• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Heritage Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benbo

Does anybody on this forum have a paticular favourite heritage line? If so why? I have been to very few heritage lines in the UK, so am looking for some ideas/feedback. Mine is The Bluebell Railway in West Sussex, I got married there in Jan 2008, so would highly reccomend a visit there :D

Ben

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Never really had a particular favourite. Liked quite a few, but always found heritage railways a little dull because of the slow speeds. Best for traction, period ambience (1960s) and decent distances I always found the East Lancs. Best for friendliness and beer is the K&WVR.

BUT.... all this was until the other week when I went on the Welsh Highland Railway. This railway is so much better than any other I've ever been on that I can't praise it highly enough, nor can I be go too overboard in my urging everyone to go on it as his earliest convenience.

duffman82

I'd have to say the East Lanc's Gets my vote been there 5-6 times for there diesels galas never been disappointed, got some of my 1st haulages behind some class BR Loco's such as hymeks, Westerns, Deltic's, Rats got my first Hoover in this years gala. Good times.

Done the SVR, Peak Rail, KWVR to name a few others.

LE Greys

Established Member
For scale and purpose, the Severn Valley. It's a big line with big engines and long trains. What's more, they have full rakes of pre-nationalisation coaches, not plain old MkIs. You could say the same of the KWVR, but I haven't been there for a long time, so I can't compare.

For pure fun and eccentricity, the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch. It may only be 25mph, but you're so low to the ground that it feels like being in a Eurostar. Then there's the 'main line' atmosphere in Hythe or New Romney stations. There's also their attitude, like building a tiny armoured train in WWII.

However, my favourite is the North Norfolk. The reason, I spent so many childhood holidays in Norfolk, and sometimes did the last leg of the journey over the NNR. It was within walking range of a place in Weybourne where we once stayed (they let me look round the shed). Even today, I usually do the last leg of the journey steam-hauled, on one occasion after arriving at Gatwick and a meeting at the DfT. Getting on at Sheringham in a full business suit and carrying a briefcase got some funny looks, especially when I almost went on the footplate.

Benbo

Thanks for the responses so far. Great to have some ideas about places to go etc. The RHDR is around 1 1/2 hours from where I live in Sussex & it is one that I am keen to travel on as/when time allows. The same applies to the Severn Valley Railway too as well. Has anyone travelled on the Kent & East Sussex Railway at all?

Teaboy1

Heritage usually means folk in period costume, Morris dancers and bearded blokes ( and women) do I tend to steer clear.
The KWVR and NYMR get my thumbs up anytime.
Can certainly recommend the WHR, super scenery, big engines and plenty other stuff to do (plus you get the FR as a bonus).
Only slight niggle is it takes nearly 4 hr to do round trip. But if you are going to go, wait until kids are back at school and do the Super Power Weekend on 11 & 12 Sept, should be good!!

Access is not too bad if traveling by car, the North Wales Freeway from Chester to Canarffvon ?? gets you there pdq.

4SRKT

Established Member
Heritage usually means folk in period costume, Morris dancers and bearded blokes ( and women) do I tend to steer clear.
Can certainly recommend the WHR, super scenery, big engines and plenty other stuff to do (plus you get the FR as a bonus).
Only slight niggle is it takes nearly 4 hr to do round trip. But if you are going to go, wait until kids are back at school and do the Super Power Weekend on 11 & 12 Sept, should be good!!

Access is not too bad if traveling by car, the North Wales Freeway from Chester to Canarffvon ?? gets you there pdq.

When I did it I went one way, then took the FR on to Blaenau. OK, I had to walk 3 1/2 miles from Pont Croesor into Porthmadog, but this won't be necessary next year. The FR people seemed to think this walk was pretty hardcore behaviour, and the ticket clerk implied that he didn't know of any other passengers who'd done it, although I find this hard to believe. OTOH, given that the average age of passengers on the FR that day was about 65, maybe it's not so far fetched.....

I took a bus from Llandudno Junction through to Caernarfon at about 08:00. My train from Blaenau got back into the Junction just before 16:00, so not a bad timing all in all.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Really like the paington dartmouth but more cos i spend alot of time on it as a kid on holiday at dawlish. I really like north norfolk i think it's really scenic.

chris89

Established Member
A mix for me. No overal fav.

East Somerset Railway: Since first preserved railway i volunteered on :)
Severn Valley Railway: Near were i live now and just fantastic scereny.
Strathspey as well.

Chris

Nigel Cliff

For trains and scenery the FR & WHR are indeed superb for customer care and staff manners especially towards photographers my personal experiences have been less that perfect

MrCub

I love the Great Central - Loughborough to Leicester. However, the West Somerset I found to be very disappointing indeed.

Bittern

Established Member
The only three I've travelled on are the IOW, Bo'ness and Strathspey. Not been on the IOW since I was a kid and hardly remember it, but I've been on the others this year.

The Bo'ness Railway was very nice. I got Morayshire who is a fantastic loco and the first Steam loco I've been behind in many years, and 26024 who is my first ever diesel loco that's not a HST (and even then, only ever been on ONE HST! O_O)

The Strathspey Railway and it's history has really captured my eye, and I'm not just talking about the railway that's there today, but the complete Highland Railway route from Aviemore to Inverness via Forres. I love how most of the old trackbed of it and at least one of it's branches is still easy to follow on Google Maps and am hoping to get the chance to walk it someday. When I actually did the railway in July, I was lucky to get CR 828 as my loco.

That said, I think my vote goes to Strathspey. The scenery is simply breathtaking, and I wasn't sitting down all the time (well, I was for the way to Broomhill, but not coming back!), which I was for most of the Bo'ness line. My one complaint about the Strathspey is that when I asked for a cup of coffee, I expected just that - a CUP of coffee, but I got a tray with a pot, a delicate cup and other stuff, which was not easy to keep steady while navigating some BR Mark I's under Steam power. I know it's not historically accurate, but a cup would've been easier and safer.

I only wish I got to spend more time on the Strathspey, if not for the Steam fair, but I had to get back to Aviemore for around 2 pm for the next train to Inverness. What's this at the end of the Steam fair they had all their steam locos coupled together passing through Boat of Garten station? Must've been one heck of a sight!

The Bo'ness line has it's major ups too. The viaduct between Birkhill and Manuel is impressive, and I loved being at Manuel watching Morayshire run round and seeing main line trains pass by on the E-G line. Although next time, I'll be sure to get some more air on the journey (and by that, I don't mean leaning right out of the window like a complete idiot). :)

Can I also just say that I really wish Hornby would make Morayshire or CR 828 as a model? Preferably the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.