• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fantastic news!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It has been revealed at EOL that Class 37s are safe on the West Highland sleeper for the forseeable future. Some more drivers have started training on 37s and there are no current plans to switch to 67 haulage, the 67 plans are "dead" ! :)

There will be more trips like this....

...next Summer.... :D :D

Absolutely brilliant news!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Great news :D

This hopefully means that these great locos will survive on regular passenger services for many years to come. I may have to beg to be allowed to go up there next summer ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
laverack222 said:
This hopefully means that these great locos will survive on regular passenger services for many years to come. I may have to beg to be allowed to go up there next summer ;)
I hope you're right, but I would NOT count on it at all. I am very happy that we're getting another Summer (by the looks of it), I wouldn't like to speculate what could happen in a few years' time.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sweet! And, if I may be working-class again for a moment: Get in there my son! (heart-of-wessex will know I was saying that a fair bit on Monday)

37s on the FW sleeper sounds good, I'll have a chance at bashing one now when I'm awake for it! Properly awake that is, unlike last time! It might not be 417 next time too!

Thanks for the news yorkie!

Jordy

Established Member
Next summer I MUST come, its simply not optional!! This is fantastic news, and I do hope Max is right and they are around for many years to come. :D :D :D

Jordy

andrewmay

This is certainly great news and provides me with another oppourtunity to go there in less of a rush and maybe on a sunnier day! I would love to have 37's running on this service for many years to come but knowing the railways I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Cheers,
Andrew

Dave A

Yes. I won't miss it again! Might even be doing it twice! :shock: :P

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
London Tube said:
I may do the journey there and back on the 37 and the Jacobite up there as one journey (warning: this is expensive, you're talking £70 to get there and £25 on top for the steamer, not including berths).

And another journey I may get the Highland Chieftain to Kingussie, taxi to Tulloch and then the 37 south from there. (This is lot cheaper as you only sleep one way and obviously don't have the steamer cost).

One in half term (early june), the other in Summer (late July).

I've done the trip a few times now, and each time I've thought 'This is my last', now I can't wait to go again. Yes, it's that good.

Jim

Established Member
yorkie said:
London Tube said:
I may do the journey there and back on the 37 and the Jacobite up there as one journey (warning: this is expensive, you're talking £70 to get there and £25 on top for the steamer, not including berths).

And another journey I may get the Highland Chieftain to Kingussie, taxi to Tulloch and then the 37 south from there. (This is lot cheaper as you only sleep one way and obviously don't have the steamer cost).

One in half term (early june), the other in Summer (late July).

I've done the trip a few times now, and each time I've thought 'This is my last', now I can't wait to go again. Yes, it's that good.

"Dad... Can I go :?: "

I am going to try my hardest ever to do 1 of these meets this year

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You KNOW I'll be there! I'm already saving up! I'm planning now on going there in December, instead of doing the HC.

Once the dates are set yorkie, let me know them and I'll see if I can be there! I'll ensure I go actually, can't afford to miss them!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Indeed... :lol:

I might not though do it in December, I'm preferring to do the tour of London on the 17th and 18th of December instead. I'll ensure it's done before the end of the 37s though!

Chris

I was passing through Fort William last weekend and I must say it was great seeing the 37 & sleeper stock. Too many DMU's around now, not that i don't like them but they are everywhere! It was good too look in a cab window and actually see dirt and grease instead of shiny grey plastic! ;)

joy54.gen

The amount of times I've gone up there thinking that they will be ending any day now, when all along they were staying for ages, I just hope we'll get some more great trips on Britains most beautiful line.

Met Driver

Established Member
I'm hoping to include the Oban line when I next go. I'd like to do the Glasgow sleeper, followed by a unit to Oban, another back to Chrianlarich then up to Fort William (maybe Mallaig as well if timings permit), then the 37s back.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm definately hoping to do Oban and thus finish the lines in the West Highlands on my next visit across the border. I may do the same as you there Seth, although I doubt highly you'll get up to Mallaig and back in the same day too!

joy54.gen

I was gonna do Oban on decent traction last weekend, having only been there on a 156, but due to unforeseen circumstances was unable to make it there.

Met Driver

Established Member
It would be great if the sleeper split at Chrianlarich with 37s taking a portion to Fort William and Oban, but I guess that's wishful thinking...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Seth said:
It would be great if the sleeper split at Chrianlarich with 37s taking a portion to Fort William and Oban, but I guess that's wishful thinking...
Very much so. Even if the demand was there, and even if the extra loco was no problem, it would be impossible as the FTW sleeper is already at the minimum length it can be (with 1 lounge car and 1 seated car along with 2 sleepers), while the combined train at Euston is the longest it can be (so much so that Mk3s can't be used for the seated coaches).

Status
Not open for further replies.