• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares valid to Newhaven Marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractakid

NVM has been removed (years back) from the database. Are there tickets left that can force Southern to run a replacement taxi? If so, can this be at any time of day or only mirroring the empty train that runs?

Possible tickets might include Downloader, Daysave, All Line Rover?

Purely theoretical. I have no immediate plans to visit the area, and if I did I would probably do the sensible thing and walk!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjohnson

NVM-Boundary Zone 6 (but curiously not the other way round) still exists according to brfares.

soil

Established Member
There is also Newhaven Marine - Belfast NI and various SailRail Stndby fares.

Muzer

Established Member
It's slightly depressing, this whole closure of stations by stealth thing. It just seems odd how there are stations like this and Norton Bridge that will probably never be re-opened, and yet have not been closed.

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
According to Wki, Newhaven Marine is closed due to an unsafe roof. Perhaps, due to an era of ferry travel that will never return, this will never be fixed?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
AIUI the ferries still operate but with the foot passenger terminal in a different part of the docks. So there's no longer any need or purpose to travel to the Marine (or Harbour) station, because for foot passengers they would have gone too far past where they need to be:

Q6. What train station do I need to alight from, Newhaven Harbour or Newhaven town station?
A6. You need to get off at Newhaven Town station and then you have a 3 minute walk to the terminal.

http://newhavenferryport.co.uk/faq.htm

It doesn't seem the closure of NVM is intended to reduce the ability to use the ferries...

Last edited:

Birdbrain

You can get the journey planners to recognise Newhaven Marine but I can't find any tickets that it will sell me!

westv

Established Member
It doesn't seem the closure of NVM is intended to reduce the ability to use the ferries...

No, it's more that the large reduction in ferry use over the last two decades could lead to the closure of Harbour and Marine stations.

34D

Established Member
According to Wki, Newhaven Marine is closed due to an unsafe roof. Perhaps, due to an era of ferry travel that will never return, this will never be fixed?

This canopy was removed two or three years ago I believe.

paul1609

Established Member
It's slightly depressing, this whole closure of stations by stealth thing. It just seems odd how there are stations like this and Norton Bridge that will probably never be re-opened, and yet have not been closed.

The ferry terminal was moved to about 300 yards walk from Newhaven Town Station nearly 10 years ago.
The is no reason to use Newhaven Marine anymore it's a car park.
Newhaven Harbour now serves a small industrial estate and nothing much else.
Its very likely with the withdrawal of the French Local Government Subsidy that the ferry service will be discontinued at the end of the summer season and quite likely that the Port of Newhaven itself will close since the ferry is the majority of its business.

a1a.a1a

Its very likely with the withdrawal of the French Local Government Subsidy that the ferry service will be discontinued at the end of the summer season

According to the Argus (for what its worth) the subsidy has been re-instated. Googled it - 2/4/13.

tony6499

There is nowhere a replacement taxi can run to if you got out at the Harbour station, there is no pedestrian access at the Marine.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Why don't they simply close the station. I mean they closed many in the 1960s and before and that must have cost money. Even Tunbridge Wells West closed in 1985.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Then why wasn't Tunbridge Wells West kept open? Or does multiple stations mean more chance of closure. There again Reddich South and Denton are still going.

That's not to say your not correct Eagle, just seems odd. May be closure costs were cheaper in 1985.

paul1609

Established Member
Then why wasn't Tunbridge Wells West kept open? Or does multiple stations mean more chance of closure. There again Reddich South and Denton are still going.

That's not to say your not correct Eagle, just seems odd. May be closure costs were cheaper in 1985.

Tunbridge Wells West had everything going for its closure. The main Hastings Line was being electrified and it saved the cost of resignalling Grove junction.
The closure released a huge parcel of premium land at the Western end of Tunbridge Wells town centre. The line had been run down and in the couple of times I managed to visit there were hardly any passengers by then most people had changed to bus when the Uckfield Lewes line had closed.

sarahj

Established Member
Marine is a handy turn back siding when its not possible, or needed to go down the line to Seaford. The ghost train used to run Brighton to Lewes, then empty to marine, then empties back to lewes, then stopper to Brighton in the evening, with a 20 or so min wait at marine. These days it runs in the morning, running to Lewes, empties to Marine, Marine to Town, then in service from Town to Brighton. Turn around at Marine is 5 mins, ie enough to change ends.
As noted, Marine serves nothing, the ferry terminal moved. For other useage, Harbour is the one, served every 30 mins (the odd train PM rushhour misses it out). But for the odd person that uses it, well. TBH I see more tickets to Harbour than passengers using it, and those that have them, often are passengers for the ferry, who should get off at Town. You do get the odd one or two who insist on using Harbour for the ferry even after you tell them both face to face and over the PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.