• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC Class 365

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
I would be very grateful if someone could give me a list of the 365 Networkers (as operated by FCC) that have been named.

Today, I snapped a shot of 'The Fenman' at Letchworth, as it formed a Cambridge service, and somebody I know was responsible for the naming of 365506, which hence became known as 'The Royston Express.'

If anyone out there knows the named 365s that would be very helpful, as I have all summer to chase them down! :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
From Wikipedia (as much as I hate it!):
365 506 - "The Royston Express"
365 513 - "Hornsey Depot"
365 514 - "Captain George Vancouver"
365 518 - "The Fenman"
365 527 - "Robert Stripe - Passengers' Champion"
365 530 - "The Interlink Partnership"
365 536 - "Rufus Barnes - Chief Executive of London Travelwatch for 25 years"

There isn't that much of summer left, luckily for you there aren't that many left to chase down!

Aictos

Established Member
From Wikipedia (as much as I hate it!):
365 506 - "The Royston Express"
365 513 - "Hornsey Depot"
365 514 - "Captain George Vancouver"
365 518 - "The Fenman"
365 527 - "Robert Stripe - Passengers' Champion"
365 530 - "The Interlink Partnership"
365 536 - "Rufus Barnes - Chief Executive of London Travelwatch for 25 years"

There isn't that much of summer left, luckily for you there aren't that many left to chase down!

You've forgotten 365537 which is named Daniel Edwards (1974-2010) Cambridge Driver.

Besides TheJunction is far more reliable then wikipedia, ;)

philjo

Established Member
In addition to the named units There are also the 4 units with the vinyls showing advertising liveries for local Stations on the route

365510 Cambridge & Ely
365519. Discover peterborough
365531. Norfolk - Nelson's county
365540 Garden Cities of Hertfordshire

HST Power

Established Member
Thanks very much to all of you responded. Today, I photographed a 365 on the lineside at Ickelford as it headed North towards Peterborough. When I studied my shot, I realized there was a string of boxed writing on the front and rear carriages. Unfortunately, the writing (and the running numbers) were blurred, though after some intense zooming, it became apparent that I had located 365 530 - "The Interlink Partnership."

Two down, six to go! :)

I'll add my shot a little later, as I haven't had time to upload my photos yet.

Aictos

Established Member
Thanks very much to all of you responded. Today, I photographed a 365 on the lineside at Ickelford as it headed North towards Peterborough. When I studied my shot, I realized there was a string of boxed writing on the front and rear carriages. Unfortunately, the writing (and the running numbers) were blurred, though after some intense zooming, it became apparent that I had located 365 530 - "The Interlink Partnership."

Two down, six to go! :)

I'll add my shot a little later, as I haven't had time to upload my photos yet.

Actually if you really want the full name, it's "The Intalink Partnership - promoting integrated transport in Hertforshire since 1999".

Barrett M95

Actually if you really want the full name, it's "The Intalink Partnership - promoting integrated transport in Hertforshire since 1999".

That's a nice catchy name. :roll:

Whatever happened to names like;
Sir Winston Churchill
The Wolf of Badenoch
Double Trigger
City of [insert city name]

Those 365's are nice units though. Needing freshened up, but I was pleasantly surprised when I took a trip on one. Quick, great acceleration, loads of space inside, bright and airy. Even the toilet was clean and functioning - not always a given on todays railway.

Skimble19

Established Member
365's are great, they just need a good refresh.. preferably one that actually includes cleaning panels.

HST Power

Established Member
365's are great, they just need a good refresh.. preferably one that actually includes cleaning panels.

I think the 365's are by far the best trains that FCC operate on the GN. They are fast, comfortable and don't feel like their about to fall into a million pieces when at high speed, like the 313s do.

MCR247

Established Member
They will be replaced by IEP on Kings Lynn runs, and the TLP on Cambridge & PBO runs that will go through TL (if thats still happening, its confusing!)

Skimble19

Established Member
Indeed, the situation re: trains going onto TL is still rather confusing, although it is thought to be almost certain that not all trains will go thru, and I can't see 317's being kept..

I suppose, but I do have an impossible dream that the 377 will one day join them in running fast services between London and Cambridge/Ely.
I ruddy hope not! Well, as long as they don't venture onto the PBO route I'm not as bothered, but I'd still rather the things were kept well away from it.

Believe that Cl. 313's and Cl. 365's are to form the 'Residual GN' fleet for services continuing into Kings Cross/Moorgate rather than through the Canal tunnels into STP.

Still no word on a 313 replacement though a Southern style full refurbishment would keep them going plenty, its amazing how well built and engineered the PEP and Mk. III EMU's are, obviously not drove 313's but they always seem pretty reliable, and never had a bother with a 319 :)

HST Power

Established Member
They will be replaced by IEP on Kings Lynn runs, and the TLP on Cambridge & PBO runs that will go through TL (if thats still happening, its confusing!)

Cambridge and PBO run that will what? I heard something about that but I'm still in the dark as to what is actually happening.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I hope the 365s stay and continue into King's Cross, as Hatfield won't be lengthened to 12-car length and so I doubt I'll get any trains that will go over to the TL side - without changing somewhere along the line (Finsbury Park I'd expect).

MCR247

Established Member
If all goes to plan (if that still is the plan, its all so confusing)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I think roughly the plan is (though nothing's finalised):
Cambridge (and Kings Lynn) and Peterborough "fast" services to be IEP
Cambridge and Peterborough "semi fast" and "slow" services to be Thameslink.
Letchworth, Hertford, Welwyn "slow" services (the 313s) to both Kings Cross and Moorgate to be ???? - with various speculation about 378s, the inner services to LOROL (not something suggested by anyone official) etc.

The 40 365s may well be surplus- they'd make a fine fleet for somewhere else.

Established Member
I'm not really a huge fan of 365s if I'm honest, I normally go to Liverpool Street instead of Kings Cross to get a 317 instead.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It takes all sorts!

Mind you, nothing wrong with a 317/6 and the 317s are generally reliable and equally quick (once up to speed) so I am never upset when one comes in instead of a 365/321.

I would say that given the ability to travel on many services that are declassified, it's somewhat nicer to be in first class on a 365 or 321 than a 317/1 though!!

millemille

The class 365's are mooted to have new traction equipment, including 4Q converter to allow regen on AC, fitted at level 5 overhaul in the next 18 months. The contract is out to tender at the moment.

This would open up a far larger number of routes they could be utilised on as at the moment the 365's are restricted by gauge and 50Hz issues with the current GTO traction switching frequencies interfering with reed track circuit relays.

Whether the 365's will operate on TL will, IMO, depend on whether the new TL stock will meet the procurement specification requirement of 1ms2 acceleration rates. The 365's achieve .77ms2 and it would be difficult to see how, with the service frequency mooted for TL, the slower accelerating 365's could operate on TL without impacting on following services if they are timetabled based upon the higher acceleration rates.

spurs4life

Class 365 are ok but they were built so poorly and now you struggle to get spares for them. and 317s are great units but FCC ones struggle to get to 100mph just about top out at mid 90s

jon0844

Veteran Member
I presume you mean poor quality parts, as they seem very solid.

But when it comes to things like the interior doors, or the window latches, or the vent hoppers, they truly are awful. Fortunately, these things don't stop the train being able to move!!

millemille

Class 365 are ok but they were built so poorly and now you struggle to get spares for them. and 317s are great units but FCC ones struggle to get to 100mph just about top out at mid 90s

I take it your work for FCC at Hornsey or Hertford House?

Status
Not open for further replies.