• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fake details to a ticket insperctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I suspect that some of what we're now being told isn't necessarily totally true. It could even be a wind up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blue sabre

Why would the machine tell you that a hotlisted, registered Oyster card was unregistered? I am totally confused.
I dont know what it would do, that is what I was trying to understand. The OP said the card showed up as unregistered - but would that be the case if it was blocked or hotlisted or whatever and they checked? That would explain both why it said unregistered and also why it why it wouldn't work on the barriers.
I'm not from the TfL area though so I've no idea how this works.

island

Veteran Member
I dont know what it would do, that is what I was trying to understand. The OP said the card showed up as unregistered - but would that be the case if it was blocked or hotlisted or whatever and they checked? That would explain both why it said unregistered and also why it why it wouldn't work on the barriers.

No, no it wouldn't. If it's registered, then it will not show up as unregistered.

deltic1989

Established Member
So picking up an Oyster Card that isn't yours, discovering that there is money on it and using it is perfectly ok now a days. I'll remember that next time I find a credit/debit card.

londonboi198o5

On Moderation

What happens when a registered oyster card is reported lost/stolen is this:

The registered owner will call oyster explain the problem provide there account details to oyster. Oyster then confirm the card that is reported as lost/stolen and then put a block on that card. If someone finds that card if they touch it on a POM BEFORE touching a gate it will show up on the POM as a normal registered oyster card. The minute a person then touches a hot-listed/blocked oyster card on a gate it will automatically become disabled/blocked as the system has now located this card as been used therefore will stop it from been used as the signal sent from oyster will now deactivate it.
If the person then returns to the machine it will still show up on the screen any balance that is on the card the historys etc however the function to now top up will be removed.

There is a code that appears on the gate for staff to know when a card has been blocked however I don't wish to disclose this code for obvious reasons.

Hope this helps

blue sabre

The registered owner will call oyster explain the problem provide there account details to oyster. Oyster then confirm the card that is reported as lost/stolen and then put a block on that card. If someone finds that card if they touch it on a POM BEFORE touching a gate it will show up on the POM as a normal registered oyster card. The minute a person then touches a hot-listed/blocked oyster card on a gate it will automatically become disabled/blocked as the system has now located this card as been used therefore will stop it from been used as the signal sent from oyster will now deactivate it.
If the person then returns to the machine it will still show up on the screen any balance that is on the card the historys etc however the function to now top up will be removed.

There is a code that appears on the gate for staff to know when a card has been blocked however I don't wish to disclose this code for obvious reasons.

Hope this helps
Yeah, it does. Cheers for that.

paddington

So picking up an Oyster Card that isn't yours, discovering that there is money on it and using it is perfectly ok now a days. I'll remember that next time I find a credit/debit card.

If it's unregistered, it's equivalent to cash.

A google search will quite easily reveal this code.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

................The minute a person then touches a hot-listed/blocked oyster card on a gate it will automatically become disabled/blocked as the system has now located this card as been used therefore will stop it from been used as the signal sent from oyster will now deactivate it.

Surely a better way would be to allow the person through the barrier and then block the card so that they can not get out at their destination. If you do not allow them into the system in all likelihood they will about turn and disappear. If you let them in there is a good chance you will catch them at the other end.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Maybe that's what actually happened? And the dodgy Oyster was quickly hidden when it didn't work.

Olvax

It was unregistered, she held it up to the terminal and it said unregistered ehich Is why she didn't hand it in. I'm not saying its alright to use it, if I found 40 quid or more on the ground I'd hAnd it in buy if it was -5, who's going to find it? I know i guess it's wrong, but if I lost 15 quid I'd never bother calling the police over it, it's not enough to bother with

Status
Not open for further replies.