• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favorite International Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

EWS 58038

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

metrocammel

Whoever said München Hbf is 'pretty' wants shooting. It's an ugly, post-war utilitarian dive. I must agree with others, Berlin Hbf is an impressive structure, though a bit too much use of glass panelling for my liking.

Frankfurt am Main Hbf is probably the most impressive German station in terms of a grand train-shed, however, I've seen photographs of Leipzig station, which is also very impressive it seems!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I have to say that the passenger lounge at Waterloo was better than the new one at St.P. However St.P is much handier for KX and Midland Mainline

Köln Hbf is a bit shabby but still rather impressive.

Csalem

I like Koln Hbf. I'm going to Berlin in April for the first time so will be able to comment on it when I come back.

Wasn't overly impressed by any Paris stations, though I was intrigued and fascinated by Châtelet – Les Halles.

Bedpan

Established Member
I'm surprised that Milano Centrale hasn't received more votes, I thought the whole place oozed the atmosphere of 19th Century opulence, the ticket hall and then up the wide staircase to the train shed. The only downside was that the train I wanted to catch (back to Bergamo for the airport) seemed to have disappeared into the ether, no message on the departure board to say it was cancelled, it just didn't appear. I was going to say that this sort of thing could only happen in Italy but in fact it has also happened to me at Luton re some EMT trains, the only difference being that at Luton, its a pretty safe bet the train will leave from platform 5, whereas at Milan, it could have been any one of 20+ platforms, or possibly diverted to run from Lambrate.

ert47

I haven't been to many international stations, but my favourite one has to be Ebisu on the Tokyo JR.

I spent quite some time in Tokyo and was surprised that they play a little jingle for when the train arrives and when the train is about to depart.
The music played has a different arrangement for each platform, northbound and southbound platforms.

I just thought the tune for ebisu is awesome;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzHlp7t_-KY

Video clip of the station;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I93KQA7pCiw

coupwotcoup

Wasn't overly impressed by any Paris stations, though I was intrigued and fascinated by Châtelet – Les Halles.

And there I was thinking it was just me. Not been to Gare de l'est for 20 years so cannot comment, but the rest of the Paris transit system sucks.
Looks decrepit and is need of a massive overhaul.
The Metro seems to have got worse, with ticket machines that rarely work and for some weird reason I always end up getting lost trying to follow the Grand Lignes signs at Gare de Lyon.
I would prefer to travel south via Lille, but of course since the inception of St Panc, the earliest train arrives there is 30 minutes later than the Waterloo era. Quality.
:(:(

Lille Europe is large and more akin to an airport, but pleasant and airy and Portbou has always fascinated me, but those steps climing up to it are a killer for us smokers and why so many staff for just a few trains a day?
Calais Frethun.. what is the point of its existence?

Aussie_Rail

Kuranda in Queensland.

Kuranda? wow, never expected to see that name mentioned. I went there last December, did the Kuranda railway trip when I was in Cairns. Nice enough place, and glad to see its one of your favorite stations.

My favorite international stations, there are not too many I've been to, so the first one is Hua Lamphong station in Bangkok, Thailand and Victoria Station in London, I have a vauge memory of it and from what I can remember, I was really impressed.

route101

Established Member
My favourite Spanish station is Madrid Atohca . Im looking forward to seeing Berlin Hauptbahnhof in september.

renfespotter

Re Madrid Atocha Is there a vantage point east of the station to watch trains arriving and departing? Its hard tell from Google Earth.

Valencia is another great Spanish Station love the architecture

The Snap

Established Member
Berlin Hauptbahnhof. A fabulous station, in a fabulous city!

I was very, very impressed when I went to Berlin a couple of years ago, not least with the superb train/metro system! :) Puts this country's system to shame IMHO.

Csalem

I was very, very impressed when I went to Berlin a couple of years ago, not least with the superb train/metro system! :) Puts this country's system to shame IMHO.

I like Hbf except I had one problem with it when I was there - there appeared to be only one ATM in the entire station, which was out of service. I was there during the Ash Crisis and I ran around all three levels trying to find a working ATM to get money. As for their metro system - U55 has to be the best line in the world!!
http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p64405054.html
http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p64405093.html

route101

Established Member
Im very much looking forward to berlin . any interesting lines / traction?

Goldfish62

Established Member

Generally agree - except for the shambles the S-Bahn has been in recently with the cracked wheels. Also the window etching everywhere is terrible.

But mustn't grumble - overall a fantastic and user-friendly system.

route101

Established Member
Budapest Keleti is my fave , great building and a wide range of destinations. Belgrade was somewhat of a letdown but still has oldskool character Didnt like dingly Sofia or SKOPJE.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Budapest Keleti is my fave , great building and a wide range of destinations. Belgrade was somewhat of a letdown but still has oldskool character Didnt like dingly Sofia or SKOPJE.

I recommend Barcelona Estacio de Franca - classic all-over roof and the station has recently been restored - it's wonderful. Avoid Sants, the main station, though - dingy hell-hole along the lines of New Street.

Csalem

Im very much looking forward to berlin . any interesting lines / traction?

The shots of my visit to Berlin are found below. I travelled around the city a bit but didn't visit any freight hotspots. But I'd pop out to Lichtenberg in the evening to see the 232/233 bring the sleeping stock in. I believe it is the only working the loco does every day. In the evening it brings the stock down the line from the sleeper depot, and in the morning brings it back!

http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/c1840493_208.html

route101

Established Member
Thanks . I was thinking of taking the train to Warsaw as well.

Csalem

I did get the train to Frankfurt Oder, and then walked across the river to Slubice (sp?) and spent ten minutes there before crossing the river again re-entering Germany. Was able to tell all my Polish friends in work I was in Poland!

renfespotter

I recommend Barcelona Estacio de Franca - classic all-over roof and the station has recently been restored - it's wonderful. Avoid Sants, the main station, though - dingy hell-hole along the lines of New Street.

Agree about Barcelona Estacio de Franca but so very few trains to see.

Also agree about Sants but at least there is plenty of trains to observe.

I've often thought of trying to find a vantage point at Santa Eulalia to view the Sants approaches.

Although the traffic is less at Vilanova i la Geltru there are unrestricted views from the tables outside the station bar, and with the railway museum just across the road its my kind of town. (the beers good too)

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Berlin Hauptbahnhof is indeed great, however I wish they hadn't built the unsightly hotel next to the southern entrance.

As for things to see in Berlin, I like the u-bahn bridges over the north-south railway line between Nollendorf Platz & Gleisdreieck (U1/U2). Also, the way U1 goes through the BVG building after Gleisdreieck and then past the Deutsches Technical Museum, with it's Dakota suspended from the roof.

The Deutsches Technical Museum is worth a visit too, it has a load of steam engines and a prototype ICE power car, plus ships, planes & cars and a doodle bug (V1)

Status
Not open for further replies.