• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

F1 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Anyone know why Eddie Jordan was absent from the BBC F1 coverage in Australia? Can someone refresh my memory as to what Jake Humphreys is now doing?

Overall I thought the BBC coverage was okay.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrew bell

Anyone know why Eddie Jordan was absent from the BBC F1 coverage in Australia? Can someone refresh my memory as to what Jake Humphreys is now doing?

Overall I thought the BBC coverage was okay.

I think EJ only does the live races, or he wanted to celebrate St Patrick's day at home ;)
As for Jake he is going to be the main presenter on BT Premier league football coverage next season

Ivo

Established Member
I think EJ only does the live races, or he wanted to celebrate St Patrick's day at home ;)
As for Jake he is going to be the main presenter on BT Premier league football coverage next season

And if his F1 work is anything to go by he should do a fine job presenting the "inferior sport" (not that I will be watching mind).

We'll have to see how he handles his first match at Carrow Road :p

The quote "inferior sport" was first said by Christian Horner, towards the end of last season.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Sooooo. Vettel ignores team orders, Mark in a right huff, Rosberg argues with his team but accepts their decision anyway, and Alonso goes out with a front wing failure when he should have pitted to have it replaced.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, and Lewis did a Jenson, and Jenson, and Force India, had a problem with their nuts. :oops:

Last edited:

musicking1306

Sooooo. Vettel ignores team orders, Mark in a right huff, Rosberg argues with his team but accepts their decision anyway, and Alonso goes out with a front wing failure when he should have pitted to have it replaced.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, and Lewis did a Jenson, and Jenson, and Force India, had a problem with their nuts. :oops:

All in all a very interesting race. Vettel showed a side which was not out of character but a bit more determined than normal. Red Bull as a team though don't look like they have control over Vettle and he will have to realise that there is no I in TEAM.

Searle

Established Member
Was incredibly surprised that Alonso didn't come in for a new wing, and he got what he deserved for not. Just very glad that he didn't take out Webber, which could have easily happened if he was going a bit faster.

Vettel was a bit of an idiot too, I expect he's gonna get a bit of a bashing from the team for it, although I can understand why he did it. Props to Rosberg for just sitting back and doing what he was told, and not being childish about it after the race

Bungle73

On Moderation
Was incredibly surprised that Alonso didn't come in for a new wing, and he got what he deserved for not. Just very glad that he didn't take out Webber, which could have easily happened if he was going a bit faster.
He wouldn't have known how bad the damage was. The drivers can't see their front wing from the cockpit.

Liam

Established Member
He wouldn't have known how bad the damage was. The drivers can't see their front wing from the cockpit.

He must have felt it dragging along the ground, and noticed the much reduced front grip/downforce. He would have been told over the radio aswell. Ferarri are saying it was thir call not to bring him in, they were trying to wait until the time was right to chang onto slick aswell.

Ivo

Established Member
He must have felt it dragging along the ground, and noticed the much reduced front grip/downforce. He would have been told over the radio aswell. Ferarri are saying it was thir call not to bring him in, they were trying to wait until the time was right to chang onto slick aswell.

I've read this too - but it was a poor decision. So it may have cost them 30 seconds to bring him in - so what? 30 seconds lost is much better than a whole race lost. And for all we know, even if his car hadn't jumped onto the wing there is still every chance that further damage could have happened due to the reduced level of control Alonso had.

If I was Signor Domenicali at this point, I would be contemplating what a naïve decision that was, and one that must not be repeated.

455driver

Veteran Member
30 seconds and go back out on inters for a couple of lapsbefore pitting again or pit straight away, change onto slicks and be on the wrong tyres for the (still wet) conditions, how much time would that lot lose?

Bungle73

On Moderation
I doubt he would have felt it dragging, considering the horse power of the car he was driving. He probably felt the lack of downforce, but probably didn't realise the precarious nature of the damage.

LE Greys

Established Member
I doubt he would have felt it dragging, considering the horse power of the car he was driving. He probably felt the lack of downforce, but probably didn't realise the precarious nature of the damage.

Thing is, Ferrari really ought to have seen it. They had an entire lap of television coverage, apart from anything else. True, I've seen cars do an extra lap with the front wing hanging crooked (Mika Hakkinen at Monza once for instance), but this was really too much, and they must have made the decision.

The thing that surprises me is Red Bull's reaction to Vettel forcing his way through, and just how defenceless Webber was. OK, that's not a real surprise in DRS days, but I really think he didn't have the chances he deserved. If Vettel had fought his way past after a ten-lap battle, then anybody who can do that deserves a win, and anybody who can hold off a faster car for ten laps deserves respect, but Vettel caught up and breezed past without a care in the world. Then there's a big fuss about it afterwards. If it had gone the other way, Vettel would have every right to complain about the team holding him back (anyone remember Mansell and Piquet at Williams?). When race orders can be decided by a word over the radio that simply, then it's just silly.

Searle

Established Member
Thing is, Ferrari really ought to have seen it. They had an entire lap of television coverage, apart from anything else. True, I've seen cars do an extra lap with the front wing hanging crooked (Mika Hakkinen at Monza once for instance), but this was really too much, and they must have made the decision.

The thing that surprises me is Red Bull's reaction to Vettel forcing his way through, and just how defenceless Webber was. OK, that's not a real surprise in DRS days, but I really think he didn't have the chances he deserved. If Vettel had fought his way past after a ten-lap battle, then anybody who can do that deserves a win, and anybody who can hold off a faster car for ten laps deserves respect, but Vettel caught up and breezed past without a care in the world. Then there's a big fuss about it afterwards. If it had gone the other way, Vettel would have every right to complain about the team holding him back (anyone remember Mansell and Piquet at Williams?). When race orders can be decided by a word over the radio that simply, then it's just silly.

