't happen as you would get an objection from a few teams. I think they should do it like they do in MotoGP, if qualifying can't take place on that day they use the time from all practice sessions to decide the grid

Searle

Established Member
Due to the fact that I can't sleep, I'm up and watching the first grand prix, looking forward to it as well. Got my Sky Race Control at the ready! :D

NSE

Established Member
Personally the Sky offer is invaluable. Family can watch the F1 at home, and record it when its on early and still watch the whole thing later. I can then take my laptop and iPad to uni and never miss a qualifying session/race. Sadly I can't record it of course, and was up at 5:30 this morning, but I love Formula 1 and if I had to pay more to get access to all the races live then I'd do it.
Same as going to Silverstone each year, expensive, but its what I love.

LE Greys

Established Member
This sets up what might well be an interesting season. I hope that Lotus and Ferrari can keep pace with Red Bull this year. There's a possibility they were flattering to deceive in practice by running on light tanks. It will probably be settled in Sepang. Hamilton went for the wrong strategy, Raikkonen got it just right and that Lotus is light on its tyres.

David

Established Member
Hamilton went for the wrong strategy.

Hamilton badly flat spotted his front tyres while defending from Alonso, and had to pit straight away, about 5 or 6 laps earlier than planned, something he confirmed in the post race round up on the BBC. But other than that, the Mercedes looks considerably easier on the tyres compared to last year.

Ivo

Established Member
I have to say, by Melbourne standards that was almost a little disappointing. Lots of battles, yes, but few overtakes involving either skill or slip-up (almost all were due to DRS or outright speed differences), and no amusing accidents yielding an uncharacteristically low attrition rate. Still, not a bad start to the year.

Hamilton went for the wrong strategy

Nothing new there :lol:

And back at his old stomping ground, McLaren "mucked [Button] around" in Qualy (their words, not mine). Nothing new there either!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The Renault looks like it has good potential again this season.

Did I imagine it or did McLaren say last season that this year's apparently slow and tyre hungry car was designed with Lewis 'drives fast but can't preserve tyres' Hamilton in mind? (before he signed for Mercedes)

Status
Not open for further replies.