• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite sights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
When travelling on the regularly on the network do you just keep your head down or is there a sight that makes you look out of the window every time?
Mine would be Thornaby yard. Even though it has been scaled back i still like to have a look at what is going on despite passing twice daily.
Lets see if there are any common interests.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not really much to see on my journey to work, and it's quite hard to see out of the window in the Voyager's vestibule where I stand most mornings. I do have a look at the traffic on the M32 Motorway and see what the stations are looking like at Stapleton Road & Lawrence Hill (it's easier on the way home as some trains stop there).

RJ

Established Member
I usually look at Old Oak Common when I pass there, always something of interest there - had to rub my eyes when I saw a 90 sitting at the exit road.

mrcheek

Established Member
When I travel by rail I might be reading, sleeping, eating, listening to music, or looking out of the window. Or a combination of many.
But, the one sight that I will always drop everything to see is the coastline around Dawlish.

Julian G

Established Member
Locally-
Interesting- Wembley Yard- there always seems to be a rich mix of activity going on there everyday
Dull- Sewage Works in Berrylands
I used to always look out for the EPS 08/37/73 at North Pole, now a memory :(

Foreign-
Everywhere in Switzerland
Most Interesting of all- Getting the view of the Rheinfalls when the train is approaching Schaffhausen from the South [ICE/IR Bern-Schaffausen]

AlexS

Established Member
Quite often have a look at Oxley, Washwood Heath, RTC, and Etches Park as far as railway goes.

A bizarre one is Albion Oil terminal in Oldbury, or rather the site of, it's quite mind boggling how this concrete expanse could once have been the largest oil terminal in europe.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Depends where I'm going, but when travelling between Newport and Cardiff ADJ yard is virtually a mandatory drop-everything-and-look sight, usually something of interest in there. Between Hereford and Newport, Panteg gets me looking up in case there is a 66 on a train waiting to leave. Newport - Bristol Parkway, it's East Usk. Approaching Bristol TM, I always check out what's in Kingsland Road sidings and what HSTs are in platforms 13 and 15.

Like I say, it depends where I'm travelling, but my eyes will be looking out of the window on most rail journeys.

adamp

Newton Heath depot... to see if anything interesting is new on there (never is) and the big viaduct just before Stockport coming from Manchester Piccadilly.

Mintona

Established Member
Lawley Street, Saltley, Washwood Heath and Hams Hall. Plus usually a few locos in between. Always on to a winner ;)

RJ

Established Member
I used to always look out for the EPS 08/37/73 at North Pole, now a memory :(

Ditto - I used to look what was sitting there then decide whether to wait for 0G02/0O07 at Olympia - 14:20 every weekday, tractor(s) without fail!

me123

Established Member
When on the Whifflet line, the approach to GLC and Polmadie depot always grab my attention for some reason. The former is spectacular IMHO; the views down the Clyde, all the track (and there is a lot) and you can pretty much guarantee that there're a couple of other trains running around at the same time.

When I go up North past Dundee, the views off to the North Sea are also spectacular. They never fail to grab my attention, whether in HST or Turbo. And of course, whenever I cross the Forth Bridge. Well, enough said.

EDIT: Some more spring to mind. Carstairs curve. It may be the worst thing about Scottish railways, but it's still amazing to see both ends of a Voyager from Coach C! As you take the train into Partick, some fantastic views over the Clyde. And mossend depot when travelling to Motherwell.

Zamracene749

Up here still always gaze along the Tyne and her bridges when leaving or approaching Newcastle.

The sight of Durham cathedral and castle lit up on a night when arriving over the viaduct from the south always stirs mixed feelings- good be back home but sad to end a journey or holiday.

Watching your train snake around the northern curves into York is still worth looking up for too.

Oh yeah and that bit on WCML where you race the cars on the motorway is always good too!

Respite

When travelling on the regularly on the network do you just keep your head down or is there a sight that makes you look out of the window every time?

I tend to look at most things out of the window, but then again when I'm on a train 9 times out of ten I'm driving it;) .

However seriously, Oxley depot to see how the 180's are rotting, Madley jcn as it was my first signalbox & My fav is Crewe, always stuff going on there, it's almost like a proper railway there!

Jordy

Established Member
Derby RTC, Etches Park and the sidings adjacent to the station - they always seem to have something interesting in them!

P156KWJ

Established Member
Derby RTC, Etches Park and the sidings adjacent to the station - they always seem to have something interesting in them!

ah of course - there's something different each day! atm they have some DBSOs and a flying banana and some 56s too

Status
Not open for further replies.