I would have thought that when it was producing sparks off of the ground, you know it's time to come in and change it!

My main issue with Vettel's tactics was the dangerous nature of his overtake. He didn't exactly breeze past Webber, he was inches from the barrier and from Webber, which was extremely dangerous, as they're on the same team. Also with bad history between them competing, it was a bit of a silly move in my eyes.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
My main issue with Vettel's tactics was the dangerous nature of his overtake. He didn't exactly breeze past Webber, he was inches from the barrier and from Webber, which was extremely dangerous, as they're on the same team. Also with bad history between them competing, it was a bit of a silly move in my eyes.

Being 25 is rather old for a claim of childish exuberance and losing oneself in the excitement of the moment.

455driver

Veteran Member
All I will say is Vettel is supposedly part of a "Team", maybe somebody needs to lend him a dictionary so he can look up the meaning of the word and also the phrase "Team player".

As for his "oh I am sorry", yeah course he is :roll:, I bet he wont let Webber have the 7 points back will he, incidentally if they had finished in the correct order they would be joint leaders on 33 points each.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....The thing that surprises me is Red Bull's reaction to Vettel forcing his way through, and just how defenceless Webber was. OK, that's not a real surprise in DRS days, but I really think he didn't have the chances he deserved. If Vettel had fought his way past after a ten-lap battle, then anybody who can do that deserves a win, and anybody who can hold off a faster car for ten laps deserves respect, but Vettel caught up and breezed past without a care in the world. Then there's a big fuss about it afterwards. If it had gone the other way, Vettel would have every right to complain about the team holding him back (anyone remember Mansell and Piquet at Williams?). When race orders can be decided by a word over the radio that simply, then it's just silly.

Red Bull claim both Vettel and Webber were told to hold position and save the engine. Webber did as he was told and turned the engine mode down, Vettel didn't.

455driver

Veteran Member
Red Bull claim both Vettel and Webber were told to hold position and save the engine. Webber did as he was told and turned the engine mode down, Vettel didn't.

Here is hoping in bites Vettel on the backside next time that engine is used! ;)

I have always rated Vettel as a racer but this has really dented my opinion of him as a sportsman.

LE Greys

Established Member
Without giving away any results, I'm happy with this one. Beginning to set up a multi-way title race.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Quite a decent race this morning. Webber has literally no luck whatsoever. There's rumours going around that he'll be leaving F1 at the end of the season, to compete in the World Endurance Championship.

Sergio Perez reminded me of Andy Neate from the BTCC. He was absolutely bloody awful today. :roll:

And has anyone told Esteban Gutierrez that the correct way to slow down an F1 car is by using the brake pedal, instead of using the car in front as a brake. :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
Quite a decent race this morning. Webber has literally no luck whatsoever.

If I was in F1, I would be careful to analyse Webber's moves through every race - because my luck dictates the same would happen to me! Luck is always a major factor with everything (those who claim you make your own luck need a reality check), not just in F1, but it does affect some more than others. Mind you, I thought his strategy at the start was spot-on - exactly what I would have done.

There's rumours going around that he'll be leaving F1 at the end of the season, to compete in the World Endurance Championship.

I was wondering about that before the race started, with Ricciardo the msot likely bet in my opinion. Having been at the front since 2009, I can't see him accepting a lower drive - but I can't see him being at Red Bull (unless Vettel isn't) next year either.

Sergio Perez reminded me of Andy Neate from the BTCC. He was absolutely bloody awful today. :roll:

And has anyone told Esteban Gutierrez that the correct way to slow down an F1 car is by using the brake pedal, instead of using the car in front as a brake. :lol:

It wasn't the best day for Mexico was it? :lol:

LE Greys

Established Member
Quite a decent race this morning. Webber has literally no luck whatsoever. There's rumours going around that he'll be leaving F1 at the end of the season, to compete in the World Endurance Championship.

This seasons first Andrea de Cesaris Trophy nomination! I think Gutierrez unsighted himself somewhat, although I haven't seen an on-board shot so I can't really say.

But poor old Webber does seem to be joining the ranks of the unlucky, with Martin Brundle, Derek Warwick and a number of others. I seem to remember similar things happening in the past, but they've taken to retiring the car immediately instead of scrambling back to the pits on 3 wheels (as Brundle did at Suzuka once).

Really, Red Bull got their strategy badly wrong, and Ferrari got it right this time.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
The Williams team depress me this season. If only they had made much better use of last year's car, they might be in a stronger place for this season. But thanks to Maldonado crashing into damn near everything after his win, and Bruno Senna being one of the worst F1 drivers I've ever seen, they didn't. :-x

andrew bell

The Williams team depress me this season. If only they had made much better use of last year's car, they might be in a stronger place for this season. But thanks to Maldonado crashing into damn near everything after his win, and Bruno Senna being one of the worst F1 drivers I've ever seen, they didn't. :-x

I think they had missed a big trick during the close season, they should of got Heikki Kovalainen instead of either promoting Bottas or making Maldonado the reserve driver. Williams lack the experience driver to help them out and that is where I think they are struggling

Ivo

Established Member
You have to feel sorry for Maldonado in Qualy this time around. To set the exact same time as your teammate, only to see him progress to the next round of Qualy and you lose out due to him recording the time first, must be really depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.