• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Electrostar

What is your favourite Electrostar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesC357

357 for me. My local and by far most ridden on trains, as well as being the inspiration for my name on here

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatvoyager

Established Member
My favourite is the 357, I like the interior and the fact that it has the Turbostar style front end.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Southern and ex Thameslink 377 (with the exception of 377/6 and 377/7 - which I'll explain below).

Very comfortable seats, lovely trains to ride. Always relaxing. Best seats ever on a UK commuter train.

I'll say the same thing for the c2c 357s and Southeastern 375s. LO's 378s are also comfortable in my opinion.

Now for the 377/6 and 377/7. These have the more uncomfortable Fainsa seats (just like the Siemens Thameslink 700 which I find very uncomfortable). 377/6 and 377/7 are slightly better but no way comfortable compared to the earlier 377s. What a pathetic downgrade for a very nice train. Just like the 387s.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Also the first class is in an odd position on the 387s.
And on the newer 377s too (377/6 and 377/7), to which I will fully agree!

I once boarded a 377/6 in Dorking going home to Horsham, and I was by mistake sitting in first class without even realising! Only a few minutes after did I walk to the rest of the train to sit in standard class.

321over360

for mainline the 357s will always be the best of the units as the seating is the best on these units, however for Metro routes, the 376s of Southeastern will always be better than the 378s of LO, as although the SE 376s dont seem heavily padded, they are alot more comfortable to sit on for over 20 minutes than the rock hard seating specified by TFL for the 378s (which were similary specced on the 345s for Crossrail)

I chose 375 because I do many long journeys on them and I have always found them to be very comfortable and have excellent seat/window alignment.
unless you are travelling on a 375/9 with the awful ironing board seating

py_megapixel

Established Member
for mainline the 357s will always be the best of the units as the seating is the best on these units
From photos it looks like they have the same Chapman seating as some of the Sprinters. It's really not very good. Legroom is poor and the padding isn't good enough. Not in that they're not enough of it, but rather it compresses too much when you sit on it so the seat feels sort of uneven.

greatvoyager

Established Member
for mainline the 357s will always be the best of the units as the seating is the best on these units, however for Metro routes, the 376s of Southeastern will always be better than the 378s of LO, as although the SE 376s dont seem heavily padded, they are alot more comfortable to sit on for over 20 minutes than the rock hard seating specified by TFL for the 378s (which were similary specced on the 345s for Crossrail)

unless you are travelling on a 375/9 with the awful ironing board seating
I quite like the seating on 357s too, the only 3+2 seats I find to be okay.

Dazzer390

My favorite electrostar is the Class 375 because it's a thrill when I get to ride them as I usually rode on the Class 377 and Class 378.
Dazzer390

Status
Not open for further replies.